In a surprising move, Nvidia released a 16GB variant of their RTX 4060 Ti card on the same specifications, just bumping up the VRAM. Nvidia’s own benchmarks showed little performance difference between the two GPUs, at a $100 price difference. Let’s dive deep and see if the card is as disappointing as it sounds as I compare RTX 4060 Ti 16GB vs RTX 4060 Ti 8GB.
Also Check: RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Vs RTX 2080 Ti
- The two GPUs differ only in VRAM capacity (16GB vs 8GB) and have a 5-watt difference in TDP ratings.
- Performance-wise, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB was only 0.6% faster than the 8GB version in 1440P gaming.
- The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB proved 5.5% more thermally efficient but consumed 1.8% more power than the 8GB variant during the 1440P benchmarks.
- Regarding value, the 8GB version reigns superior as it costs about $100 less and performs about the same in 1440P gaming.
Let’s look at how the two GPUs compare in specifications.
|GPU||RTX 4060 Ti 16GB||RTX 4060 Ti 8GB|
|Architecture||Ada Lovelace||Ada Lovelace|
|Die (Die Size)||AD106 (188 mm²)||AD106 (188 mm²)|
|Processing Node||TSMC 5nm||TSMC 5nm|
|No. of Transistors||
|Transistor Density||121.8M / mm²||121.8M / mm²|
|Memory (Type)||16GB (GDDR6)||8GB (GDDR6)|
|Memory Bandwidth||288.0 GB/s||288.0 GB/s|
(Effective Memory Clock)
|Bus Width||128 bit||128 bit|
|Bus Interface||PCIe 4.0 x8||PCIe 4.0 x8|
|Base Clock||2310 MHz||2310 MHz|
|Boost Clock||2535 MHz||2815 MHz|
|No. of Shaders||4352||4352|
|No. of TMUs||136||136|
|No. of ROPs||48||48|
|No. of SMs / No. of CUs||36||36|
|No. of Tensor Cores||136||136|
|No. of Ray Tracing Cores||34||34|
|L1 Cache||128 KB per SM||128 KB per SM|
|Launch MSRP (Current MSRP)||$499
(same as launch)
(same as launch)
|Launch Date||July 18th, 2023||May 24th, 2022|
|Best Variants||–||Best RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Cards|
RTX 4060 Ti 16GB vs RTX 4060 Ti 8GB
As you can see, both GPUs share the same specifications, with the exception of the TDP and the amount of VRAM.
- VRAM: Both GPUs use GDDR6 memory chips, but one has an additional 8GB compared to the other.
- TDP: The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB is rated at 165 watts, while the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB can produce 160 watts of heat without throttling.
- Supported Technologies: Both GPUs support Nvidia’s DLSS 3 upscaling technology.
RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Vs RTX 4060 Ti 8GB: Gaming Benchmarks
Let’s look at the performance benchmarks. The two GPUs will be tested in 10 titles at 1440P. All games were tested at ultra or equivalent preset.
- The recorded figures may vary slightly from actual figures due to shortcomings of monitoring software.
- The thermal performance of the cards varies from variant to variant. Thus, the recorded temperatures should not be considered the generalized thermal performance of the card.
With that being said, here’s a look at the test bench.
- CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K
- CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
- Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming
- Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2×16) DDR5 6000MHz CL38
- Storage: 2x Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB
- Operating System: Windows 11
- Power Supply: Corsair RM850i 850W
Also Read: Best CPUs For RTX 4060 Ti 8GB
- The first title I tested is Hogwarts Legacy, in which both GPUs showed their struggle. The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 35 FPS, while the 8GB version averaged 34 FPS.
- As for the %1 lows, the same 1 FPS difference is seen at 27 FPS and 26 FPS, respectively.
- Moving on to the thermal performance, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 4°C cooler than the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB card.
- Lastly, concerning power draw, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB consumed 142.9 watts, while the 8GB variant used 140.1 watts on average.
- In Cyberpunk 2077, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB’s average is 50 FPS, whereas the 8GB version accumulated 48 FPS on average.
- Regarding the %1 lows, the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB managed 37 FPS in response to 38 FPS of the 16GB version.
- Looking at thermal performance, we see the same figures as the previous test with a 4°C difference between the two cards.
- The power consumption figures also show a slight contrast between the cards, as the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB produced 146.8 watts of heat compared to 142.3 watts of the 8GB card.
Similar Read: RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Vs RX 6750 XT
The Last of Us Part I
- Next up, we have The Last of Us Part 1, in which the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB averages 44 FPS, 2 FPS less than its 16GB brother did.
- The %1 lows show a significant contrast between the two CPUs, with a 9 FPS difference. This suggests that the 8GB variant struggled in a few frames where the VRAM requirement may have been higher.
- Concerning temperatures, RTX 4060 Ti 8GB averaged 61°C, three degrees higher than the 16 GB RTX 4060 Ti.
- As for power consumption, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB’s tally was 147.8 watts on average. In contrast, the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB averaged 145.2 watts.
Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Here, both GPUs averaged an even 60 FPS.
- The RTX 4060 Ti 8GB took a 1 FPS win over the 16GB version in terms of frame time.
- A look at the temperatures and the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 59°C while the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB averaged 61°C.
- In this test, the two GPUs only differ by 0.4 watts in average power consumption.
Resident Evil 4
- Moving on to Resident Evil 4 with ray tracing set to normal, both GPUs averaged 77 FPS.
- The two GPUs are also evenly matched with regard to %1 lows at 65 FPS.
- As for the thermal performance, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 60°C, one degree less than the 8GB card.
- The 16GB RTX 4060 Ti averaged exactly 150 watts of power draw in this test, while the 8GB version used 146.2 watts on average.
Also Check: RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Vs RX 6600
A Plague Tale: Requiem
- The next title is “A Plague Tale: Requiem,” where the 8GB card took a 2 FPS victory over the 16GB RTX 4060 Ti.
- Looking at the %1 lows, we see a similar 1 FPS difference between the two GPUs as the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB takes another win.
- The temperature figures tell the usual story, with the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB averaging one degree higher than its 16GB competitor.
- Here, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB drew 155.6 watts over 152.7 watts of the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB.
God of War
- In God of War, both GPUs are evenly matched yet again, averaging 75 FPS.
- Concerning the %1 lows, the 16GB card has a 1 FPS lead, scoring 61 FPS.
- Temperatures-wise, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 58°C in contrast to the 8GB variant’s average of 60°C.
- The power consumption figures read 147.7 watts for the 16GB version and 146.3 watts for the 8GB Nvidia card.
- My next benchmark is Hitman 3, in which both GPUs averaged 144 FPS.
- As for the %1 lows, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB scored 118 FPS in reply to 116 FPS managed by the 8GB variant.
- Moving on to the thermal performance figures, the 16GB card averaged 57°C. Conversely, the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB stood at the 60°C mark.
- The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB used 145.7 watts of power, whereas the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB consumed 144.1 watts.
Red Dead Redemption 2
- The penultimate test in this RTX 4060 Ti 16GB vs 8GB comparison is Red Dead Redemption 2, in which the 16GB variant has a 1 FPS lead.
- Regarding the %1 lows, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB scored 65 FPS, a 2 FPS lead in this case.
- In this title, the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB ran 6°C warmer on average, the biggest difference.
- The average power consumption shown by the 16GB variant was 152 watts, while that shown by the 8GB card was 149.9 watts.
Similar Comparison: RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Vs RTX 3060
Forza Horizon 5
- The last test we’ll look at is Forza Horizon 5. In this title, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 93 FPS. In comparison, the 8 GB RTX 4060 Ti averaged 92 FPS.
- As for the %1 lows, both GPUs accumulated 77 FPS.
- Coincidentally, both Nvidia cards averaged the same as in Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Finally, the power consumption figures display another win for the 8GB version, as it consumed 3.2% less power.
Overall Gaming Performance
Here’s how the two GPUs fared overall across the ten tests.
- The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 72.2 FPS, while the 8GB variant averaged 71.7 FPS. Thus, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB is just 0.6% faster than the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB in 1440P gaming.
- As for the %1 lows, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 59.1 FPS, while the 8GB 4060 Ti card averaged 57.8 FPS — making it 2.2% faster.
- The only game where the 8GB variant relatively struggled was The Last of Us Part 1, where it fell behind by 9 FPS in %1 lows, contributing heavily to that 2.2% difference.
Average Power Consumption
Next, a look at the power consumption figures across the ten games.
Reminder: The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB is rated at 165 watts, while the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB is rated at 160 watts (a 3.1% difference).
- The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB used 147.4 watts of power on average. In response, the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB averaged 144.8 watts of power consumption.
- So, the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB is about 1.8% more power-efficient than the 16GB RTX 4060 Ti.
- Both GPUs consumed less than their maximum rating, showing a contrast of less than 5 watts.
Similar Read: How Much Power Does A Gaming PC Use?
Does better power efficiency translate to better temperatures for the 8GB version? Let’s see.
- The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB averaged 58°C while the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB averaged 61.2°C across the 10 games tested at 1440P. Thus, on average, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB variant proved 5.5% more thermally efficient than the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB.
- Despite consuming less power, the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB was the warmer-running card.
Related Read: How To Lower GPU Temperatures
Prices And Electricity Costs
Let’s talk prices. Firstly, both GPUs are in active production when writing this. The RTX 4060 Ti 8GB’s MSRP is $399, and it’s readily available at that price tag. The MSI Ventus 3X OC variant is available for a touch less at $389 on Newegg and B&H.
As for the 16GB version, its MSRP is $499, and many variants can be found for that price. Currently, the cheapest card is available at this $499 price tag.
Electricity costs aren’t a major concern as the two GPUs differ by just 1.8% in power consumption.
RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Vs RTX 4060 Ti 16GB: Which GPU Has Better Value?
Having discussed the performance and prices, we can now determine which GPU provides better value. As you saw, the two cards differ by less than 1% in average FPS as far as 1440P gaming is concerned. The 16GB variant consumed 1.8% more power while running 5.5% cooler. Both these differences are also pretty insignificant.
At the same time, you can score an RTX 4060 Ti 8GB card for 28.2% cheaper than one of the 16GB cards. The price difference heavily outweighs the performance difference, so the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB is undeniably the better value card.
Similar Read: RTX 4060 Ti 8GB Vs RTX 3080
So, there you have it. Nvidia’s RTX 4060 Ti 16GB proved to be Nvidia’s failed attempt to address the growing VRAM needs on its graphics cards.
Ideally, they should have bumped up the number of render configuration units and maybe used faster memory for the 16GB variant. Instead, they added an additional 8GB of the same memory and slapped an extra $100 on the price tag, making the 16GB variant unattractive.
Perhaps, with the increasing VRAM demands of AAA titles, this 16GB of VRAM might come in handy in some future titles. So, the verdict might change in the future. Still, the additional $100 just for some extra VRAM is not justified.
|RTX 4060 Ti 16GB||
|RTX 4060 Ti 8GB||
Frequently Asked Questions
In my 1440P gaming benchmarks, the two GPUs differed by less than 1% in average FPS across 10 tests. However, the 16GB variant may prove more useful in some titles demanding more VRAM.
The RTX 4060 Ti 16GB (165 watts) is rated 5 watts higher than the 8 GB version. In my benchmarks, however, the RTX 4060 Ti 8GB was just 1.8% more power-efficient.
Considering that the two GPUs showed little to no difference in 1440P gaming performance but differ by $100 in price, the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB is certainly not a good choice compared to the 8GB card.
More From RTX 4060 Ti 8GB:
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔