Previously, we put AMD’s flagship, the RX 7900 XTX, against NVIDIA’s last-gen RTX 3080 Ti and found that Team Red stayed ahead by around 20 to 50% better performance. This time, we’ll be testing the RTX 4070 Ti vs RX 7900 XTX.
- Design-wise, the AMD RX 7900 XTX comes with a dual-die design. Meanwhile, NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX follows a monolithic design.
- Throughout the benchmarks, the Radeon RX 7900 XTX runs the games at an average of 132 FPS, whereas the NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti run at 117.5 FPS, giving Team Red an ~11.5% lead in terms of gaming performance.
- According to the benchmarks Tech4Gamers analyzed, the RTX 4070 Ti takes about 45% less power on average than the RX 7900 XTX. Since these figures were taken via software overlay, there can be a margin of error.
- Consequently, the RTX 4070 Ti also stayed about 8.8°C cooler than its AMD rival.
- According to the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, the NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti is priced at 11.7% lower than the AMD RX 7900 XT.
|Specs||Radeon RX 7900 XTX||GeForce RTX 4070 Ti|
|Architecture||RDNA 3||Ada Lovelace|
|GPU Name||Navi 31 XTX||AD104|
|Foundry||TSMC 5nm||TSMC 5nm|
|Base Clock Speed||1855 MHz||2310 MHz|
|Boost Clock Speed||2499 MHz||2610 MHz|
|Memory Capacity||24 GB GDDR6||12 GB GDDR6|
|Memory Bandwidth||960.0 GB/s||504.2 GB/s|
|Memory Bus Width||384-bit||192-bit|
|Thermal Design Power (TDP)||355 Watts||285 Watts|
|No. of transistors||57,700 million||35,800 million|
|Price||999 USD||799 USD|
|Release Date||Nov 3rd, 2022||Jan 3rd, 2023|
|Best Variants||Best RX 7900 XTX Cards||Best RTX 4070 Ti Cards|
Since both the RTX 4070 Ti vs RX 7900 XTX come from different brands, these cards have significant architectural differences.
Let’s go ahead and check them out down below.
The chip design is the first significant difference that separates NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti from AMD’s Radeon 7900 XTX. The former comes with the Ada Lovelace technology and a monolithic design. Meanwhile, the latter utilizes the dual-die design, allowing it to operate Graphic Compute Die and Memory Cache Die separately.
Also Read: RTX 4080 Vs RTX 3080
The Radeon RX 7900 XTX is equipped with a 5nm Graphic Compute Die (GCD) and a 6nm dedicated Memory Cache Die (MCD). On the other hand, the RTX 4070 Ti has its own specialized 5nm custom process nodes known as the 4N from TSMC.
The AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX offers users particular dual-issue stream processors. It allows the GPU to run up to 2x instructions at the same time. But since this technology is not present in NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti, it can only process one instruction at a time.
When it comes to output ports, the AMD Radeon 7900 XTX provides users with one of the best DisplayPort 2.1. It can easily handle a bandwidth of up to 54Gbps and can also run a 4k 480 Hz display quite easily. On the other hand, since NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti has DisplayPort 1.4a, the bandwidth automatically gets limited to 32.4Gbps.
NVIDIA DLSS 3.0 Vs AMD FSR 3.0
NVIDIA’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or in other words, DLSS, is one of its best upscaling features. It allows the GPU to utilize the Tensor Cores to create native-like image quality to boost the in-game performance statistics.
On the other hand, AMD GPUs come equipped with the FSR technology that allows it to provide similar results to the DLSS but by relying on software functionalities instead of any hardware specifications.
Additionally, both brands have also now announced new updates. NVIDIA has recently released DLSS 3.0. It is capable of utilizing the GPU to boost in-game FPS by generating and applying artificial image frames via optical flow accelerators available in the RTX 4000 series.
On the other hand, AMD is also going down a similar route by applying fluid motion frame technology in order to get similar results as its competition. But since FSR 3.0 still hasn’t been rolled out yet, there are still many things that we don’t know.
When it comes to performance and functionality, AMD’s FSR is not tied up to any hardware specification. So, it can be used on many cards, even for the older generation. Meanwhile, even though NVIDIA’s DLSS is bound to specific cards, it is capable of providing better results by using the fourth generation of Tensor Cores.
Read More: NVIDIA DLSS Vs AMD FSR
AMD Radeon RX 7000 Series
After the recent success of RX 6000 cards, AMD is in the game again, with the new flagship Radeon RX 7000 series giving NVIDIA a run for its money one more time.
The new series comes with many exciting features and has already introduced two GPUs, Radeon RX 7900 XT, and RX 7900 XTX, respectively. Although both cards come from the same brand and follow the same core structure, they are different from each other when it comes to specifications.
Since we are already on the topic of the core structure, let’s dive in and see what this series brings to the table.
Unlike the previous RX 6000 series that came with RDNA 2, AMD is powering the next line with the new RDNA 3 technology. In addition, the cards are coming equipped with a much similar chipset design to AMD’s Ryzen 3000 Processors.
This new technology allows AMD GPUs to implement a chiplet design. So that they can separate their Graphics Compute Die and Memory Cache Die to use them individually for shaders and infinity caches.
The AMD Radeon 7000 series is coming equipped with one of the best video output options currently available in the market because both the RX 7900 XT and RX 7900 XTX boast DisplayPort 2.1 support.
It allows these cards to deliver a bandwidth of up to 54Gbps plus support high-definition video feeds such as 4K, 180 Hz, and even 8K, 165 Hz. In addition, the cards are also capable of providing color depth for around 68 billion colors.
Compute Die Systems
Since the AMD 7000 series comes with a new chiplet design, it allows the card to use two different die systems at the same time.
The Graphic Compute Die (GCD) comes with a 5nm node, while the Memory Cache Die has a 6nm node. In addition, both of them are based on TSMC and enable the card to perform and achieve up to 61 TFLOPs of computing performance along with a 5.3 TB/s of chiplet interconnect speed.
Besides this, AMD has also claimed that this technology allows users to achieve a 54% improvement in their performance-to-power ratio.
Additionally, since the steam processors on these GPUs come with the new dual-issue feature, it allows the card to act on two instructions at the same time. Plus, the GPU also utilizes dedicated AI accelerators to deliver improved and 2.7 times better AI performance.
The ray tracing accelerators have also seen a lot of improvements and now provide up to 1.5 times more rays compared to before.
Since we are on the topic of functionalities, it would only be right if we mention the decoupled clocks, which have been gathering a lot of attention. In the new series, the front-end frequency has been separated from the shader frequency.
The reason behind this is that engineers at AMD have found after extensive research that the front-end frequency was leading up to the limitation in the overall performance of the cards.
So now, after the separation, the RX 7000 series is being introduced with a front-end frequency of 2.5 GHz. Meanwhile, the shader frequency is now 2.3 GHz.
This change has led to an improvement of 15% in performance along with a 25% better power efficiency as well.
The GCD on the RX 7000 series cards also contains the new dual-media engine along with a simultaneous encode/decode, and an 8K60FPS AV1 encode/decode for AVC/HEVC as well.
In addition, the engine has improved the video coding capability with an increase of 1.8 times via AI enhancement. These are some massive upgrades that are turning the heads of streamers and fans at the same time.
AMD has also announced an upgrade to the previous version of FSR 2.0. The news came out just a month before the release of their new RX 7000 series. But even though the new software was introduced in their advanced gaming event, not many details were mentioned about it.
So far, we only know that it will implement a new fluid motion frame technology and will combine it with Super Resolution Technology.
AMD is already claiming that the new update will give twice the performance. Especially when compared to the previous version while gaming at 4K gaming. But we can’t say anything for sure until the FSR 3.0 is actually released.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4000 Series
NVIDIA has been in the game for a while now and knows how to play its cards right. Since the recent RTX 3000 series was a huge success, NVIDIA is back again. This time, to gain more authority via the new RTX 4000 Series.
Also Read: RTX 4080 Vs RTX 3090
Ada Lovelace Architecture
All the new cards from the GeForce 4000 series are based on a new architecture known as the Ada Lovelace. In addition, the cards come equipped with a modified 5nm node. The new chipset is called 4N and comes from TSMC.
Moreover, due to this new architecture, NVIDIA can now use 76 billion transistors in their cards, which is 70% more than what they used in the RTX 3000 series. But besides this, NVIDIA is still using the monolithic die just like before.
The company is also claiming to have overall improvements in all of its core processors. These include Ray Tracing, Tensor Cores, and Shaders. Let’s check each of these improvements in detail down below.
NVIDIA has improved its Ray Tracing by introducing new cores that can clock up to 200 TFLOPs. In addition, these cores can also execute processes quicker, calculating ray triangle intersection in less than half the time.
The new cores achieve this feat in performance by utilizing the two new components. These include a Displayed Micro-mesh (DMM) Engine and an Opacity Micromap (OMM) Engine. Here the DMM engine helps enhance the details of objects. Meanwhile, the OMM engine helps in speeding up the render complex geometry.
After a long wait, NVIDIA has finally decided to introduce the new generation of Tensor Cores. These fourth-generation cores are capable of accelerating deep learning processes as well as applying a new FP8 Transformer Engine. Additionally, they can improve the AI inference up to 5 times over Ampere.
The number of shaders has been increased to 90 TFLOPs, which can provide twice the performance while using half the power compared to the Ampere of the older generation.
Another addition to the Streaming Multiprocessors is Shader Execution Reordering, which is capable of rescheduling GPU threads to similar tasks. It can also decouple ray intersection and shading to fix the main problem of data divergence and execution divergence to fix your poor shader execution.
NVIDIA has also released a new version of DLSS 3.0. It can now utilize the fourth generation of Tensor Cores to create new frames.
This process is executed through the new Optical Flow Accelerator. It feeds data and information from the current frames and the previous frames to the neural network. After this, the neural network will process this data to generate brand-new frames.
NVIDIA is also claiming that the DLSS 3.0 is capable of boosting your gaming performance by four times when compared to the DLSS 2.0.
RX 7900 XTX Vs RTX 4070 Ti Gaming Benchmarks
Since we have now discussed all of the aspects of both of these cards, let us now check how they keep up when it comes to actual gaming. We were able to gather this data thanks to Jansn Benchmarks.
Also Read: GeForce RTX 4090 vs RTX 3080Ti
Here are the specs of the testing bench:
- CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
- Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI Motherboard
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600
- CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 280mm.
- Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W, BN647, 80 PLUS Titanium
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Now we will put the RTX 4070 Ti against the RX 7900 XTX and compare their average FPS, 1% lows, power consumption, and thermals. All the games are tested at 2K resolution and ultra settings.
Witcher 3 Next-Gen (Ray Tracing Ultra)
- The Radeon RX 7900 XTX performs about 5.9% better by providing an average of 52 FPS compared to 49 FPS on the RTX 4070 Ti.
- In addition, the 1% lows on the RX 7900 XTX are also 40 FPS compared to 37 FPS on the RTX 4070 Ti.
- Surprisingly the RX 7900 XTX draws more power than RTX 4070 Ti, consuming 347 watts compared to 248 watts.
- Moreover, the Radeon RX 7900 XTX runs at 69°C, compared to RTX 4070 Ti performing at 59°C.
Call of Duty MW2 2022
- In terms of FPS, the RX 7900 XTX is miles ahead and provides a 43.7% FPS boost. It offers an average of 184 FPS compared to 118 FPS on the RTX 4070 Ti.
- Moreover, we can see a huge difference in 1% lows. The RX 7900 XTX offers 49 FPS, while the RTX 4070 Ti provides 34 FPS.
- Furthermore, due to a huge performance difference, the RX 7900 XTX consumes 348 watts while RTX 4070 Ti consumes 205 watts.
- In addition, the RX 7900 XTX runs slightly hotter at 64°C compared to 55°C on the RTX 4070 Ti.
Witcher 3 Next-Gen (Ray Tracing OFF)
- The Radeon RX 7900 XTX provides a promising average of 165 FPS compared to 131 FPS on RTX 4070 Ti, meaning that Team Red is ahead by about 22.9%.
- We also see a similar picture in the 1% lows where RX 7900 XTX has 112 FPS. Meanwhile, RTX 4070 Ti produces 79 FPS.
- When going over the power consumption, the RX 7900 XTX consumes 348 watts, while the RTX 4070 Ti draws 226 watts.
- Additionally, the RTX 4070 Ti runs cooler than the RX 7900 XTX and produces 58°C compared to 66°C.
Similar Comparisons: NVIDIA RTX 4080 Vs RTX 3080 Ti
Red Dead Redemption 2
- The RX 7900 XTX completely overpowers the RTX 4080 Ti with a 36% lead when playing RDR2. The GPU provides an average of 124 FPS, whereas Team Blue gives 86 FPS.
- In terms of the 1% lows, we can see that the RX 7900 XTX has 60 FPS. While RTX 4070 Ti produces 39 FPS.
- Consequently, the RX 7900 XTX draws 345.7 watts; meanwhile, the RTX 4070 Ti only utilizes 237 watts.
- Not only that, but the RX 7900 XTX generates higher temperatures as well, 62°C compared to 58°C of RTX 4070 Ti.
Far Cry 6 (Ray Tracing OFF)
- Both cards perform quite well here; the RX 7900 XTX provides an average of 147 FPS, while the RTX 4070 Ti gives ~14.5% less FPS at 127 FPS.
- In addition, the 1% lows show a different picture where RX 7900 XTX has 46 FPS, and the RTX 4070 Ti generates 54 FPS.
- Focusing on power consumption, the RX 7900 XTX draws 316.5 watts compared to the RTX 4070 Ti, which consumes 195 watts.
- Consequently, the RX 7900 XTX generates 61°C. At the same time, the RTX 4070 Ti runs at 54°C.
Also Read: Radeon RX 7900 XT vs GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
Hitman 3 (Ray Tracing ON)
- The RTX 4070 Ti is showing a surprising improvement of 10% FPS boost compared to the RX 7900 XTX. The former provides an average of 100 FPS, while the other offers 90 FPS.
- The 1% lows show quite close results here; the RX 7900 XTX produces 11 FPS compared to 12 FPS on the RTX 4070 Ti.
- To everyone’s surprise, Radeon RX 7900 XTX still draws 347.5 watts. While NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti draws 228.8 watts.
- Furthermore, the Radeon RX 7900 XTX also loses in terms of temps. It generates 63°C compared to 53°C on RTX 4070 Ti.
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- The RX 7900 XTX takes the lead in this RTX 4070 Ti vs RX 7900 XTX benchmark and offers a 13% FPS boost by generating an average of 130 FPS. Meanwhile, the RTX 4070 Ti provides 114 FPS.
- Again, a similar picture can be seen in the 1% lows category. The RX 7900 XTX offers 60 FPS compared to 61 FPS on RTX 4070 Ti.
- In terms of power consumption, the RX 7900 XTX draws 346 watts, while RTX 4070 Ti only draws 191 watts.
- Additionally. the temperatures also show a similar picture. The RX 7900 XTX goes to 63°C. While RTX 4070 Ti shows 53°C.
Horizon Zero Dawn
- Unsurprisingly, the RX 7900 XTX offers 14.2% FPS improvement by providing better average FPS counts. It offers 180 FPS compared to 156 FPS on RTX 4070 Ti.
- When it comes to 1% lows, both the RX 7900 XTX and RTX 4070 Ti are tied up and generate 51 FPS.
- Similar to performance, the RX 7900 XTX draws more power too. It draws 349.5 watts, while RTX 4070 Ti uses 197.4 watts.
- Because of the high power consumption, the RX 7900 XTX generates 62°C compared to RTX 4070 Ti at 50°C.
Doom Eternal (Ray Tracing ON)
- Once more, the RTX 4070 Ti provides more FPS than RX 7900 XTX. It offers a 7% FPS boost by providing an average of 278 FPS compared to 259 FPS.
- On the contrary to the average FPS, in 1% lows, RX 7900 XTX offers 138 FPS compared to 107 FPS on RTX 4070 Ti.
- Furthermore, even with better performance, the RTX 4070 Ti draws 266.8 watts. While RX 7900 XTX uses 348 watts.
- Additionally, due to high power consumption, the RX 7900 XTX is generating 64°C compared to the 62°C of the RTX 4070 Ti.
Forza Horizon 5 (Ray Tracing Extreme)
- Both GPUs provide quite similar results here. The RX 7900 XTX shows a 3.5% FPS production boost by showing an average of 115 FPS, while the other offers 111 FPS.
- Additionally, when it comes to 1% lows, the RX 7900 XTX produces 79 FPS, while the RTX 4070 Ti produces 55 FPS.
- Even though the performance is similar, the RX 7900 XTX draws 343.2 watts compared to 160.1 watts on RTX 4070 Ti.
- Moreover, the RX 7900 XTX also generates higher temperatures. It runs at 62°C compared to the 46°C of NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti.
Also Read: RX 7900 XTX Vs Radeon RX 6950 XT
Watch Dogs Legion (Ray Tracing Ultra)
- The RX 7900 XTX gains a slight edge over RTX 4070 Ti in this game and offers a 15% improved FPS production rate. It produces an average of 78 FPS compared to 67 FPS.
- Furthermore, the 1% lows show similar results. We can see the RX 7900 XTX producing 60 FPS and the RTX 4070 Ti generating 44 FPS.
- In addition, the RX 7900 XTX still draws more power than RTX 4070 Ti. It draws 347.9 watts compared to 226.9 watts.
- Moreover, the RX 7900 XTX also generates higher temperatures. It produces 62°C heat compared to 52°C on RTX 4070 Ti.
Cyberpunk 2077 (Ray Tracing Ultra)
- Again, surprisingly the RX 7900 XTX is falling behind with a 14.7% decrease in FPS production. It provides 63 FPS in comparison to 73 FPS on RTX 4070 Ti.
- Regarding the 1% lows, the RX 7900 XTX generates 50 FPS. Meanwhile, RTX 4070 Ti is producing 49 FPS.
- Contrary to performance, the RX 7900 XTX drains more power. It uses 347.5 watts, while RTX 4070 Ti consumes 232.8 watts.
- Similar to power consumption, the RX 7900 XTX heats up to 64°C, whereas the RTX 4070 Ti reaches an average of 57°C.
Overall Gaming PerformanceNow that we have covered the benchmarks of RTX 4070 Ti vs RX 7900 XTX across a series of multiple games. It has become easier for us to achieve a verdict and declare which card comes out on top in terms of FPS performance during the Radeon RX 7900 XTX vs GeForce RTX 4070 Ti battle.
According to the results, it is visible that the RX 7900 XTX is dominating the charts in most of the games. But there were also some games like Forza Horizon 5 and Witcher 3, where the difference became quite minimal.
Additionally, to everyone’s surprise, we also saw that the RTX 4070 Ti was leading the charts in a few games, such as Hitman 3, Doom Eternal, and Cyberpunk 2077. This shows that the card holds serious potential and proves its worth when needed.
When it comes to the average FPS performance across all games, we saw the Radeon RX 7900 XTX producing 132 FPS. Meanwhile, the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti falls behind with 117.5 FPS.
This shows that the users with Radeon RX 7900 XTX will get a boost of 11.6% in FPS compared to the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti.
Average Power ConsumptionWhen talking about power consumption, during our RX 7900 XTX vs RTX 4070 Ti test, we noticed a single pattern across all the tested games.
As we know that the Radeon RX 7900 XTX comes with a TDP of 355 watts, it comes as no surprise that the card is always leading the power consumption chart. So you can see why the card requires a recommended power supply of at least 750 watts.
On the other hand, since the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti has a TDP of 285 watts, it is showing way better results in power consumption compared to its competition. Additionally, the card only requires a power supply of 600 W to perform at its peak.
Hence, even though the Radeon RX 7900 XTX was leading in performance, the situation is quite different when it comes to thermal power design. It can be seen that the GeForce 4070 Ti has a 21% more power-efficient TDP compared to the Radeon RX 7900 XTX.
In all the games we tested, we never saw the Radeon RX 7900 XTX come even close to the power efficiency of the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti. In most games, the power consumption had a difference of more than 100 watts.
The most surprising thing was that the RX 7900 XTX was consuming more power, even in games where its average FPS count was behind the RTX 4070 Ti. These games included Hitman 3, Doom Eternal, and Cyberpunk 2077.
When it comes to the average power consumption, we saw the Radeon RX 7900 XTX coming at the top with 344.5 watts. On the other hand, the GeForce RTX 4070 Ti only consumed an average of 217.9 watts. This implies that the RTX 4070 Ti is 45% more efficient than the RX 7900 XTX when it comes to power consumption.
Also Read: RTX 4080 vs RX 6950 XT
Average Thermal StatisticsWhen it comes to heat generation, the Radeon RX 7900 XTX takes the cake without a doubt. Meanwhile, NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti has been way more efficient and generates less heat, even in games where its average FPS production is better than its competitor.
In addition, there was never a single occasion where the RX 7900 XTX was able to prove itself as the more thermal efficient card compared to NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti. Moreover, we even observed that the RX 7900 XTX never produced less than 60°C throughout the test. At the same time, the RTX 4070 Ti was even seen running at 46°C.
During the whole course of the benchmarks, the RX 7900 XTX produced an average heat of 63.5°C. On the other hand, the RTX 4070 Ti only generated an average heat of 54.7°C. This proves that the RTX 4070 Ti remained 14.8% more thermally efficient.
Pricing And Availability
After going through the whole review, it’s time to discuss another crucial factor! What are the prices of these cards, and where can you find them?
Since both of these cards come from the latest lineups from AMD and NVIDIA, it should be quite apparent that they can’t be considered budget-friendly. According to the MSRP, the Radeon RX 7900 XTX is available at a price tag of $999. On the other hand, the NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti is being offered at $799.
It should also be kept in mind that both of these cards come with many variants. So depending on that, the price might become more expensive. Some of the more expensive variants might include GPUs from ASUS, MSI, and GIGABYTE.
In addition, it should be noted that the Radeon RX 7900 XTX is almost 22.2% more expensive than NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti. Moreover, this gap may be further increased based on the variant and model.
RTX 4070 Ti Vs RX 7900 XTX: What’s The Best Choice?
It is without a doubt that both of these cards perform amazingly in their own way. So your decision to pick one of them should be based on your requirements only. However, we will help in recalling some things that should make your decision easier.
When it comes to average FPS, the Radeon RX 7900 XTX takes the lead with an 11.6% improvement. But in terms of power consumption, the RTX 4070 Ti takes the cake. It provides itself by being a major 45% more power efficient.
Regarding thermal efficiency, NVIDIA’s RTX 4070 Ti is again in the lead. The card generates 14.8% less heat than the RX 7900 XTX. In addition, it is also found that the RTX 4070 Ti is almost 40% cheaper than its competition.
Therefore, you should consider whether you want a higher FPS count or more affordability. The RX 7900 XTX offers better performance. At the same time, the RTX 4070 Ti ensures to save your money wherever possible. In any case, we hope that our RTX 4070 Ti vs RX 7900 XTX comparison is going to help you choose the right GPU for your rig.
In case you want to explore other options, you can also head to another recent RTX 4080 Vs. RX 6900 XT comparison that we recently posted on the website.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no definite answer to this question, as both cards perform amazingly in their own ways. NVIDIA and AMD have put a lot of effort into their new lineups. Therefore, it is quite visible that it’s paying off.
As of this moment, the RTX 4090 is the latest card added to the RTX 4000 lineup. The card boasts a whooping 24GB of GDDR6X memory, along with many other features. This includes functionality like the DLSS 3.0 to boost its performance.
NVIDIA uses the abbreviation Ti for Titanium; these cards are usually released after the base versions are out. Some of these include RTX 4070 Ti, RTX 3090 Ti, RTX 3080Ti, etc.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔