In our earlier comparison, we observed AMD’s top-tier RX 7900 XTX surpassing NVIDIA’s last-generation RTX 3080 Ti in performance benchmarking. Now, we’ll review the RTX 4070 vs RX 7900 XTX. This time, we aim to delve even deeper into the extent of their performance difference.
- Gaming Performance: In our extensive review, the RX 7900 XTX outperformed the RTX 4070 by 48.2% with an average FPS of 121.7 compared to only 74.4 FPS achieved by the RTX 4070.
- Power Efficiency: We also observed that the RTX 4070 consumes 48.1% less power than the RX 7900 XTX.
- Thermal Efficiency: The RTX 4070 showed us that it is 8.4% more thermally efficient than the RX 7900 XTX.
|Technical Specs||GeForce RTX 4070||Radeon RX 7900 XTX|
|GPU Name||AD104||Navi 31|
|Architecture||Ada Lovelace||RDNA 3.0|
|Base Clock||1920 MHz||1855 MHz|
|Boost Clock||2475 MHz||2499 MHz|
|Memory Bus Width||192-bit||384 bit|
|Memory Bandwidth||504.2GB/s||960.0 GB/s|
|Suggested PSU||550 W||750 W|
|Release Date||Apr 12th, 2023||Nov 3rd, 2022|
|Approximate Price||599 USD||999 USD|
|Best Variants||Best RTX 4070 Cards||Best RX 7900 XTX Cards|
- Process Node: Both the RTX 4070 and the RX 7900 XTX employ a 5nm process size. This shows how both AMD and Nvidia are aiming to pack goodness in smaller sizes.
- Clock Speed: The RX 7900 XTX operates at a base clock of 1855 MHz which can be ramped up to 2499 MHz. Whereas, the RTX 4070 leads in this area by having a base clock of 1920 MHz, which can be boosted up to 2475 MHz.
- VRAM: In terms of memory, the RTX 4070 arrives with a 12GB DDR6X memory, whereas the RX 7900 XTX comes with a whopping 24GB DDR6X memory.
- TDP: With regards to the TDP, the RX 7900 XTX arrives with a 130W TDP rating. On the other hand, the RTX 4070 has a lower TDP rating of 355W, showing that it is relatively less power-consuming.
- Supported Technologies: The RTX 4070 employs Nvidia’s DLSS 3 technology, using AI upscaling to enhance gaming visuals and performance. However, the latest RX 7900 XTX uses FSR (using FidelityFX Super Resolution), which is known to double the framerates.
RTX 4070 Vs RX 7900 XTX: Gaming Benchmarks
Now that the technical aspects of the RTX 4070 and RX 7900 XTX are scrutinized, we’ll shift the focus to the next stage of comparison. This is where we will assess the performance of these two GPUs through thorough testing using various modern games on 4K resolution.
Here are the specs of the testing rig:
- CPU: Intel Core i9 13900K
- Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z790 – E Gaming
- Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 6000MHz
- Storage Drive: Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD
- CPU Cooler: CORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE
- Power Supply: CORSAIR RMX SERIES RM1000X 1000 WATT
- Operating System: Windows 11
- Right from the start, the RX 7900 XTX makes it clear to us that it outperforms the RTX 4070 in terms of average FPS by a whopping 44.7%, with 164 FPS compared to the RTX 4070’s 104 FPS.
- When it comes to 1% lows, the RX 7900 XTX outperforms the RTX 4070 by 53.2%, with frame rates of 126 FPS and 73 FPS, respectively.
- The RX 7900 XTX surpasses the RTX 4070 by a staggering 70%, displaying an impressive 86 FPS in contrast to the RTX 4070’s 41 FPS. This shows us its higher capabilities.
- While checking the 1% lows, we see that the RX 7900 XTX dominates the RTX 4070 in terms of 1% lows, delivering a significant 62.2% increase with 59 FPS compared to 31 FPS.
God Of War
- In the race for average FPS, we observe that the RX 7900 XTX emerges as the winner, exhibiting a remarkable 41.1% increase with 123 FPS, while the RTX 4070 lags behind with only 81 FPS.
- We notice that the difference between the 1% lows of the RX 7900 XTX and RTX 4070 is noticeable, with the RX 7900 XTX providing a superior performance of 56.2%, showcasing 107 FPS versus 60 FPS.
Horizon Zero Dawn
- In our observation, the RX 7900 XTX outshines the RTX 4070 when it comes to average FPS, achieving a noteworthy 52% increase with 123 FPS, while the RTX 4070 falls behind at just 72 FPS.
- With a 62.4% difference of 1% lows between the two, the RX 7900 XTX shows us that it surpasses the RTX 4070 at 1% lows, delivering an impressive 103 FPS versus 54 FPS.
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- With a remarkable 38.3% increase and an impressive 118 FPS, the RX 7900 XTX again shows us that it performs better than the RTX 4070 in terms of average FPS, which is limited to just 80 FPS.
- The RX 7900 XTX excels in 1% lows when we compare it to the RTX 4070, where it exhibits a remarkable 45% increase with 106 FPS compared to 67 FPS.
Marvel’s Spiderman Remastered
- It’s no surprise to us that the RX 7900 XTX beats the RTX 4070 in terms of average FPS, with a significant 49.5% increase resulting in 73 FPS, while the RTX 4070 manages only 44 FPS.
- Under our observation of the 1% lows, the RX 7900 XTX again outmatches the RTX 4070 by a significant 65.3%, with frame rates of 67 FPS and 34 FPS, respectively.
Forza Horizon 5
- The RX 7900 XTX seals the deal with this last game, where it is ahead of its rival again, delivering an outstanding 50% increase with 165 FPS, compared to the RTX 4070’s 99 FPS.
- We see that the RX 7900 XTX delivers a significant 37.3% improvement over the RTX 4070 in 1% lows, delivering frame rates of 127 FPS compared to 87 FPS.
Overall Gaming Performance
- After carefully examining the benchmark results of several games, it is evident to us that RX 7900 XTX is the clear winner as it delivered superior performance to the RTX 4070 in terms of FPS and 1% lows across all games.
- Expectedly, the RTX 4070 failed to keep up with the RX 7900 XTX in terms of average FPS, with the latter achieving 121.7 FPS compared to the RTX 4070’s 74.4 FPS.
- To put it differently, the RX 7900 XTX achieves a higher average FPS than the RTX 4070, with an impressive difference of 48.2%.
Average Power Consumption
- Our testing revealed that the Radeon RX 7900 XTX consistently consumed more power than the RTX 4070.
- To emphasize, the RTX 4070 showed us that it utilized an average power consumption of only 192.3 W, which is 48.1% lower than the RX 7900 XTX’s average of 314.3 W.
Average Thermal Statistics
- According to our calculations, the RTX 4070 operated at a lower average temperature of 62°C, while the RX 7900 XTX had an average temperature of 67.5°C.
- This makes it evident to us that the RX 7900 XTX exhibited lower thermal efficiency compared to the RTX 4070, with an 8.4% difference in their average thermal statistics.
Pricing And Availability
- After our extensive market analysis, we found that the RX 7900 XTX arrives with an MSRP of $999, while the RTX 4070 has a price tag of $599, costing almost 50% less than the RX 7900 XTX.
- However, it is important to note that pricing is subject to change based on specific models and variants. For example, ASUS and MSI launch special variants, which may be more expensive.
What We Recommend
We now know that the RX 7900 XTX provides a noticeable 48.2% increase in average FPS production compared to the RTX 4070; the latter is a cost-effective alternative, priced at 50% less than the former.
Apart from pricing, we conclude that the RTX 4070 is a better option than the RX 7900 XTX when it comes to thermal efficiency, as it generates 8.4% less heat on average.
Now that both facts are stated, we still recommend you go for the RTX 4070. While the RX 7900 XTX is known for delivering exceptional performance, the RTX 4070 is a more cost-effective option that has an advantage in factors such as thermal efficiency and power consumption, and it provides over 60 FPS on 4K on most games.
Pros And Cons
|GeForce RTX 4070||Significant improvement in performance compared to the previous generation.|
DLSS 3.0 is available, providing enhanced image quality and performance.
|Lacks support for DisplayPort 2.0.
Moderate performance at 4K.
|Radeon RX 7900 XTX||Strong gaming performance at 1440p and 4K|
Well-designed reference card
Competitive pricing compared to NVIDIA
|Remains a relatively costly option.
Takes a lot of slot space.
No, the RX 7900 XTX is not significantly better than the RTX 4070 Ti at ray tracing. While the former has more ray tracing cores, each core performs better than the latter.
The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 has 12GB of GDDR6X RAM, while the Radeon RX 7900 XTX has 24GB of GDDR6X memory.
The RTX 4070 uses 40.6% less power than the RX 7900 XTX, according to our benchmark tests.
More From RX 7900 XTX
More From RTX 4070
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
I am Wajih Hyder Chohan – a PC Hardware Nerd who always analyzes the latest products and reviews them. Usually, people call me boring, but I can’t limit my love for Hardware!