Leading the change in this modern epoch, Nvidia and AMD never fail to surprise as they release increasingly powerful GPUs each year, seemingly staying one step ahead of game developers as if challenging them to create something that their cards would encounter tribulations in the running. In the RTX 4070 Ti Vs RX 6950 XT comparison, I’ll will be taking a look at these two GPUs.
- In my 1080P gaming benchmarks, the RTX 4070 Ti demonstrated a noteworthy 7.7% performance advantage across the seven games.
- In terms of thermal management, my results showed that the RX 6950 XT ran 4.7% warmer across the 1080P gaming benchmarks and consumed 39% more power, too.
- On the pricing front, the cheapest RTX 4070 Ti is priced at $769, whereas the least expensive RX 6950 XT comes in at around $629. Comparing these numbers, I found that the RX 6950 XT provides more gaming performance/dollar.
Here’s how the two cards stack up in terms of specifications.
|GPU Model||RTX 4070 Ti||RX 6950 XT|
|GPU Name||AD104||Navi 21|
|Architecture||Ada||Navi 24 (107 mm²)|
|Transistors||35,800 million||26,800 million|
|L1 Cache||128KB per SM||128KB per Array|
|Memory Bus Width||192-bit||256-bit|
|Memory Bandwidth||504.2 GB/s||576.0 GB/s|
|Suggested PSU Wattage||600W||700W|
|Release Date||January 3, 2023||May 10th, 2022|
|Best Variants||Best RTX 4070 Ti Cards||–|
- Process Node: When it comes to foundations, the RTX 4070 Ti employs a cutting-edge 4nm process node, while the RX 6950 XT relies on a 7nm process node for its architecture.
- Clock Speed: Regarding clock speeds, with a Base Clock of 2310 MHz and a Boost Clock of 2610 MHz, the RTX 4070 Ti offers exceptional performance. In comparison, the RX 6950 XT maintains a Base Clock of 1860 MHz and a Boost Clock of 2310 MHz.
- VRAM: Moreover, the RTX 4070 Ti features 12GB of GDDR6X memory, whereas the RX 6950 XT boasts a larger 16GB GDDR6 VRAM capacity.
- TDP: Furthermore, the RTX 4070 Ti operates at a power draw of 285W, while the RX 6950 XT exhibits slightly higher power consumption with a TDP of 335W.
- Supported Technologies: Finally, leveraging DLSS, the RTX 4070 Ti enhances visual fidelity, while the Radeon RX 6950 XT offers similar functionality through FSR for improved image quality and performance. The RTX 4070 Ti has Nvidia’s third-gen ray tracing cores, while the RX 6950 XT has AMD’s first-gen RT accelerators.
Also Read: RX 7900 XTX Vs Radeon RX 6950 XT
Benchmark Test In 1080P
Undoubtedly, we can’t judge the performance of any card by only browsing through its specifications. That is where benchmark tests come in, and it is one of the best ways to analyze the sheer performance of any graphics card. I’ll compare the two in seven titles at 1080P resolution. The system I used to benchmark these two graphics cards is given below – but first,
- The recorded figures may vary slightly from actual figures due to shortcomings of monitoring software.
- The thermal performance of the cards varies from variant to variant. Thus, the recorded temperatures should not be considered as the generalized thermal performance of the card.
- CPU: Intel Core i9 13900K
- Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z790 – E Gaming
- CPU Cooler: Corsair ICUE H150I ELITE
- RTX 4070 Ti: Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
- RX 6950 XT: Power Color AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT 16GB
- SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
- HDD: WD Blue 4TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
- PSU: Corsair HX1500i 1500 Watt 80 Plus Platinum
- RAM: Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5 6000MHz
- OS: Windows 10 Pro
- Starting with this balanced AAA title, the RTX 4070 Ti barely manages to scrape a win, providing an average of 111 FPS over the RX 6950 XT’s 109 FPS.
- I observed a 1.8% increase in FPS in favor of the newer 4070 Ti, placing it a half-step ahead of the 6950 XT.
- In terms of GPU temperatures, I noticed that the 4070 Ti runs slightly cooler at 63°C as opposed to the RX 6950 XT’s 65°C.
- When it comes to power consumption, the 6950 XT consumes just a bit more power at 275W compared to the RTX 4070 Ti’s 261W.
Also Read: RTX 4080 Vs RX 6950 XT
God Of War
- Next, I tested God of War, where, at an average of 98 FPS, the 4070 Ti displays a noticeable gap in FPS when compared to the RX 6950 XT’s 91 FPS.
- In terms of temperatures, I noticed that the RX 6950 XT runs a bit warmer at 67°C, while the 4070 Ti reaches a temperature of 66°C.
- Regarding power consumption, the RX 6950 XT consumes much more power at 296W than the RTX 4070 Ti’s meager 245W.
Horizon Zero Dawn
- Next, I analyzed the two cards’ performance in Horizon Zero Dawn. At an average framerate of 94 FPS over the 6950 XT’s 85 FPS, the RTX 4070 Ti again emerges victorious in the struggle for frames.
- The RTX 4070 Ti runs substantially cooler at 62°C compared to the RX 6950 XT’s running temperature of 66°C.
- In terms of power consumption, I noticed that the RX 6950 hungrily consumes 260W of power, while the RTX 4070 Ti gets by while consuming just 225W.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Ti Vs RTX 3090
- Testing this GPU-intensive game showed me that the RTX 4070 Ti stamped its authority, reaching an average of 61 FPS as opposed to the RX 6950 XT’s 53 FPS.
- The RTX 4070 Ti gains a 15.1% lead in this title, providing a smooth 60 FPS gameplay that the AMD card I tested fails to achieve.
- I noticed a considerable temperature difference this time around, as the RX 6950 XT reaches a comparatively hot temperature of 72°C while the RTX 4070 Ti handles the game at a normal temperature of 66°C.
- The difference in power usage is also quite visible, as I observed that the RTX 4070 Ti maintains a comparably normal usage of 250W while the RX 6950 XT reaches up to 285W.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Ti Vs RTX 3070 Ti
- In my testing, the RTX 4070 Ti outperformed the RX 6950 XT with an average of 56 FPS, while the RX 6950 XT managed 52 FPS, outperforming by 7%
- I observed that the RX 6950 XT tended to run slightly warmer, reaching temperatures of 63°C, while the RTX 4070 Ti maintained a cooler 61°C during gameplay.
- Regarding power consumption, the RTX 4070 Ti proved to be more power-efficient, drawing 260W compared to the RX 6950 XT’s 270W.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Ti Vs RX 7900 XT
Forza Horizon 5
- In my next test, the RX 6950 XT finally took a slight lead with an average of 123 FPS, just ahead of the RTX 4070 Ti’s 122 FPS, differing by less than 1%.
- Surprisingly, both GPUs exhibited similar temperatures during gameplay, maintaining an average of 53°C.
- In terms of power efficiency, the RTX 4070 Ti once again proved to be the more efficient choice, drawing only 230W compared to the RX 6950 XT’s power-hungry 270W.
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
- In my next gaming benchmark, the RX 6950 XT outperformed the RTX 4070 Ti with an average of 102 FPS compared to 97 FPS, giving it a 5.2% advantage.
- According to my findings, temperatures showed a minimal difference, with the RX 6950 XT at 62°C and the RTX 4070 Ti at 60°C.
- Surprisingly, both GPUs consumed nearly identical amounts of power, both registering around 260W, resulting in a tie in power consumption.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Ti Vs RX 7900 XTX
Overall Gaming Performance
- After rigorously testing the two cards across seven games, I conclude that the RTX 4070 Ti performed 7.7% faster in 1080P gaming over the RX 6950 XT.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Ti Vs RTX 3080
- Analyzing the power consumption figures, I found that the Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti takes the cake, being 39% more efficient than its AMD counterpart. Both GPUs maintain relatively stable power usage and offer excellent performance-per-watt.
Price & Availability
The Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti came out with a price tag of $799, being considerably cheaper than previous generation mid-tier lineups. And, while the card hasn’t received an official price cut, the Zotac GAMING Trinity OC variant is available for $769 at the time of writing this.
The RX 6950 XT, on the other hand, launched with a price tag of $1099. Later, a major price cut saw the MSRP dropping to $599. While writing this though, availability is a problem, and the cheapest variant is available at a price tag of $629.
Comparing the lowest prices, there is a 22.2% difference, with the RX 6950 XT being the cheaper graphics card.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Ti Vs RTX 3080 Ti
RX 6950 XT Vs RTX 4070 Ti: Which One Do I Recommend?
So, there you have it. I compared the two graphics cards in a variety of aspects, including 1080P gaming performance.
- My pick of the two GPUs is undeniably the RX 6950 XT, which, while falling marginally behind in performance, is much cheaper. So, value-wise, it stands out as the victorious card.
- But hold on! This doesn’t mean that the RTX 4070 Ti is a bad card by any means. If you’re looking purely for performance and the budget is not a problem, the RTX 4070 Ti may be the more viable choice. Additionally, my tests showed that it provides better performance-per-watt, stable thermals, and it also supports the latest in ray tracing and upscaling.
In the end, the choice is all yours; nonetheless, I’m hoping my comprehensive comparison of the two cards helps you make a sound decision.
Pros And Cons
|GeForce RTX 4070 Ti||
|GeForce RX 6950 XT||
Frequently Asked Questions
A higher amount of memory doesn’t always mean better performance. The presence of Tensor cores and the memory type being GDDR6X makes the RTX 4070 Ti slightly faster than the RX 6950 XT.
Temperatures up to 100°C are considered acceptable when testing out GPUs. The highest temperature attained during the tests was 72°C, so overheating is completely out of the question.
The RTX 4070 Ti features 2nd gen ray tracing, which provides up to double the performance of traditional ray tracing. Hence it tops the other card in this aspect.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
Abdemanaf is a skilled creative writer who has been honing his craft since 2011. While initially working in different fields, he found a passion for technology and has been exploring the tech world since early 2015. Over the years, he has developed an in-depth knowledge of the latest tech trends and product offerings by various companies.
Abdemanaf’s writing reflects his analytical mindset and ability to think critically. He has a knack for breaking down complex technical information into easily digestible pieces, making his articles engaging and accessible to readers from all backgrounds. In February 2022, he joined Tech4Gamers as a blog and product comparison writer, where he has been able to hone his skills further.
As a writer, Abdemanaf is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest technological advancements and trends, enabling him to provide readers with the most relevant and accurate information. He is always eager to learn more and is constantly seeking new challenges to improve his skills.
Get In Touch: [email protected]