As the RTX 4060 graphics card makes its underwhelming debut, gamers are eager to know how it performs against the other RTX 40 series cards. In this comparison of RTX 4060 vs RTX 4070, we’ll examine how the 4060 measures up against its predecessor to determine which is better for your gaming preferences.
- The RTX 4060 was about 30% slower than the RTX 4070 in our gaming tests.
- Power consumption was 33% lower on the RTX 4060 compared to the RTX 4070 in our gaming tests.
- The RTX 4060 has an MSRP of $299, whereas the RTX 4070 has an MSRP of $599.
RTX 4060 Vs RTX 4070
|Technical Specs||NVIDIA RTX 4070||Nvidia RTX 4060|
|Architecture||Ada Lovelace||Ada Lovelace|
|Memory Speed||504.2 GB/s||272.0 GB/s|
|L2 Cache||36 MB||24MB|
|Best Variants||Best RTX 4070||Best RTX 4060|
- Process Size: Both the NVIDIA RTX 4070 and NVIDIA RTX 4060 utilize a 5nm process size, the best you can get in a modern graphics card.
- Clock Speed: As expected, the higher tier card has a faster base and boost clocks than the 4060. The RTX 4070 has a base clock 1920MHz and a boost clock of 2475MHz, while the RTX 4060 has a slightly lower base clock of 1830MHz and a boost clock of 2460MHz.
- VRAM: The RTX 4070 features 12GB of GDDR6X VRAM, the bare minimum for modern graphics cards to play all games comfortably. On the flip side, the RTX 4060 has 8GB of GDDR6 VRAM, which is enough for most games, though some current games require this as a minimum, which sounds like the RTX 4060 is obsolete at launch because of its small memory capacity.
- Bus Width: Both the 4070 and the 4060 have smaller bus sizes than the previous generation; the 4070 has a bus width of 192-bit, whereas the 4060 undercuts this even further with a 128-bit bus. Having wider buses on both these cards could have significantly increased their in-game performance.
- TDP: The RTX 4070 has a TDP of 200W, while the RTX 4060, in contrast, has a lower TDP of 115W. Because of their modern manufacturing process, both cards are incredibly power-efficient.
RTX 4070 Vs RTX 4060: Gaming Benchmarks
Now that we have an idea of the architectural differences between these cards, in this part of the comparison, we will look at the difference in performance these cards have in various games. The tests below were conducted on the 1080p resolution using a test bench designed not to bottleneck these systems. The specifications of this test bench are given below:
- OS – Windows 10 Pro
- CPU – Ryzen 9 5900X 5TH GEN 12c/24t
- CPU Cooler – AIO MarsGaming ML-ONE360 Black
- RAM – Crucial RAM 32 GB (4×8) DDR4 Dual Channel 3600 Mhz CL 16
- Hard Disk – Samsung SSD 970 Evo
- Motherboard – MSI X570 A Pro Gaming
- Power Supply – Gigabyte P850GM 850W
- Case – Hyte Y60 Case White
- Case Fans – Miwatt RGB Series
- During our benchmark tests conducted on Diablo 4, the RTX 4070 demonstrated superior performance in comparison to the RTX 4060. The RTX 4070 achieved an average frame rate of 255 FPS, surpassing the RTX 4060’s average of 206 FPS.
- In terms of 1% lows, the RTX 4070 exhibited a stronger performance than the RTX 4060, as expected after seeing the average framerate. The RTX 4070 delivered 1% lows of 178 FPS, while the RTX 4060 reported 1% lows of 157 FPS.
- Coming to power consumption, both the cards scaled almost linearly with their difference in performance. The RTX 4070 drew 191 watts, whereas the RTX 4060 consumed 113 watts of power.
- Regarding temperatures, both graphics cards performed similarly due to their coolers being scaled-up or scaled-down versions of each other based on the power requirements. The RTX 4070 maintained an average temperature of 69°C, while the RTX 4060 maintained an average temperature of 68°C.
Similar Comparison: A750 Vs RTX 4060
- Moving on to Fortnite Battle Royale, a similar pattern to the last game emerges. The RTX 4060 maintains superiority with a higher framerate of 92 FPS, whereas the 4060 stays behind with 63 FPS.
- Turning our attention to the 1% lows, the RTX 4070 once again demonstrated its superiority. It maintained 1% lows of 54 FPS, surpassing the RTX 4060’s 1% lows of 48 FPS.
- Power consumption was also higher on the RTX 4070. The card recorded 187 watts drawn from the wall, whereas the RTX 4060 drew around 114 watts.
- When it comes to temperatures, the RTX 4070 maintained an average temperature of 61°C, while the RTX 4060 ran much hotter at an average temperature of 67°C.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RTX 3090
Star Wars Jedi Survivor
- Next up on the chopping block was Star Wars Jedi Survivor, and the RTX 4070 did not disappoint when this game was tested. It had an average of 89 FPS, significantly improved from the performance of the RTX 4060, sitting at 62 FPS.
- The difference in performance between these two cards shrank when 1% lows were brought into play. The RTX 4070 had lows of 57 FPS compared to the 4060’s more stuttery 48 FPS.
- Eyeing the power consumption on both cards, the RTX 4070 was drawing significantly more power at 181 watts, while the 4060 consumed 111 watts.
- As with all else, the temperatures were also slightly more toasty on the RTX 4070. It had a peak temperature of 67°C, whereas the RTX 4060 was slightly cooler at 66°C.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RTX 3080
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2
- In our Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 tests, the RTX 4070 delivered an average of 131 FPS, while the RTX 4060 achieved a much less impressive 88 FPS.
- Coming to 1% lows, the RTX 4060 had more stuttery performance with 42 FPS, compared to the RTX 4070’s much smoother 65 FPS.
- As we’ve observed in the tests we’ve run so far, the RTX 4070 continued to have a higher power draw at 182 watts, whereas the 4060 managed to get 113 watts.
- Temperature-wise, the RTX 4070 maintained a temperature of 64°C, whereas the RTX 4060 ran slightly warmer at 67°C.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RX 6800
Dead Island 2
- Taking a look at our benchmark of Dead Island 2, the RTX 4070 only grew the difference in performance between these two cards. The RTX 4070 had an average framerate of 120 FPS, whereas the 4060 could only manage 70 FPS.
- The lows were also superior on the 4070. It maintained a minimum of 77 FPS, whereas the 4060 managed to maintain only 52 FPS.
- Of course, the better performance of the 4070 does not come without a heftier power draw. It had a consumption of 173 watts, compared to 113 watts on the RTX 4060.
- Regarding temperatures, both graphics cards maintained the same temperature of 68°C.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RX 7900 XTX
- Testing the very popular Cyberpunk 2077, we saw that the 4070 showed no end to its dominance over the 4060. The card got an average of 80 FPS, whereas the cheaper 4060 got only 57 FPS.
- When looking at the 1% lows, the RTX 4070 consistently had a minimum frame rate of 47 FPS. On the other hand, the RTX 4060 had a lower performance with a recorded rate of 30 FPS.
- Coming to the topic of power consumption, the RTX 4070 reflected its higher performance by drawing 173 watts. In contrast, the 4060 drew about 122 watts.
- The temperatures were also slightly better on the RTX 4070 at 65°C, with the RTX 4060 reaching a temperature of about 66°C.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RX 6900 XT
- Stepping into the graphically demanding world of Hogwarts Legacy, the RTX 4070 got an average framerate of 110 FPS, miles ahead of the 75 FPS of the RTX 4060.
- 1% lows somewhat equalized the performance of both these cards, with the 4070 maintaining 48 FPS, whereas the 4060 was slightly behind with a framerate of 44 FPS.
- Power consumption was peculiarly lower on the more powerful 4070 at 92 watts, while even the 4060 drew around 115 watts.
- Temperatures were also much lower on the RTX 4070 in this game at 53°C, whereas the 4060 had a peak temperature of around 67°C.
Similar Comparison: RTX 4060 Vs RX 6800
The Witcher 3 – Next Gen
- In The Witcher 3 – Next Gen, the RTX 4070 demonstrated an average of 73 FPS, outperforming the RTX 4060, which achieved 52 FPS.
- Examining the 1% lows, the RTX 4070 maintained a minimum frame rate of 49 FPS, while the RTX 4060 recorded 50 FPS.
- When considering power consumption, the RTX 4070 consumed 199 watts, whereas the RTX 4060 utilized 114 watts.
- In terms of temperatures, the RTX 4070 operated at a temperature of 66°C, while the RTX 4060 reached a temperature of 68°C.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RX 7900 XT
Total War Warhammer 3
- Total War Warhammer 3 also ran unsurprisingly better on the RTX 4070, with an impressive 129 FPS, while the RTX 4060 had a mild performance of 80 FPS.
- Examining the 1% lows, the RTX 4070 demonstrated a minimum frame rate of 110 FPS, while the RTX 4060 recorded 72 FPS.
- As we’ve seen throughout these tests, the RTX 4070 continued to be more power-hungry than the RTX 4060. It drew about 198 watts, whereas the 4060 only drew around 112 watts.
- Temperatures were also cooler on the RTX 4070, with a temperature of around 65°C, compared to the hotter temperatures we saw on the 4060, which reached around 68°C.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RTX 3080 Ti
- Finally, in the last game of our testing, Redfall performed much better on the 4070, though the margin was smaller than usual in this game. The 4060 had a framerate of 93 FPS, whereas the 4070 had a framerate of around 102 FPS.
- The difference in performance was more noticeable in 1% lows than average framerates, with the RTX 4070 giving an acceptable 58 FPS, whereas the 4060 had lows of around 39 FPS.
- In terms of power consumption, the RTX 4070 consumed 144 watts, while the RTX 4060 utilized 96 watts.
- Finally, the RTX 4070 was cooler than the 4060 in Redfall, with a temperature of 58°C, whereas the 4060 reached a higher peak of 62°C.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RTX 4070 Ti
Overall Gaming Performance
- It was expected that one card would outperform the other, but the difference in performance turned out to be larger than anticipated. This can be explained by the fact that the RTX 4070 has a wider bus width and more VRAM. Additionally, the higher-end card has a better ray-tracing implementation, making it a more powerful option overall.
- The RTX 4070 had an average framerate of around 125 FPS in the games tested, whereas the RTX 4060 had an average performance of around 89 FPS.
- 1% lows showed a similar disparity in performance. The RTX 4070 has lows of around 75 FPS whereas the RTX 4060 had average 1% lows of 60 FPS.
If you want to get the most performance out of your graphics card, we recommend reading our guide on the best GPU overclocking software.
- Because of the same architecture implemented in both cards, the power consumption of the two scales almost linearly with their performance.
- The RTX 4070 averaged 168 watts of power, while the RTX 4060 consumed 113 watts on average when testing the card at 1080p.
- This turns out to be the RTX 4060 consuming about 33% less power than its more powerful brother.
If this talk of power consumption has piqued your curiosity about how many watts a gaming PC consumes, read our article on the matter.
- The better cooling capabilities of the 4070 can be attributed to the larger fan and cooling solution used on the card.
- The RTX 4070 had an average peak temperature of around 64°C.
- The RTX 4060 ran noticeably warmer than the RTX 4070, with an average peak temperature of around 68°C.
Note: The cooling performance of the card you purchase will vary with each after-market distributor.
Safe GPU idle temperatures are essential to remember if you want your graphics card to remain in good condition for years. For more guidance, read our article on the subject.
Price And Availability
The RTX 4060 has a launch MSRP of $299, whereas the RTX 4070 comes in at double the price of $599.
As for availability, both these graphics cards should be available at any retail store of your choice, as well as any online retailer such as Amazon.
Also Check: RTX 4060 Vs RTX 3070 Ti
RTX 4060 Vs RTX 4070: Which One Is Right For You?
- The champion of this comparison is the RTX 4070 in terms of performance, though this victory is not as black and white as it seems. The card only provides 30% more performance while costing twice as much as the RTX 4060.
- The RTX 4060 has a less power-hungry design, allowing it to consume about 33% less power than its rival.
- Both these cards are feature-rich with their inclusion of frame generation and ray tracing, both of which can significantly improve your gaming experience.
Pros And Cons
|RTX 4060||RTX 4070|
|The modest power consumption of this card makes it highly suitable for compact, low-profile builds.||Compared to the cards of yesteryear, it is severely lacking in baseline performance.||The performance of this card with and without DLSS is impressive, considering the larger GPU landscape.||It has a ridiculously bad price-to-performance ratio.|
|With DLSS 3 support, this card offers the potential to double gaming performance, provided users are willing to tolerate certain artifacts.||You can get better deals for the price of this card if you buy a mid to high-tier card from the previous generations of AMD or Nvidia GPUs.||Similar to the RTX 4060, this graphics card incorporates features that enable it to outperform its hardware capabilities.||You will not be impressed by the performance of this card in titles that do not support DLSS 3.|
Because of its high price, we recommend getting a used 3080 Ti or the equivalent AMD card instead of buying the RTX 4070.
The RX 6800 XT is equivalent to the RTX 4070 in terms of performance, though not in features.
Unlike the RTX 4060 Ti, this card only comes in an 8GB variant.
More From RTX 4070
More From RTX 4060
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔