As the top dog in Intel’s lineup, the i9 brings a massive number of cores and incredible performance to the table. These CPUs are a no-brainer for anyone who can afford them, though people often get confused wondering which i9 to get. In the i9 13900K vs i9 13900KS comparison, we will look at the gaming performance of both processors.
- The i9 13900KS averaged about 4% more power throughout our gaming tests.
- The 13900KS ran about 2.5% hotter on average during the gaming tests.
- The i9 13900K is about 25% cheaper than the i9 13900KS.
i9 13900K Vs i9 13900KS
|Specifications||Core i9 13900KS||Core i9 13900K|
|Lithography||Intel 7||Intel 7|
|No. of Performance-cores||8||8|
|No. of Efficient-cores||16||16|
|Max Turbo Frequency||6.00GHz||5.80GHz|
|Intel Thermal Velocity Boost Frequency||6.00GHz||5.80GHz|
|Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency||5.80GHz||5.70GHz|
|Performance-core Max Turbo Frequency||5.40GHz||5.40GHz|
|Efficient-core Max Turbo Frequency||4.30GHz||4.30GHz|
|Performance-core Base Frequency||3.20GHz||3.00GHz|
|Efficient-core Base Frequency||2.40GHz||2.20GHz|
|Cache||36MB Intel® Smart Cache||36MB Intel® Smart Cache|
|Total L2 Cache||32MB||32MB|
|Processor Base Power||150W||125W|
|Maximum Turbo Power||253W||253W|
|Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)||128GB||128GB|
|Memory Types||Up to DDR5 5600MT/s Up to DDR4 3200MT/s||Up to DDR5 5600MT/s Up to DDR4 3200MT/s|
|Max no. of Memory Channels||2||2|
|Max Memory Bandwidth||89.6 GB/s||89.6 GB/s|
|ECC Memory Supported||Yes||Yes|
|Processor Graphics||Intel® UHD Graphics 770||Intel® UHD Graphics 770|
|Graphics Base Frequency||300MHz||300MHz|
|Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency||1.65GHz||1.65GHz|
|PCI Express Revision||5.0 and 4.0||5.0 and 4.0|
|PCI Express Configurations||Up to 1×16+4 | 2×8+4||Up to 1×16+4 | 2×8+4|
|Max no. of PCI Express Lanes||20||20|
|Launch Date||January 2023||October 2022|
|Best Motherboards||Motherboards For i9 13900KS||Motherboards For i9 13900K|
|Best RAM||RAM For Core i9 13900KS||RAM for Core i9 13900K|
|Best CPU Coolers||CPU Coolers For Core i9 13900KS||CPU Coolers For i9 13900K|
- Process Nodes: Both of these processors utilize Intel’s 7nm lithography.
- Core Count: Both the 13900K and KS have 24 cores, 16 of which are efficiency cores, while the rest are performance cores. This totals up to 32 threads.
- Memory: Both the i9s support DDR4 and DDR5 memory, with a maximum memory of up to 128GB. The Intel Core i9 13900K and KS support up to DDR5 5600MHz and up to DDR4 3200MHz.
- Clock Speeds: The Core i9 13900KS has a slightly higher maximum turbo frequency of 6.00GHz compared to the Core i9 13900K’s 5.80GHz.
- TDP: The Core i9 13900KS has a higher processor base power of 150W, while the Core i9 13900K has a base power of 125W.
i9 13900KS Vs i9 13900K: Gaming Benchmarks
In this section of the i9 13900K vs i9 13900KS comparison, we will see how both processors compare in real-world gaming benchmarks.
In an effort to maximize the workload on both these processors, all the games tested today were played at the 1080p resolution. The following tests were conducted on a standard test bench, and the specifications of this test bench are listed below:
- OS – Windows 10 pro
- MOBO – Asus ROG Strix Z790 – E Gaming
- COOLER – CORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE
- GPU – Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4090 24GB
- RAM – Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM
- SSD – Samsung 980 PRO 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
- HDD – WD Blue 4TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive PSU CORSAIR RMX SERIES RM1000X 1000 WATT
- In Hitman 3, the i9 13900K achieved an average of 204 FPS, while the i9 13900KS performed slightly better with an average of 207 FPS.
- The difference in performance grew in the metric of 1% lows while playing Hitman 3. The i9 13900K had 1% lows of 186 FPS, while the i9 13900KS had 1% lows of 164 FPS.
- Regarding power consumption, the i9 13900K consumed 128 watts, while the i9 13900KS had a slightly higher power draw of 134 watts.
- Both processors maintained similar temperature levels, with the i9 13900K operating at an average temperature of 62°C and the i9 13900KS at 65°C.
Far Cry 6
- In Far Cry 6, the i9 13900K sustained an average framerate of 170 FPS, while the i9 13900KS performed marginally better with an average of 175 FPS.
- During demanding gameplay sequences, the i9 13900K had 1% lows of 134 FPS, while the i9 13900KS had 1% lows of 155 FPS. These results are a reverse of the 1% lows of the previous game, with the KS being in a significant lead instead of the K.
- Rearing our head towards power consumption, the i9 13900K required about 107 watts to run Far Cry 6, while the i9 13900KS had a slightly higher power draw of 111 watts.
- The i9 13900K operated at an average temperature of 64°C, while the i9 13900KS ran significantly hotter at 67°C.
Related: Core i9 13900KS Vs Ryzen 9 7950X
God Of War
- In God of War, the i9 13900K achieved an average of 214 FPS, while the i9 13900KS had a slightly lower average of 211 FPS.
- During demanding gameplay moments, the i9 13900K had 1% lows of 178 FPS, whereas the i9 13900KS performed slightly better with 1% lows of 182 FPS.
- When taking a look at wattage, we see the i9 13900K consumed 121 watts, while the i9 13900KS had a slightly higher power draw of 124 watts.
- Both processors maintained similar temperature levels, with the i9 13900K operating at an average temperature of 68°C and the i9 13900KS being warmer with a peak of 70°C.
Also Read: Ryzen 9 7950X3D Vs i9-13900KS
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- In AC Valhalla, the i9 13900K achieved an average framerate of 188 FPS, while the i9 13900KS had a slightly lower average of 186 FPS.
- During demanding gameplay moments, the i9 13900K had 1% lows of 161 FPS, whereas the i9 13900KS performed slightly lower with 1% lows of 151 FPS.
- The i9 13900K had a power consumption of about 127 watts, while the i9 13900KS had a slightly higher power draw of around 133 watts.
- Both processors maintained similar temperature levels, with the i9 13900K operating at an average temperature of 67°C and the i9 13900KS at 70°C.
More From 13900K: i9-13900K Vs i9-12900K
Horizon Hero Dawn
- In Horizon Zero Dawn, the i9 13900K achieved an average of 218 FPS, while the i9 13900KS achieved a slightly lower average of 214 FPS.
- During graphically intensive moments, the i9 13900K had 1% lows of 174 FPS, whereas the i9 13900KS performed slightly better with 1% lows of 180 FPS.
- Regarding power consumption, the i9 13900K consumed 125 watts, while the i9 13900KS had a slightly higher power draw of 129 watts.
- Both processors maintained relatively similar temperature levels, with the i9 13900K operating at an average temperature of 73°C and the i9 13900KS at 71°C.
Also Read: i9-12900KS Vs i9-13900K
- In Cyberpunk 2077, the i9 13900K achieved an average of 154 FPS, while the i9 13900KS performed slightly better with an average of 160 FPS.
- During demanding gameplay moments, the i9 13900K had 1% lows of 132 FPS, whereas the i9 13900KS performed slightly better with 1% lows of 139 FPS.
- The i9 13900K consumed 117 watts in terms of power consumption, whereas the i9 13900KS was slightly more power-hungry, consuming about 128 watts.
- Both processors maintained relatively similar temperature levels, with the i9 13900K operating at an average temperature of 67°C and the i9 13900KS at 68°C.
Related: Ryzen 7 7800X3D Vs i9-13900K
i9 13900K Vs i9 13900KS: Overall Gaming Performance
Having discussed the performance of these processors in individual games, in this section of the i9 13900K vs i9 13900KS comparison, we will take a look at the average performance of these processors during our tests.
- The i9 13900K averaged 191 FPS over the 7 games tested, while the i9 13900KS was barely ahead with 192 FPS on average.
- 1% lows had the same story to tell. The 13900K had 1% lows of around 160 FPS, whereas the 13900KS had 1% lows of 161 FPS.
Overall, the performance of these chips do not hold a significant difference. We would be hard-pressed to find out that anyone but the most skilled of gamers could discern the performance delta between these two processors.
In terms of price to performance, the 13900K delivers 16.5% more power for each dollar you spend according to the launch MSRP of these chips and the performance we have measured in our tests.
Take a look at our guide on overclocking if you are curious to see the limits you can push your gaming setup to.
Also Read: Ryzen 9 7900X3D Vs i9-13900K
- The 13900K had an average power consumption of 121 watts during our benchmarks.
- The 13900KS drew 126 watts on average in our tests.
There is a measurable difference between the power consumption of both processors, though it is still not enough of a difference to buy one processor over another.
The performance per watt of the 13900K was about 3.5% better than the 13900KS, meaning you get almost equivalent performance on the non-S version whilst having a marginally lower power draw.
Also Read: Ryzen 9 7950X3D Vs Intel i9-13900K
- The average temperature of the 13900K was about 66.8°C during our tests.
- The 13900KS averaged a temperature of 68.5°C in our tests.
This metric had the biggest disparity in our tests, though it is hardly a deciding factor because both of these processors lie well within safe temperature margins.
The higher temperatures of the KS are due to its incredibly high clock speed, making it generate more heat.
If you want to make sure that your CPU stays within safe temperature ranges while you game, take a look at our guide on CPU temperatures while gaming.
Also Check: i9-13900K Vs i7-13700K
Price And Availability
The Intel Core i9 13900K has an MSRP of $589, while the KS retails for around $689.
These processors are recent enough to be available at any big tech store of your choosing (like MicroCenter) though their high-end nature might make them hard to come by anywhere else.
Also Read: Intel i9-13900k Vs. Ryzen 9 7950X
Which One Should You Go For?
After covering all the metrics related to these two CPUs, we will now examine the target audience or user base of both processors in this section of the i9 13900K vs i9 13900KS comparison.
Starting with the 13900KS, it is not a processor for anyone concerned with value. It gives top-of-the-line specifications with silicone that is abnormally perfect. This CPU is the epitome of the law of diminishing returns, but for folks looking for the absolute best performance in a processor, the i9 13900KS is the way to go.
On the other hand, the i9 13900K offers a much more reasonable solution to ultra-high-end gamers. It offers about the same performance as the i9 13900KS while costing a hundred dollars less. This leads us to recommend this processor to most people looking to get a CPU between these two options, though there might be better options for gaming in the overall gaming landscape.
Pros And Cons
|Core i9 13900KS||Core i9 13900K|
|The 6GHz clock makes this processor the highest-performing chip on the market for most processing tasks.||Despite it being the highest-performing chip in Intel’s lineup, there are some processors from the competition that can easily outperform this beast.||It gives a much more reasonable approach to the demographic of the 13900KS by offering almost the exact specifications while being significantly less costly.||Though more reasonable than the 13900KS, it is still outperformed by much cheaper chips from AMD.|
|The general perks of being an Intel chip trickle down to this processor, i.e. the hybrid core design, the choice of DDR4 and DDR5 etc.||Buying such an extreme tier of product to improve gaming performance is overkill for most consumers.||It has slightly less power consumption compared to the i9 13900KS.||For enthusiast level buyers, this product will leave performance on the table that you might otherwise be able to salvage with the 13900KS.|
Frequently Asked Questions
The silicone wafers used to make this processor are so low in yield that it drives up the cost of these processors significantly.
Yes. With some luck, you might even be able to overclock the 13900K to achieve the clock speed of the 13900KS.
For most intents and purposes, the differences between the i9 13900K and KS are very limited and will not reflect in real world use.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔