The Ryzen 7 7700X vs Ryzen 9 7900X have a few similar specs but they have a considerable price difference. Today, we’ll compare them to see if the extra cost to get the higher-end model is backed up by improvements in performance.
- Based on our gaming analysis, we noticed that the difference between these two processors was 1.1%, favoring the Ryzen 9 7900X.
- On average, we found that the Ryzen 7900X consumed about 13% more power than the Ryzen 7700X in the gaming benchmarks.
- We also observed that the Ryzen 7700X remained about 3.5% cooler than the Ryzen 9 7900X.
- The higher clock speeds, greater core count, and larger cache allow the Ryzen 7900X to be a much more powerful processor for multithreaded workloads.
|Processor||AMD Ryzen 9 7900X||AMD Ryzen 7 7700X|
|Architecture||Zen 4||Zen 4|
|Graphics Model||AMD Radeon Graphics||AMD Radeon Graphics|
|Launch Date||27 Sep 2022||27 Sep 2022|
|Motherboard Compatibility||Motherboards For Ryzen 9 7900X||Motherboards For Ryzen 7 7700X|
|Cooler Compatibility||CPU Coolers For Ryzen 9 7900X||CPU Coolers For Ryzen 7 7700X|
- Manufacturing Process: Both CPUs have the same Zen4 architecture and both benefit from using TSMC’s 5nm manufacturing nodes
- Core/Thread Counts: The Ryzen 9 7900X consists of a higher core and thread count, having 12 cores and 24 threads over the Ryzen 7700X’s 8 cores and 16 threads.
- Clock Speeds: The Ryzen 9 7900X arrives with a base frequency of 4.7GHz that can be boosted to up to 5.6 whereas the Ryzen 9 7700X operates at a base clock of 4.5GHz. Both the CPUs can be ramped up to 5.6Ghz which would highly benefit in overclocking.
- Cache: Both the processors share the same amount of L1 and L2 cache count, with the count being 64 KB (per core) and 1MB (per core) respectively. However, the Ryzen 7900X has a higher L3 cache of 64MB (shared) while its rival has 32MB (shared).
- Memory Support: Both of these CPUs support DDR5 memory but in a very unconventional way, with 5200 MHz of DDR5 being the maximum. The Ryzen 7000 CPUs do not support DDR4 memory, bringing your platform cost up even further.
- TDP: In terms of the TDP, the Ryzen 7900X has a higher power rating (170W) than its rival (105W). You can expect the former to consume as much as 65 Watts more than the latter.
Ryzen 7700X Vs Ryzen 7900X: Gaming Benchmarks
In this section, we will compare the gaming prowess of the Ryzen 7 7700X and the Ryzen 9 7900X. We aimed to perform these tests under a controlled environment so you get accurate results. All of these games were tested at 1080p with their respective Ultra presets.
- OS – Windows 10 pro
- CPU – RYZEN 7 7700X
- CPU – RYZEN 9 7900X
- MOBO – MSI MEG X670E ACE
- COOLER – CORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE
- GPU – Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4090 24GB
- RAM – Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 6000MHz
- SSD – Samsung 980 PRO 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
- HDD – WD Blue 4TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
- PSU – CORSAIR RMX SERIES RM1000X 1000 WATT
Horizon Zero Dawn
- In the first game, we observed that the Ryzen 7 7700X obtained an average of about 192 FPS, whereas the Ryzen 9 7900X had an average of about 196 FPS, giving us a 2.06% difference in FPS.
- In terms of the 1% lows, the Ryzen 7700X showed us about 158 FPS while the Ryzen 7900X dominated by having about 173 FPS.
- On Hitman 3, we found that the Ryzen 7 7700X obtained an average of around 204 FPS in Hitman 3, whereas the 7900X achieved an average of about 207 FPS, having an edge of 1.45% over its rival.
- We noticed that the 1% lows were also higher on the Ryzen 9’s side, with 184 FPS compared to the Ryzen 7’s 184 FPS.
God Of War
- In God of War, we saw that the 7700X faired better than the Ryzen 7900X, with an average framerate of 214 FPS vs 212 FPS, giving us only a 0.93% increase in FPS.
- We also noticed that this game’s 1% low framerates were better for the 7700X, once again, 170 FPS compared to 168 FPS on the 7900X.
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
- In Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, we saw that both the processors gave the same average; 214 FPS.
- This time, the 7900X obtained a 1% low framerate of 158 FPS, whereas the 7700X had a slightly lower framerate of 156 FPS.
Far Cry 6
- In Far Cry 6, both the Ryzen 7 7770X and the Ryzen 9 7900X showed us an average frame rate of 165 FPS.
- In this game, the Ryzen 7 7700X showed us 131 FPS as its 1% low framerate, whereas the Ryzen 9 7900X pulled ahead with 152 FPS.
- Cyberpunk 2077 performed slightly better on the 7900X, where we saw an average framerate of 144 FPS compared to the 140 FPS of the Ryzen 7700X, showing us a 2.81% increase in FPS.
- For 1% lows, we observed that the 7900X also came ahead with 120 FPS, while the 7700X had 123 FPS.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
I’m a passionate computer hardware expert specializing in CPUs and GPUs. With a lifelong curiosity for hardware and extensive hands-on experience, I provide valuable insights, practical advice, and in-depth analysis on these components. Engaging with the hardware community, I exchange knowledge and stay at the forefront of technological advancements.
Get In Touch: [email protected]