The AMD Radeon 6700 XT and the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 were, at their release, absolute titans of their own era. From running high-end games at Ultra Presets to streaming 4K videos with ease, these beasts are used to deliver outstanding performances amongst all tests. Now, two years later, with newer GPUs and higher demanding titles, let’s see how the RX 6700 XT vs RTX 3060 can hold up in recent times.
- In terms of average FPS across all tested resolutions, the RX 6700 XT achieves an average of 96 FPS, while the RTX 3060 trails behind with an average of 77 FPS.
- Regarding power efficiency, the RTX 3060 is more efficient at both 1080p and 1440p, consuming 5.1% and 9.12% less power than the RX 6700 XT, respectively.
- The RX 6700 XT is around $60 more expensive than the RTX 3060 in new condition.
Also Read: RX 6700 XT Vs RX 6750 XT
|Name||AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT||Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060|
|Memory||12 GB GDDR6||12 GB GDDR6|
|Memory Clock||16 Gbps||15 Gbps|
|Memory Bandwidth||384 GB/s||360 GB/s|
|Transistors||17,200 million||12,000 million|
|Power Connector||1 x 12 pin||1 x 12 pin|
|Launch Year||March 18, 2021||Jan 12th, 2021|
|Best Variants||RX 6700 XT||RTX 3060|
Differences In Specifications
- VRAM: The AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT and the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 both feature 12GB of GDDR6 memory. The RX 6700 XT has a 192-bit memory interface, while the RTX 3060 features a wider 256-bit memory interface. A wider memory interface can potentially improve memory throughput and performance.
- TDP: The RX 6700 XT has a higher TDP of 230W, indicating potentially higher power consumption compared to the RTX 3060, which has a TDP of 170W. This difference in TDP may influence system power requirements and cooling solutions.
- Clock Speed: The RX 6700 XT boasts significantly higher clock speeds with a core clock of 2321MHz and a boost clock of 2581MHz. In contrast, the RTX 3060 operates at a lower core clock of 1320MHz and a boost clock of 1777MHz, potentially impacting gaming performance., though the higher number of cores promises to make up for this on the 3060.
- Fabrication Process: The RX 6700 XT is manufactured on TSMC’s 7nm process, while the RTX 3060 is fabricated on Samsung’s 8nm process. The difference in the fabrication process could have implications for power efficiency and thermal performance.
- Other Differences: The RTX 3060 boasts more CUDA cores/shading units, with 3,584, compared to the RX 6700 XT’s 2,560. This difference may impact the GPU’s ability to handle complex computational tasks and gaming workloads.
Benchmarks – 1080p
There is no better alternative for checking the performance of graphics cards than putting them through benchmarks, which is exactly what we did using our trusty test bench and playing games at the 1080p resolution.
- CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K
- RTX 3060: Gigabyte RTX 3060 Gaming OC 12GB
- RX 6700 XT: GigaByte Radeon RX 6700 XT Gaming OC 12G 1815Mhz
- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
- RAM: Patriot Viper Steel [PVS416G360C7K] 32 Gb (8*4)
- SSD: Samsung SSD 970 Evo M.2 NVMe, MZ-V7E1T0BW, 1 Tb
- Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z490 GAMING X AX (LGA1200, ATX)
- Benchtable: STREACOM BC1 Open Benchtable [ST-BC1.1S]
- Capture Card: AVerMedia GC573
Also Read: RX 6700 XT Vs RTX 3060 Ti
Red Dead Redemption 2
- Starting off the list with one of the more popular titles, the RX 6700 XT achieves an admirable average of 78 FPS as opposed to the RTX 3060’s 63 FPS. A 23.8% boost in average FPS in the direction of the RX 6700 XT was witnessed in our first test, showcasing higher performance in this GPU-intensive game.
- In the case of temperature stability, both GPUs are tied with an average temperature of 64°C.
- Fulfilling its role as the more power-efficient GPU, the RTX 3060 utilizes 170W of power as compared to the RX 6700 XT’s 175W in our run of RDR2.
Player’s Unknown Battleground (PUBG)
- Moving onto perhaps the most successful competitive game in recent years, the RX 6700 XT manages to score a neat victory in PUBG, averaging out at 188 FPS against the RX 6700 XT’s 157 FPS. This marks a 19.7% increment in average framerate the the RX 6700 XT.
- As far as temperatures are concerned, the RTX 3060 does manage to run a bit cooler at 66°C as opposed to the RX 6700 XT’s 67°C.
- Proving itself as the more power-efficient card, the RTX 3060 consumes around 171W of power, marginally lower than the RX 6700 XT’s 182W in our PUBG testing session.
Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Microsoft’s revolutionary Flight Simulator had the RX 6700 XT once again dominating the scene by attaining an average of 65 FPS as opposed to the RTX 3060’s 58 FPS. The RX 6700 XT shows a 12.1% enhancement in regards to average FPS, securing the top spot in our test of this game.
- The RX 6700 XT runs slightly warmer at 66°C while the RTX 3060 reaches temperatures up to 63°C.
- A sharp increase in power usage, from 156W to 178W, is seen in the RX 6700 XT, owing to a greater clock frequency.
- We’re witnessing a surprising turn of events as the RTX 3060 takes the lead in GTA V. The Nvidia GPU achieves an impressive average of 144 FPS, surpassing its competitor’s 124 FPS. This results in the RTX 3060 claiming a remarkable 16.1% superiority in average framerate.
- Furthermore, the RTX 3060 not only excels in performance but also runs cooler at a temperature of 61°C, outperforming the RX 6700 XT’s 64°C.
- It’s worth noting that performance is directly linked to power consumption, and in this regard, the RTX 3060 consumes more power this time around, drawing 137W compared to the RX 6700 XT’s 114W.
Also Read: Radeon RX 6700 XT Vs GeForce RTX 3080
- In our testing, the RX 6700 XT outperforms the RTX 3060, delivering 167 FPS, showcasing a remarkable 42% performance advantage against the 118 FPS average of the 3060.
- Our tests reveal that the RX 6700 XT runs at a temperature of 67°C, slightly warmer than the RTX 3060’s 62°C.
- When it comes to power consumption, we observed that the RX 6700 XT consumes 178W, noticeably higher than the RTX 3060’s 150W, a crucial consideration for power-conscious users.
- Our extensive testing in the world of Cyberpunk 2077 reveals the RX 6700 XT achieving an impressive 86 FPS, surpassing the RTX 3060’s 71 FPS by a significant 21.1% increase in average framerate.
- Temperature-wise, the RX 6700 XT exhibits a negligible rise, from the RTX 3060’s 65°C to 66°C.
- In terms of power consumption, our tests indicate that the RX 6700 XT consumes 177W, whereas the RTX 3060 draws a more conservative 170W.
Call Of Duty Warzone
- In our testing of COD Warzone, the RX 6700 XT reigns supreme with an impressive average of 171 FPS, surpassing the RTX 3060’s 129 FPS by a significant 32.6% increase in average framerate.
- The RX 6700 XT’s temperature remains at a manageable 65°C, slightly warmer than the RTX 3060’s cooler 61°C.
- Surprisingly, the RX 6700 XT consumes relatively less power at 134W compared to the RTX 3060’s 137W.
- In our Battlefield V testing, the RX 6700 XT emerges as the dominant force, boasting an impressive average of 187 FPS, leaving the RTX 3060 trailing behind at 144 FPS, a significant 30% increase in average FPS in favor of the RX 6700 XT.
- The RX 6700 XT manages its temperature at a slightly higher but still manageable 64°C, while the RTX 3060 runs at 63°C.
- Surprisingly, the RTX 3060 takes the lead in power efficiency in this segment, consuming 157W, while the RX 6700 XT performs comparatively less efficiently at 163W, a factor to consider for users concerned about power consumption.
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
- In the benchmark of Ubisoft’s highly successful series, the RX 6700 XT secures another convincing win with an average of 98 FPS, leaving the RTX 3060 far behind at just 66 FPS. This remarkable 48.5% increase in average FPS solidifies the RX 6700 XT’s dominance in the 1080p section.
- While the RX 6700 XT’s performance is impressive, it manages to maintain a relatively cool temperature of 66°C, highlighting its efficient cooling capabilities. On the other hand, the RTX 3060 also impresses with a cooler temperature of 59°C.
- When it comes to power consumption, the RTX 3060 takes the lead once more, drawing only 123W compared to the RX 6700 XT’s higher consumption of 147W.
Also Read: RX 6700 XT Vs RTX 3070
Benchmarks – 1440p
Now that the 1080p tests are out of the way, it’s time to take things up a notch. Tests on 1440p, a sweet spot for gamers, will go a long way in revealing the toughness of the two contenders’ mettle.
Red Dead Redemption 2
- In our first test at the 1440p resolution, it’s clear that the RX 6700 XT takes the lead with an average of 63 FPS, leaving the RTX 3060 trailing at 52 FPS. Our hands-on testing shows a significant 21.2% performance advantage for the RX 6700 XT.
- When it comes to temperature management, our test results indicate that the RX 6700 XT runs slightly warmer at 66°C compared to the RTX 3060’s 65°C.
- Furthermore, in our power consumption readings, the RX 6700 XT draws more power, registering at 185W, while the RTX 3060 maintains a slightly lower power consumption at 170W.
Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG)
- In our thorough evaluation, reliving the battle royale experience at higher detail settings, the RX 6700 XT impresses with an average of 129 FPS, surpassing the RTX 3060’s 103 FPS. Our hands-on testing showcases a significant 25.2% performance gain for the RX 6700 XT.
- Turning our focus to temperature management, our tests reveal that the RTX 3060 maintains a cooler 65°C, while the RX 6700 XT operates at a slightly warmer 69°C.
- When considering power consumption, our comprehensive tests show that the RTX 3060 is notably more power-efficient, drawing just 169W, while the RX 6700 XT consumes a significant 197W.
Microsoft Flight Simulator
- In our thorough evaluation of Flight Sim 2020, the performance gap between the two GPUs narrows down to just 4 frames. The RX 6700 XT averages approximately 50 FPS, while the RTX 3060 achieves a mean of 46 FPS, demonstrating an 8.7% increment in average FPS for the RX 6700 XT, continuing to maintain its lead over the RTX 3060 in this aspect.
- Our temperature measurements reveal that the RTX 3060 demonstrates superior stability, maintaining a consistent temperature of 65°C, while the RX 6700 XT operates at a slightly warmer 66°C.
- When it comes to power consumption, our findings indicate that the RX 6700 XT consumes 176W of power, while the RTX 3060 exhibits a more efficient power consumption of approximately 166W.
- In our Hitman 3 testing, the AMD powerhouse, the RX 6700 XT, impressively achieves 104 FPS, while its Nvidia competitor manages a respectable 79 FPS. This significant performance difference equates to a remarkable 31.6% increase in average framerate for the RX 6700 XT, solidifying its position as the superior option for reliable framerates.
- Surprisingly, the RX 6700 XT not only delivers better performance but also runs at a lower temperature of 63°C compared to the RTX 3060’s 65°C, highlighting its impressive thermal efficiency.
- As for power consumption, in line with its reputation as a power consumer, the RX 6700 XT consumes 180W of power, notably higher than the RTX 3060’s more conservative usage of 168W.
- Elevating the resolution to offer an immersive experience, the RX 6700 XT reclaims its top position, achieving an average of 125 FPS, while the other GPU manages 119 FPS. This 5% increase in average FPS in favor of the RX 6700 XT underscores its powerful and efficient manufacturing design.
- Temperature-wise, the RTX 3060 maintains a cooler operating temperature of 64°C, whereas the RX 6700 XT reaches temperatures around 68°C.
- In terms of power consumption, there’s a slight difference this time, with the RX 6700 XT using 168W compared to the other GPU’s 165W.
Also Read: RX 5700 XT Vs RTX 3060
- In this demanding game title, the RX 6700 XT excels, delivering an impressive 113 FPS, while the RTX 3060 manages approximately 83 FPS. This significant 36.1% increase in FPS in favor of the RX 6700 XT highlights its prowess in handling resource-intensive games.
- As the RX 6700 XT pushes its limits, it reaches an average temperature of 67°C, generating more heat compared to the RTX 3060’s cooler 64°C.
- When it comes to power consumption, the gap is substantial, with the RX 6700 XT consuming 190W of power, significantly higher than the RTX 3060’s more conservative 165W.
- Struggling to maintain a smooth sixty frames per second, the RX 6700 XT achieves an average of 57 FPS, while the RTX 3060 falls even further behind at 45 FPS. This substantial 26.7% increase in average FPS for the RX 6700 XT demonstrates its ability to handle demanding scenarios more effectively.
- In terms of temperatures, the RTX 3060 and RX 6700 XT operate closely, with the RTX 3060 maintaining a temperature of 64°C, while the RX 6700 XT reaches a slightly higher 66°C.
- However, the RX 6700 XT continues to consume more power, using up to 190W, which lags behind the RTX 3060’s lower 171W power consumption
Call Of Duty Warzone
- COD Warzone delivers an average of 134 FPS for the RX 6700 XT, while the RTX 3060 manages a comparatively lackluster 96 FPS. This substantial 40% boost in framerate clearly demonstrates the RX 6700 XT’s superior performance over the RTX 3060 in this title.
- In terms of temperatures, the RTX 3090 runs marginally cooler at 63°C, while the RX 6700 XT reaches up to 66°C.
- Notably, even in power consumption, the RTX 3060 outperforms the RX 6700 XT, using just 155W, while the RX 6700 XT consumes 169W.
Also Read: RTX 3060 Vs GTX 1660 Ti
- In this demanding title, the RX 6700 XT continues to assert its dominance, achieving an impressive 153 FPS compared to the RTX 3060’s 115 FPS. This significant 33% increase in average FPS in favor of the RX 6700 XT underscores the reasons behind its improved performance and enhanced playability.
- Regarding temperatures, the RTX 3060 proudly maintains a cooler temperature at 64°C, while the RX 6700 XT reaches a slightly higher 66°C.
- Consistent with previous findings, the RTX 3060 once again demonstrates its superior power efficiency, consuming 168W compared to the RX 6700 XT’s 174W.
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
- Concluding our 1440p tests with this Viking-themed game, the RX 6700 XT achieves a solid 76 FPS, while the RTX 3060 struggles to maintain a playable 60 frames, hovering around 53 FPS. This remarkable 43.4% performance lead firmly establishes the RX 6700 XT as the superior GPU, particularly in terms of framerate.
- Temperature-wise, the RX 6700 XT operates at a considerably higher 67°C, in contrast to the RTX 3060’s cooler 61°C.
- Turning to power consumption, the RX 6700 XT draws 159W of power, while the RTX 3060 exhibits more efficient power consumption, using just 135W.
Overall Gaming Performance
Now, let’s compare the average FPS, temperatures, and power consumption of both GPUs on different resolutions. This provides users with clarity and aids them in making the right decision regarding their purchase.
Also Check: RTX 3060 Vs 3060 Ti
- In our 1080p tests, the RX 6700 XT outperforms the RTX 3060 by an average of 24.8 FPS (132.2 FPS vs. 107.4 FPS), showcasing its superior performance.
- The RX 6700 XT proves to be 23.1% faster than the RTX 3060 in all tested games.
- Moving to 1440p, the RX 6700 XT maintains its lead by averaging 21.1 FPS more than the RTX 3060 (100.4 FPS vs. 79.3 FPS).
- At 1440p, the RX 6700 XT exhibits a 26.6% performance advantage over the RTX 3060.
- At 1080p, the RTX 3060 maintains a slightly cooler temperature of 62.8°C compared to the RX 6700 XT’s 65.1°C.
- The RTX 3060 showcases a modest 3.59% temperature efficiency advantage over the RX 6700 XT.
- Shifting to 1440p, the RX 6700 XT operates at a slightly higher temperature of 66.5°C, while the RTX 3060 maintains a cooler 64°C.
- The RTX 3060 exhibits a 3.9% temperature advantage over the RX 6700 XT at 1440p.
- At 1080p, the RTX 3060 consumes slightly less power, with an average of 153.8W, compared to the RX 6700 XT’s 161.7W.
- The RX 6700 XT demonstrates a noteworthy 5.1% power efficiency improvement over the RTX 3060, highlighting the efficiency of Nvidia’s power design.
- Transitioning to 1440p, the RX 6700 XT exhibits higher power consumption at 178.8W, while the RTX 3060 consumes approximately 163.2W on average.
- The RX 6700 XT experiences a significant 9.12% increase in power consumption compared to the RTX 3060 at 1440p, indicating that the RTX 3060 is the more power-efficient option.
Pricing And Availability
- On Newegg, you can find the RX 6700 XT new for around $319, whereas the RTX 3060 goes for around $259.
- Both graphics cards should be widely available worldwide, new and used.
RX 6700 XT Vs RTX 3060: What We Recommend?
- The RX 6700 XT is suited to people looking for a relatively cheap card packing a lot of punch.
- Despite the 6700 XT’s superior performance, the RTX 3060 has a few advantages over the RX 6700 XT, with its slightly lower power consumption and slightly better thermals, but these are expected are change from SKU to SKU.
- For anyone who can stretch their budget, the RX 6700 XT is a no-brainer, and we would only recommend the RTX if it’s all you can buy with your budget or you find a really good deal on it.
Pros And Cons
|AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT||Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060|
Though not exactly the same, the 3060 Ti is pretty close to the RX 6700 XT in terms of performance. Yes, both the RX 6700 XT and RTX 3060 will be supported by AMD’s available-for-all Fluid Motions Technology. Yes, the RTX 3060 can play some light games at the 4k resolution.
Frequently Asked Questions
Though not exactly the same, the 3060 Ti is pretty close to the RX 6700 XT in terms of performance.
Yes, both the RX 6700 XT and RTX 3060 will be supported by AMD’s available-for-all Fluid Motions Technology.
Yes, the RTX 3060 can play some light games at the 4k resolution.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
Abdemanaf is a skilled creative writer who has been honing his craft since 2011. While initially working in different fields, he found a passion for technology and has been exploring the tech world since early 2015. Over the years, he has developed an in-depth knowledge of the latest tech trends and product offerings by various companies.
Abdemanaf’s writing reflects his analytical mindset and ability to think critically. He has a knack for breaking down complex technical information into easily digestible pieces, making his articles engaging and accessible to readers from all backgrounds. In February 2022, he joined Tech4Gamers as a blog and product comparison writer, where he has been able to hone his skills further.
As a writer, Abdemanaf is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest technological advancements and trends, enabling him to provide readers with the most relevant and accurate information. He is always eager to learn more and is constantly seeking new challenges to improve his skills.
Get In Touch: [email protected]