Sometimes, your Xbox controller may not connect to the console despite continuous flashing, making you wonder, “Why is my Xbox One controller flashing and not connecting?” It could be due to various reasons, and you can fix it by restarting the controller, disabling nearby wireless devices, and more.
- The Xbox One controller might have problems connecting due to faulty batteries, outdated firmware, incompatible USB cable, and more.
- Resume the connectivity by replacing the batteries, disabling nearby wireless devices, and connecting the controller via a USB cable.
- You might have to replace the controller if none of the fixes work and the controller fails to function on another console.
Why Is My Xbox One Controller Flashing And Not Connecting?
Some possible causes for this problem could be:
- Drained or faulty batteries.
- Outdated controller firmware.
- Interference from other wireless devices.
- Faulty Xbox controller.
How To Fix Xbox One Controller Flashing And Not Connecting?
Let’s try out the most obvious troubleshooting techniques first before we move on to other fixes:
- Check the batteries.
- Restart the Xbox One controller.
- Charge your controller.
- Power cycle the Xbox.
Clean The Battery Slot
Accumulated dirt or rust may have damaged the battery slot on your Xbox controller. Therefore, try cleaning it gently with a cotton swab or a soft cloth. Re-insert the batteries and check the functioning. Here is a full guide on cleaning an Xbox controller.Important: Make sure to be careful during the cleaning process, as you don’t want to damage anything by rushing the process.
Resync The Controller To The Console
We tried resyncing the controller to Xbox One when it wouldn’t connect despite the flashing. Doing so refreshed the connection to remove any temporary glitches.
Follow this method to resync the controller:
- Put your Xbox controller into “Sync Mode” by holding the “Pair” button between the “L1” and “R1” buttons on the controller. Wait for the lights to blink rapidly.
Important: The controller has two modes: Sync Mode and Bind Mode. In Sync Mode, the lights flash much faster than the Bind Mode.
- Press the “Sync” button on the Xbox One console to put it in syncing mode.
Important: It is located near the disc slot for Original Xbox One and on the side for Xbox One X and Xbox One S.
- Wait for the lights on the controller to stop flashing and become white and stable.
- The controller should work on the console now.
Disconnect Controller From Other Devices
Eliminate the connection between your Xbox One controller and other devices, such as a PC. Remove the controller from paired devices if it is connected via Bluetooth. Then, try to re-establish the connection with the Xbox console.
Unpair Other Controllers From The Console
An Xbox can connect up to eight controllers/wireless devices at a time. Therefore, disconnect the idle controllers if the number of connected devices has exceeded the maximum.
Additionally, you can disconnect all other devices from the Xbox One and pair the problematic controller to see if the flashing stops.
Turn Off Nearby Wireless Devices
Signals from nearby wireless devices may also hinder the controller’s connectivity on Xbox One. Thus, we turned off all the devices near the console with the wireless connectivity feature enabled and then tried pairing the controller.
Also Read: Xbox One Controller Buttons Not Working
Update The Controller
We always advise our readers to keep their devices up-to-date with recent updates for a hassle-free performance. Hence, check if your Xbox One controller has any pending firmware updates and install them at your earliest.
Here are the quick steps to update the controller:
- Launch your Xbox “Settings.”
- Select “Devices And Connections,” then go to “Accessories.”
- Press the “Configure” option under the connected controller.
- Choose the “Update Now” option.
- Confirm your choice.
- The updates should begin. Let them finish.
Update Your Xbox Console
Similar to the previous fix, an outdated software version on the Xbox console can also affect its connectivity with the controller and other devices. Therefore, update the Xbox console to resolve such troubles.Important: Keeping the console and controller updated is extremely important as it keeps them running smoothly.
Also Read: How To Change NAT Type In Xbox One?
Use A USB Cable
You can use a compatible USB cable if the controller fails to connect via Bluetooth. Attach the controller to the micro-USB end of the cable and the USB-C to the console.
Reset The Controller
Another way to resolve the problem of the Xbox One controller flashing and not connecting to the console is to reset it. This will change all the settings to default and undo any incorrect controller configuration causing the error.
Test The Controller On Another Console
Verify if the trouble persists within the controller by connecting it to a friend’s Xbox or a PC. In case the flashing does not stop, you may have a faulty controller. It might also be the case if the controller has incurred any physical damages. Take it to a technician or replace it if possible.
Reset Xbox Console
If you discover that it is not a controller issue and it functions correctly on another console, we might say that the problem lies in the particular Xbox One console. Try resetting the Xbox and then pairing the two devices.
Refer To Xbox Support
For added advice, you can also connect with the Xbox Support team and explain the error you are facing. They might have some fixes based on your particular issue.
Also Read: How To Fix Xbox Series S Won’t Turn On Issue
Frequently Asked Questions
It may be because of controller issues, hindrances from nearby wireless devices, and outdated controller firmware.
Restart the Xbox One controller, power cycle the console, resync it to the Xbox, and update its firmware to solve the trouble.
You can connect the controller with a compatible USB cable if the wireless connectivity is not working.
- How To Fix Xbox Series X Not Reading Disc
- All Methods: How To Unblock People On Xbox?
- How To Clear Cache On Xbox?
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔