In the RTX 4060 vs RX 5700 XT comparison, we will test the performance of both GPUs in gaming benchmarks and also let you know about their overall specs and architectural differences.
- The RTX 4060 had about 8.3% better performance than the RX 5700 XT our the gaming tests.
- The RTX 4060 has a 110-watt lower TDP than the RX 5700 XT.
- A used RX 5700 XT usually goes for half the price of the RTX 4060, making it a great entry-level card.
5700 XT Vs RTX 4060
|Technical Specs||AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT||Nvidia RTX 4060|
|GPU||Navi 10 XT||AD107|
|Architecture||RDNA 1.0||Ada Lovelace|
|Memory Speed||448.0 GB/s||272.0 GB/s|
- Process Size: The RX 5700 XT utilizes a 7nm process size, while the RTX 4060 utilizes a more advanced 5nm process size. The smaller processing nodes on the RTX 4060 allow it to pack more hardware than the RX 5700 XT into a smaller package while being more powerful and efficient.
- Clock Speeds: The RX 5700 XT has a base clock of 1605MHz and a boost clock of 1905MHz. In contrast, the RTX 4060 boasts a higher base clock of 1830MHz and a higher boost clock of 2460MHz. The much higher clock speeds on the RTX card are due to its much newer architecture.
- VRAM: The RX 5700 XT and the Nvidia RTX 4060 feature 8GB of GDDR6 VRAM. This may mean that both cards will be close to obsolescence in the coming years, as some games do not run well on 8GB cards, even at 1080p.
- Bus Width: The RX 5700 XT has a wider 256-bit memory bus width, allowing for faster data transfer between the GPU and VRAM. In contrast, the RTX 4060 has a narrower 128-bit bus width. The use of such a narrow bus on a performance card caps its performance below its true potential.
- TDP: The AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT has a TDP of 225W, while the RTX 4060 has a significantly lower TDP of 115W. The 110W difference in power requirements between these GPUs can very realistically warrant a better power supply for the RX 5700 XT, which might add to the cost of your upgrade.
- Other Features: The RTX 4060 offers ray tracing and AI upscaling, while the RX 5700 XT supports AMD’s FSR for AI upscaling but lacks frame generation and ray tracing capabilities found in the RTX 40 series.
RTX 4060 Vs RX 5700 XT: Gaming Benchmarks
Having gone through the features and specifications both these graphics cards offer, this part of the RTX 4060 Vs RX 5700 XT comparison will focus on the performance of both graphics cards in modern games. All these games were tested at the resolution of 1440p on a test bench, the specifications of which we have listed below:
- CPU – RYZEN 9 5900X
- RAM – 2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz G.Skill
- SSD – Samsung 980 Pro
Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- In the first game of our benchmark tests, the RX 5700 XT surprisingly outperformed the RTX 4060. It had an average framerate of 59 FPS, while the RTX 4060 managed to get a lower average of 55 FPS.
- 1% lows were even more drastically different. The RTX 4060 managed to get lows of 47 FPS, whereas the RX 5700 XT had lows of about 54 FPS.
- Temperatures were surprisingly better on the RX 5700 XT as well, with the card maintaining a temperature of 66°C, whereas the RTX 4060 ran hotter with a peak temperature of 70°C.
Also Read: RX 5700 XT Vs RTX 2070 Super
- Cyberpunk started showing us the trend we were expecting to see when we considered comparing these two graphics cards. The RX 5700 XT had a lower average framerate of 59 FPS compared to the RTX 4060’s higher average of 68 FPS.
- 1% lows followed the trend put up by the average framerates. The RX 5700 XT had 1% lows of 50 FPS, whereas the RTX 4060 had 1% lows close to 57 FPS.
- The RX 5700 XT ran hotter in this test than the RTX 4060. It had a temperature of 64°C, compared to 62°C on the 4060.
Also Read: A750 Vs RTX 4060
Watch Dogs Legion
- The performance difference we saw in the previous game continued into our test of Watch Dogs Legion. The RTX 4060 had an average framerate of 78 FPS, whereas the RX 5700 XT averaged a framerate of about 60 FPS.
- 1% lows were no different. The RX 5700 XT had a slightly stuttery 44 FPS as its 1% lows, whereas the RTX 4060 maintained a smooth 60 FPS.
- The temperatures were also worse on the AMD card. The RX 5700 XT had a peak temperature of 69°C, whereas the RTX 4060 remained relatively cool with a temperature of 64°C.
Also, Check: RTX 4060 Vs RTX 3070 Ti
Red Dead Redemption 2
- Red Dead Redemption was also, unsurprisingly, more smooth on the recent graphics card. The RX 5700 XT had an average framerate of about 62 FPS, whereas the RTX 4060 had a noticeably higher average framerate of 75 FPS.
- 1% lows were also smoother on the Nvidia card, with the 4060 maintaining a smooth 62 FPS minimum in RDR2. In contrast, the RX 5700 XT once again dipped below the 60 FPS mark by having 1% lows of 44 FPS.
- Temperatures continued to be warmer on the RX 5700 XT. It peaked at 65°C, whereas the RTX 4060 was slightly cooler at 63°C.
Also Read: RX 5700 XT Vs RTX 3060 Ti
- Doom Eternal surprisingly had a similar performance to the RTX 4060, even beating the newer card by a tiny margin. The RTX 4060 had an average framerate of 154 FPS, whereas the RX 5700 XT had a marginally higher framerate of 157 FPS. Such a small difference in games is practically unnoticeable.
- The 1% lows were also slightly better on the RX 5700 XT. It had lows of about 120 FPS, whereas the RTX 4060 was unnoticeably slower, with lows of about 118 FPS.
- The RTX 4060 also ran hotter in this game, having a peak temperature of 65°C compared to the 63°C on the RX 5700 XT.
Also Read: RX 5700 XT Vs RTX 3060
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
- In the last game of our testing, the RTX 4060 outperformed the RX 5700 XT. The 4060 had an average framerate of 82 FPS in AC Odyssey, whereas the 5700 XT had 66 FPS on average.
- In this game, 1% lows were horrible on the Radeon card, maintaining a meager 29 FPS compared to the 50 FPS on the RTX 4060.
- Temperatures were again higher on the 4060, with a peak of 66°C, while the RX 5700 XT was relatively cool at 62°C.
Also Read: RX 5700 XT Vs RTX 3080
Overall Gaming Performance
Let’s discuss the overall gaming performance of our RTX 4060 vs 5700 XT comparison.
- For the age and tier of the 5700 XT, we were very surprised with its raw performance. It more or less keeps up with the RTX 4060, a much more recent card, only falling behind by about 8%.
- The RTX 4060 had an average framerate of 85 FPS in the games we tested in this comparison, whereas the RX 5700 XT had an average framerate of 78 FPS.
- 1% lows were about 60 FPS on the RX 5700 XT, whereas the RTX 4060 had 1% lows of almost exactly 70 FPS on average.
- These tests excluded ray-tracing, and AI upscaling, but the RTX 4060 is generally regarded to excel. In contrast, the RX 5700XT has no native support for them, aside from the availability of open-source FSR software.
Also Read: RTX 4060 Vs RX 6800
For optimal graphics card performance, we recommend referring to our guide on the best GPU overclocking software.
- Both cards showed adequate cooling, matching each other in terms of their average peak temperature over the 7 games tested at 1440p.
- The RTX 4060 had an average temperature of 64.7°C in the games we tested at 1440p.
- The RX 5700 XT was extremely close in this metric to the 4060, having a temperature of 64.4°C.
To ensure your GPU lasts longer, it’s important to keep an eye on its temperatures. To find out what idle temperatures are safe on your GPU, take a look at our detailed guide on the matter.
Price And Availability
The RTX 4060 has an MSRP of $299, whereas the RX 5700 XT has a launch MSRP of $399, but you can find this graphics card for a heavily discounted price if you find one.
As for availability, the RTX 4060 should be easy to find at any tech retailer of your choice, whereas the RX 5700 XT would be rare at any big tech store as they would have taken it off of their shelves for newer models like the RX 6700 XT and its successor in the RX 7000 series of GPUs.
Also Read: RTX 4060 Vs GTX 1060
Which GPU Is Right For You?
- If you decide on buying new, a few cards offer a better package on a budget than the RTX 4060.
- Features like DLSS and ray tracing give the RTX 4060 an edge over the RX 5700XT in everyday enjoyability.
- RX 5700 XT can be a good option for those on a budget seeking a straightforward graphics card or if a great deal is found on the market.
Pros And Cons
|RTX 4060||RX 5700 XT|
|As a more recent graphics card, the RTX 4060 can anticipate receiving driver updates longer than the RX 5700 XT. This grants it an edge in terms of extended support and compatibility.||It is not a generational improvement, at least in raw horsepower.||The price-to-performance ratio is excellent.||Though the performance of this card is great considering its age, it cannot compete with the power of the RTX 4060, especially when frame generation is enabled.|
|The power consumption is about 110 watts lower than the RX 5700 XT, saving you money on power.||
The VRAM of this card is low for a modern card, and it might not give you a comfortable gaming experience in a few short years.
|This card offers no features that a consumer might pay the price for but never use.||This card has a significantly higher power target than the RTX 4060, which might prompt you to spend additional money on a power supply.|
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the excellent performance of this card makes it a great entry-level card for this day and age.
No, these graphics cards have only one variant for each, both with 8GB of VRAM.
AMD will likely support the RX 5700 XT through to the end of this decade if their track record is anything to go by.
More From RTX 4060
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔