Our previous comparison saw AMD’s flagship RX 7900 XT outperforming NVIDIA’s last-gen RTX 3080 Ti in terms of performance. Now, we turn our attention to the new RTX 4070 vs RTX 4080 showdown, where we aim to examine the extent of the difference in their performance.
- In our benchmark tests, the RTX 4080 demonstrated a 50% lead over the NVIDIA RTX 4070 in terms of average FPS. The RTX 4080 achieved 90 FPS, while the RTX 4070 only produced 60 FPS.
- The RTX 4080 also uses around 50% more power than the RTX 4070 to give you all that extra performance.
- Regarding thermal efficiency, the RTX 4080 showed 8.3% better results in benchmark tests than the RTX 4070.
|Technical Specs||GeForce RTX 4070||GeForce RTX 4080|
|Architecture||Ada Lovelace||Ada Lovelace|
|Memory Bandwidth||504.2GB/s||716.8 GB/s|
|Suggested PSU||550 W||700 W|
|Release Date||Apr 12th, 2023||Nov 16th, 2022|
|MSRP||599 USD||1,199 USD|
|Best Variants||Best RTX 4070||Best RTX 4080|
- Process Node: The RTX 4070 and RTX 4080 are both built on a 5nm process node, making them energy-efficient and capable of delivering strong performance.
- Clock Speeds: The RTX 4070 has a base clock of 1920MHz and a boost clock of 2475MHz, providing solid clock speeds for gaming and graphics tasks. The RTX 4080 features a higher base clock of 2205MHz and a boost clock of 2505MHz, offering even better performance potential.
- VRAM: The RTX 4070 is equipped with 12GB of GDDR6X memory, providing ample memory for gaming and content creation tasks. It has a 192-bit memory bus. The GeForce RTX 4080 boasts a larger 16GB of GDDR6X memory, delivering more memory capacity for demanding workloads. It has a wider 256-bit memory bus, which may lead to improved memory bandwidth.
- TDP: The GeForce RTX 4070 has a TDP of 200 Watts. The GeForce RTX 4080, on the other hand, features a higher TDP of 320 Watts, signifying its greater power requirements and thermal considerations.
RTX 4070 Vs RTX 4080: Gaming Benchmarks
After examining the technical aspects of the RTX 4070 and RTX 4080, it’s time to move on to the next stage of the comparison. Our goal now is to evaluate the performance of these two graphics cards through comprehensive and rigorous testing using a variety of modern games.
Here are the specs of the testing rig:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
- Motherboard: Asus TUF B550-Plus
- Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Series 32GB 3600 MHz
- Storage Drive: Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen4 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD
- CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 Esports Duo
- Power Supply: EVGA 1000W Gold
- Operating System: Windows 10
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
- When we fired up Assassin’s Creed Odyessy on either card, we were shocked at the difference between the two. The RTX 4070 had an average framerate of 58 FPS, while the RTX 4080 was much faster, with an average of 84 FPS.
- The 1% lows were around 34 FPS on the RTX 4070 and 40 FPS on the 4080 in our testing.
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- The huge gap in performance continued into our test of AC Valhalla, with the RTX 4070 averaging 64 FPS, while its bigger brother had an average of 93 FPS.
- The 1% lows hung around 48 FPS for the RTX 4070, while the RTX 4080 was more playable with lows of 61 FPS.
- Our test of Borderlands 3 showed no mercy to the RTX 4070 as well, with an average of 58 FPS compared to the 92 FPS that the RTX 4080 had coming on average.
- Both cards suffered in terms of their 1% lows in this game, with the 4070 getting around 29 FPS, while the RTX 4080 had minimums of 38 FPS.
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare II
- Both cards were stretched to their limits in our test of CoD MW II, with the 4070 averaging a 46 FPS average, while the RTX 4080 was much more playable with an average of 75 FPS.
- Thankfully, the 1% lows did not deviate too far from the averages, with the 4070 hanging around 42 FPS, while the RTX 4080 had minimums of around 66 FPS.
- Both of these high-end graphics cards fell flat in our testing of Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k, with the 4070 getting an average framerate of 29 FPS, while the RTX 4080 was much farther ahead with a framerate of 47 FPS.
- The 1% lows were even more frustrating on both cards, with the RTX 4070 hanging around 25 FPS, while the RTX 4080 had minimums of close to 39 FPS.
- The difference in performance between the two cards was very apparent in Days Gone. Our tests reported an average framerate of 69 FPS for the RTX 4070, while the RTX 4080 was cruising with a framerate of 108 FPS on average.
- The 1% lows fell below sixty on the RTX 4070, around 42 FPS, to be precise. The RTX 4080, however, maintained a relatively smooth 64 FPS minimum.
The Witcher 3 Next Gen
- Our two graphics cards struggled in our playthrough of The Witcher 3 Next Gen as well. The RTX 4070 had an average framerate of around 34 FPS, while the RTX 4080 had a framerate of 55 FPS.
- The 1% lows were around 30 FPS on the 4070, while the RTX 4080 had minimums of around 44 FPS.
Forza Horizon 5
- The RTX 4080 regained its ground in our test of Forza Horizon 5 with an average framerate of 106 FPS, while the RTX 4070 had an average of around 72 FPS.
- The 1% lows were passable on both cards in this game, around 64 FPS on the 4070 and around 88 FPS on the 4080.
- Being a rather easy-to-run game, both cards ran GTA V without any hitches. Our tests showed the RTX 4070 had an average framerate of 83 FPS, while the RTX 4080 showcased around 118 FPS.
- The 1% lows hovered around 66 FPS for the RTX 4070 and around 85 FPS for the RTX 4080.
Horizon Zero Dawn
- The RTX 4070 had an average framerate of 79 FPS in our test of this Play Station port, while the RTX 4080 faired much better with an average framerate of 116 FPS.
- The 1% lows were around 68 FPS for the RTX 4070, while the RTX 4080 was much further ahead with a performance of 96 FPS.
Red Dead Redemption 2
- Finally, the last game on the chopping block for these cards was Red Dead Redemption 2. Our tests showed that the RTX 4080 had an impressive average framerate of around 104 FPS, while the RTX 4070 gave a performance closer to 68 FPS.
- The 1% lows were around 24 FPS for the RTX 4070, while the RTX 4080 dropped to a framerate of 43 FPS in difficult-to-render moments.
Overall Gaming Performance
Upon analyzing the benchmark results from multiple games, it becomes evident that one graphics card prevails over the other in the competition of RTX 4070 vs RTX 4080.
The RTX 4070 had an average framerate of 60 FPS, while the RTX 4080 was a whopping 50% in front of it with an approximate average of 90 FPS. This establishes the RTX 4070 as a card that can barely handle 4k gaming, whereas the RTX 4080 is a card that excels in it.
Average Power Consumption
Selecting a graphics card that provides excellent performance without crossing the power threshold is critical. So, while conducting our tests, we found the RTX 4070 consumed around 183 watts of power on average through our gaming tests at 4k, while the RTX 4080 consumed around 277 watts.
This also equates to a 50% difference between the two cards, scaling almost exactly linearly to the performance difference.
Average Thermal Statistics
The average peak temperature of RTX 4070 was around 55°C, while the RTX 4080 had a peak of around 50.5°C. The higher temperature of the RTX 4070 is very significant, and it can cause thermal limiting if you put a large amount of stress on the GPU.
The difference in temperature between two cards is very heavily dependent on a multitude of factors, so take this difference with a grain of salt.
Pricing And Availability
The RTX 4080 has an MSRP of $1199, while the RTX 4070 comes in at under half the price, around $549. This price difference puts each card in completely separate leagues.
Both cards should be accessible at most computer parts stores around the globe because of their widespread popularity.
What We Recommend
Now that we have an idea of the performance of the RTX 4080 vs RTX 4070, this part of the comparison will look at the overall demographics of both cards.
The RTX 4080 had around 50% more performance on average than the RTX 4070, putting it in a league of its own. Still, it is double the price, which will make most people dismiss this card as a viable option.
The RTX 4070, however, gives remarkable performance when contrasted with the RTX 4080, which paints it as a marvellously price-effective card. For most people, there is no denying the drop in price going from the 4080 to the RTX 4070, which is why we recommend it to most gamers.
Pros And Cons
|GeForce RTX 4070||-Impressive performance jump compared to the last generation.|
-Avaialability of DLSS 3.0
|-Doesn't support DisplayPort 2.0.
-Average performance at 4K.
|GeForce RTX 4080||-Major improvement in ray tracing performance.|
-It consumes less power than the RTX 4090.
|-Doesn't support DisplayPort 2.0.
-Way more expensive compared to the older generation.
With the recent price hikes of consumer graphics cards, buying such expensive GPUs is not worth it until the price drops. Still, if you want the thrill of the latest and greatest games have to offer, the RTX 4080 is a good option.
Nvidia DLSS has its perks. It is generally regarded as looking better than FSR, but the newer AMD cards can use FSR on a driver level, meaning no game support is required.
More From RTX 4070
More From RTX 4080
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
Abdemanaf is a skilled creative writer who has been honing his craft since 2011. While initially working in different fields, he found a passion for technology and has been exploring the tech world since early 2015. Over the years, he has developed an in-depth knowledge of the latest tech trends and product offerings by various companies.
Abdemanaf’s writing reflects his analytical mindset and ability to think critically. He has a knack for breaking down complex technical information into easily digestible pieces, making his articles engaging and accessible to readers from all backgrounds. In February 2022, he joined Tech4Gamers as a blog and product comparison writer, where he has been able to hone his skills further.
As a writer, Abdemanaf is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest technological advancements and trends, enabling him to provide readers with the most relevant and accurate information. He is always eager to learn more and is constantly seeking new challenges to improve his skills.
Get In Touch: [email protected]