The Ryzen 7 7800X3D and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D are high-end AMD CPUs rendering unparalleled gaming performance. Rumors are going around pleading that the Ryzen 7800X3D, being less expensive, outperforms the costly Ryzen 9 7950X3D. To figure out how distorted reality is, let us start with the Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Ryzen 9 7950X3D comparison.
- At 1080p resolution, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D performs roughly 1.9% better in games than the Ryzen 7 7800X3D.
- The Ryzen 7 7800X3D is 21.4% more power efficient and 7.05% more thermally efficient than the Ryzen 9 7950X3D.
- AMD launched the Ryzen 7 7800X3D with a retail price of $449 and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D with a retail price of $699.
R7 7800X3D Vs R9 7950X3D
|Feature||AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D||AMD Ryzen 7 7950X3D|
|Architecture||Zen 4||Zen 4|
|No. of Cores||8||16|
|No. of Threads||16||32|
|Base Clock||4.20 GHz||4.20 GHz|
|Boost Clock||Up to 5.0 GHz||Up to 5.7 GHz|
|AMD PRO Technologies||No||No|
|Integrated Graphics||AMD Radeon Graphics||AMD Radeon Graphics|
|iGPU Base Clock||400 MHz||400 MHz|
|iGPU Boost Clock||2200 MHz||2200 MHz|
|iGPU Execution Units||2||2|
|CPU Memory Support||DDR5 only||DDR5 only|
|Bandwidth||83.2 GB/s||83.2 GB/s|
|Max Memory Speed||2x1R DDR5-5200Hz
|TDP||120 watts||120 watts|
|Max Temperature||Up to 89°C||Up to 89°C|
|Thermal Solution||Not Included||Not Included|
|PCI Express Version||5.0||5.0|
|PCIe Lanes (Total/Usable)||28/24||28/24|
|Unlocked For Overclocking||Yes||Yes|
|Technology for CPU Cores||5nm FinFET at TSMC||5nm FinFET at TSMC|
|I/O Die (IOD) Size||122 mm²||257 mm²|
|Technology for I/O Die||6nm FinFET at TSMC||6nm FinFET at TSMC|
|Motherboard||Best Motherboards For Ryzen 7 7800X3D||Best Motherboards For Ryzen 9 7950X3D|
|RAM||Best RAM For Ryzen 7 7800X3D||Best RAM For Ryzen 9 7950X3D|
|Cooler||Best CPU Coolers For Ryzen 7 7800X3D||Best CPU Coolers For Ryzen 9 7950X3D|
Zen 4 Architecture
The Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Ryzen 9 7950X3D features the same AMD Zen 4 architecture.
The Zen 4 architecture is an advancement on the Zen 3 architecture, with AMD utilizing the new AM5 socket and TSMC‘s 5nm core manufacturing technology to boost performance further. In Zen 4, AMD has enhanced the instructions per cycle gain by 13% compared to Zen 3. This architecture also benefits from the 6nm I/O die to improve performance. Furthermore, the Zen 4 architecture has also exponentially increased the power efficiency of processors.
Also Read: Ryzen 9 7950X3D Vs Intel i9-13900K
AMD Radeon iGPU
About the built-in graphics, AMD has integrated the Radeon Graphics in the Ryzen 7 7800X3D and Ryzen 9 7950X3D.
AMD Radeon Graphics is a powerful iGPU with good handling skills for challenging activities and gaming. It is based on RDNA 2.0 architecture. This iGPU has two cores (128 Shader units). Its base clock is 400 MHz, and its graphics frequency is up to 2200 MHz. The Radeon graphics also feature AMD’s FreeSync technology, which synchronizes the monitor’s refresh rate with the graphics card’s frame rate to increase the interactive quality of the gaming experience.
If we see the maximum boost clocks of these processors, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D has a turbo frequency of up to 5.0 GHz, while the Ryzen 7 7950X3D operates at a max frequency of up to 5.7 GHz. You can also overclock these CPUs. It is worth noting that there is a difference of 0.7 GHz in the maximum boost clock of these processors. The computations imply that the Ryzen 9 7950X3D can outperform the Ryzen 7 7800X3D by 14.0% in laborious jobs.
On the other hand, the base clocks of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D and Ryzen 9 7950X3D are the same at 4.2 GHz. Thus, the two CPUs might show equal performance in primary functions.
When it comes to the socket of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Ryzen 9 7950X3D, we find the same AMD AM5 socket in these processors.
In the AM5 socket, AMD has finally abandoned the outdated Pin Grid Array (PGA) socket design they had used in the AM4. AM5 is the first Land Grid Array (LGA) socket of AMD, also known as LGA1718, because it has 1718 projecting pins to establish contact with the motherboard. The adoption of DDR5 memory and PCIe 5.0 capability with up to 24 lanes for storage and graphics are two significant upgrades made possible by AM5.
To compare the AMD AM5 socket with its predecessor, read AM5 vs AM4: Worth The Upgrade?
TDP And Maximum Temperature
AMD has backed a thermal design power (TDP) of 120 watts in the Ryzen 7 7800X3D and Ryzen 9 7950X3D. This much TDP is good enough for power-efficient processors to excel in taxing tasks. However, we will further discuss which processors consume less energy and have a lower running cost in the gaming power efficiency part.
Concerning the peak operating temperature, AMD claims that both these CPUs can work at up to 89°C. Yet, which processor handles gaming more effectively by keeping its temperature lower? We will talk about that in the gaming thermal efficiency part.
If regular tasks cause your CPU to become too hot, consult our guide on How To Lower CPU Temperature.
When we look at the memory specifications, AMD offers support for only DDR5 memory in the Ryzen 7 7800X3D and Ryzen 9 7950X3D. They have 128GB DDR5 memory with the UDIMM subtype. Their maximum memory speed is 5200 MHz, and their maximum bandwidth is 83.2 GB/s.
The lack of support for DDR4 memory makes these processors an unattractive option for customers with tight budgets due to the high cost of DDR5 than DDR4.
Read more: DDR4 Vs. DDR5 Ram: Full Comparison 
As indicated by the names of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D and Ryzen 9 7950X3D, AMD has offered the 3D-V Cache Technology in these processors. According to AMD, this innovative 3D stacking technology enables the world’s fastest gaming processors.
If we compare the cache size, the L3 cache of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D is 96MB, whereas the Ryzen 9 7950X3D has 120MB of L3 cache. The L1 and L2 caches of these CPUs for single cores are the same at 512KB and 1MB, respectively. However, due to the difference in core count, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D has 512KB L1 and 8MB L2 caches, and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D has 1MB L1 and 16MB L2 caches.
Ryzen 7 7800X3D Vs Ryzen 9 7950X3D: Gaming Benchmarks
After a comprehensive discussion on specifications, it is time to disclose the gaming performance of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Ryzen 9 7950X3D. The gaming benchmarks are the greatest way to compare the capabilities of two processors because processors are participating at their maximum output to give optimal performance.
Here we will examine their performance in 9 taxing games at 1080p resolution played at ultra settings. The system used to play these games employed the following specifications.
- OS: Windows 11
- CPU 1: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
- CPU 2: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
- Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Master AM5
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090
- RAM: Crucial DDR5 32GB 4800 MHz cl40
- SSD: Samsung 980 PRO M.2 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4.0
- CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Pure Loop 2 FX 360mm Water Cooler
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D provided 2 FPS higher performance than the Ryzen 7 7800X3D.
- The R7 7800X3D delivered an average frame rate of 235 FPS, while the R9 7950X3D delivered a 237 FPS average.
- While playing the game, the R7 7800X3D ran at a lower power of 46 watts, whereas the R9 7950X3D ran at 53 watts.
- The active temperature of the R9 7950X3D was 60°C during the game, and the R7 7800X3D had 57°C.
- Moving to the low 1% performance, the R7 7800X3D (156 FPS) supplied 1 FPS higher than the R9 7950X3D (155 FPS).
- The R9 7950X3D outperformed the R7 7800X3D by 10 frames per second or 4.9% in Cyberpunk 2077.
- During the gameplay, the average frame rate for the R7 7800X3D was 205 FPS, while for the R9 7950X3D was 215 FPS.
- The R7 7800X3D used 52 watts of electricity while playing the game, compared to 70 watts for the R9 7950X3D.
- During Cyberpunk 2077, the R9 7950X3D’s functioning temperature was 73°C, while the R7 7800X3D’s was at 65°C.
- Regarding the low 1% frame rate, the R9 7950X3D provided 31 more frames per second than the R7 7800X3D.
Forza Horizon 5
- In Forza Horizon 5, the R9 7950X3D outscored the R7 7800X3D by 4 FPS or 1.9%.
- The R7 7800X3D’s average frame rate was 210 FPS, whereas the R9 7950X3D’s was 214 FPS.
- When playing the game, the R7 7800X3D ran at 48 watts instead of the R9 7950X3D’s 57 watts power consumption.
- The R9 7950X3D’s operating temperature in Forza Horizon 5 was higher (65°C) than 60°C for the R7 7800X3D.
- About the low 1% frame rate, the R9 7950X3D offered 144 FPS, whereas the R7 7800X3D offered 140 FPS.
- During Lost Ark, the R9 7950X3D performed 27 FPS or 4.4% better than the R7 7800X3D.
- The average frame rate of the R7 7800X3D was 609 FPS, while the average of the R9 7950X3D was 636 FPS.
- While playing the game, the R7 7800X3D operated at 45 watts, and the R9 7950X3D operated at 53 watts.
- The R9 7950X3D ran at a temperature of 64°C as opposed to the R7 7800X3D’s 60°C.
- In Lost Ark, the R9 7950X3D gave 327 FPS for the low 1% frame rate, whereas the R7 7800X3D provided 326 FPS.
- In Overwatch 2, the R9 7950X3D beat the R7 7800X3D by a performance lead of 3 FPS.
- While playing the game, the R9 7950X3D turned over an average frame rate of 530 FPS, while the R7 7800X3D’s average was 527 FPS.
- The R7 7800X3D consumed 53 watts of electricity while gaming compared to 62 watts for the R9 7950X3D.
- During Overwatch 2, the operating temperature of the R9 7950X3D was 67°C, and that of the R7 7800X3D was 61°C.
- The R9 7950X3D offered 386 FPS as the low 1% frame rate, compared to the R7 7800X3D’s 349 FPS.
- During PUBG, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D prevailed in the performance competition of the R7 7800X3D vs 7950X3D by a lead of 15 FPS average or 3.1%.
- The R7 7800X3D produced 488 frames per second on average, and the R9 7950X3D produced a 503 FPS average.
- Regarding power consumption, the R7 7800X3D ran at 47 watts, whereas the R9 7950X3D ran at 56 watts.
- The R9 7950X3D (66°C) was running 5 degrees hotter than the R7 7800X3D (61°C) in PUBG.
- Compared to the R7 7800X3D’s 239 FPS, the R9 7950X3D provided a low 1% frame rate of 250 FPS.
Rainbow Six Siege
- In Rainbow Six Siege, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D surpassed the Ryzen 9 7950X3D by 1 FPS.
- The R7 7800X3D generated an average frame rate of 305 FPS, while the R9 7950X3D yielded a 304 FPS average.
- If we look at the power usage, the R9 7950X3D operated at 57 watts, whereas the R7 7800X3D performed at a much lower power of 40 watts.
- About the CPU gaming temperature, the R7 7800X3D (60°C) stayed 5 degrees cooler than the R9 7950X3D (65°C).
- The Ryzen 7 7800X3D supplied 3 more frames per second than the R9 7950X3D at the low 1% performance.
Red Dead Redemption 2
- The R7 7800X3D and the R9 7950X3D had an identical performance averaging 219 FPS in Red Dead Redemption 2.
- In this game, the power consumption of the R7 7800X3D was 48 W, while that of the R9 7950X3D was 55 W.
- During Red Dead Redemption 2, the R7 7800X3D ran at 60 degrees, and the R9 7950X3D had an active temperature of 64°C.
- Regarding the low 1% frame rate, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D (111 FPS) supplied 2 FPS more than the Ryzen 7 7800X3D (109 FPS).
- In Spider-Man Remastered, the average rendition of the R7 7800X3D was 1 FPS higher than the R9 7800X3D.
- The R7 7800X3D mustered up a brilliant average of 250 FPS, and the R9 7950X3D also performed well, averaging 249 FPS.
- During the gameplay, the R9 7800X3D worked at 46 watts, while the R9 7950X3D laboured at a bit higher power of 53 watts.
- In this game, the operating temperature of the R7 7800X3D (65°C) was one degree higher than the R9 7950X3D (64°C).
- Concerning the low 1% performance, the R9 7950X3D turned 229 FPS, whereas the R7 7800X3D could only turn 223 FPS.
Overall Gaming Stats
To conclude the overall gaming responses of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Ryzen 9 7950X3D, let us discuss the average stats obtained for the above-mentioned games at 1080p.
- At 1080p resolution, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D dominates gaming performance in the aforementioned games outperforming the Ryzen 7 7800X3D by a margin of 1.92%.
- The computations depict that the Ryzen 9 7950X3D rendered games at an average frame rate of 345.2 FPS, whilst the Ryzen 7 7800X3D attained an average frame rate of 338.7 FPS.
- When we estimate the 1% low performance, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D once again outperforms the competition.
- The Ryzen 9 7950X3D achieved 221.3 FPS, while the Ryzen 7 7800X3D delivered 211.6 FPS for a 1% low frame rate average.
- Thus, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D performs approximately 4.6% better than the Ryzen 7 7800X3D at the worst 1% game time.
- There were two games (Rainbow Six Siege and Spider-Man Remastered) in which the average frame rate provided by the Ryzen 7 7800X3D was higher than the Ryzen 9 7950X3D.
- The average performance of both processors was identical in Red Dead Redemption 2.
- However, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D could not pull away significantly to claim first place in overall performance. And the Ryzen 9 7950X3D takes first place for overall gaming performance.
Also Read: Ryzen 9 7900X3D Vs i9-13900K [Benchmarks 2023]
- It is fundamental to talk about how much power a CPU consumes whilst gaming.
- The Ryzen 7 7800X3D only consumed 47.2 watts on average while playing the aforementioned games. On the other hand, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D consumed a relatively higher amount of 57.3 watts.
- As per the estimates, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D is 21.4% more power efficient than the R9 7950X3D.
- A high-end processor like the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D with such a phenomenal power efficiency is truly a blessing. And this efficiency makes the Ryzen 7 7800X3D the best option for buyers with tense allowance.
Also Read: Gaming PC Power Usage: How Much Is Required?
- During the 1080p gaming session, the average temperature of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D was 61.0°C, whereas the Ryzen 9 7950X3D maintained an average of 65.3°C.
- Hence, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D has a 7.05% loftier thermal efficiency than the Ryzen 9 7950X3D.
Price And Availability
Consider a CPU’s cost and availability before selecting one. AMD introduced the Ryzen 7 7800X3D with a $449 suggested retail price and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D with an MSRP of $699. The retail price shows a difference of 55.5% between the Ryzen 7 7800X3D and the Ryzen 9 7950X3D.
When it comes to availability, both processors are the latest and readily available in markets. The local sellers are demanding more than the retail price for R7 7800X3D. However, you can order these processors from AMD’s official store and platforms like Amazon.
Which One Should You Go For?
After all the detailed comparison of the Ryzen 7 7800X3D vs Ryzen 9 7950X3D, the time has come to pick one CPU.
If your focus is the ultimate gaming and productivity performance, then the Ryzen 9 7950X3D should be your priority for its premium features.
But if you want to choose an economical processor with a lower running cost and fine performance, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D should come first. The Ryzen 7 7800X3D also offers greater value for money.
Pros And Cons
|AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D||
|AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D||
The Ryzen 7 7800X3D provides more performance per watt with its 21.4% higher power efficiency than the Ryzen 9 7950X3D. Regarding the overall gaming performance, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D produces 1.92% more performance than the Ryzen 7 7800X3D. However, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D also performs well. The Ryzen 7 7800X3D offers more value for money because of its greater performance-to-price ratio.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Ryzen 7 7800X3D provides more performance per watt with its 21.4% higher power efficiency than the Ryzen 9 7950X3D.
Regarding the overall gaming performance, the Ryzen 9 7950X3D produces 1.92% more performance than the Ryzen 7 7800X3D. However, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D also performs well.
The Ryzen 7 7800X3D offers more value for money because of its greater performance-to-price ratio.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔