Many Windows 11 users have reported an issue with their keyboard where their spacebar isn’t working. Although uncommon, this issue is still quite annoying to the users. Therefore, it’s better to learn its fixes to keep the issue from persisting too long.
- Spacebar not working on Windows 11 is often caused by underlying hardware issues, software bugs, driver incompatibility, Windows update incompatibility, or corrupted system files.
- The fixes for the spacebar not working issue are performing a troubleshooting scan, Updating or uninstalling the keyboard drivers, Updating the Windows, deleting the last Windows update, running an SFC scan on Command Prompt, and so on.
- You need to back up your data on another external drive/storage device before resetting your PC to fix the spacebar not working issue.
Why Is My Spacebar Not Working On Windows 11?Spacebar not working is an issue some users encounter. The reasons behind this one specific key not working can be numerous. I have conducted thorough research on this issue to conclude the following as the most common reasons why the spacebar key might not work on Windows 11.
- Underlying hardware issue.
- There are obstructions like dust and debris preventing the spacebar from being pressed.
- The settings have been set to enable the sticky key feature.
- There is an incompatibility issue with the driver update.
- There is an incompatibility issue with the latest Windows update.
- There are unnoticed corrupt system files.
How To Fix Spacebar Not Working On Windows 11?
While the issue is quite frustrating, you can try to fix it at home in multiple ways. The fixes that the team at Tech4Gamers have collected are rather effective and will hopefully fix your issue. Firstly, I’ll provide you with the quick fixes that you can try to eliminate the spacebar not working issue.
- Powercycle your PC.
- Check whether your keyboard is damaged.
- Clean your keyboard and get dust and debris wiped off.
- Enable the on-screen keyboard by pressing ‘Windows logo key + Ctrl + O.’
- Connect another keyboard via a USB cable to determine whether there’s a hardware issue.
Moving on, if the quick fixes didn’t work for you, you can head towards the following detailed fixing guides.
- Boot PC via safe mode.
- Try a keyboard troubleshooting scan.
- Download/delete the latest Windows update.
- Uninstall/Update the keyboard drivers.
- Stop using the sticky keys feature on Windows 11.
- Use the command prompt to run an SFC scan.
- Verify that Text Input Management is on the run.
- Reset your PC.
Boot PC Via Safe Mode
Booting your PC via safe mode will determine whether the issue lies with the drivers you installed on your PC. Booting Windows 11 in safe mode will eliminate the issue.
Here’s how you can boot your PC via safe mode:
- Continuously press the F8 key immediately after powering on your PC, leading you to the ‘Advanced Boot Options’ window.
- Select the ‘Enable Safe Mode With Networking’ option from the menu.
- Patiently wait until your PC successfully boots into Safe Mode with Networking.
- Once you’ve successfully passed the restart screen, it will indicate that an incorrect driver installation caused the problem.
Try A Keyboard Troubleshooting Scan
A keyboard troubleshooting scan will look for any software-related issues that might be causing your keyboard spacebar not to work and will get rid of them. Therefore, going for this scan before proceeding to further fixes is a good idea.
Here’s how you can do a keyboard troubleshooting scan:
- Open the Windows 11 ‘Settings’ app.
- Click on the ‘Systems’ tab on the left panel.
- Navigate to ‘Troubleshoot’ and click on it.
- Select the tab that says ‘Other Troubleshooters.’
- Select the ‘Run‘ tab present on the right side of the Keyboard tab.
- You’ll be asked to follow some on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting scan.
Download/Delete The Latest Window Update
Windows updates are known to carry bugs that often get in the way of the smooth operation of your PC. Similarly, if you have recently updated your Windows 11, there might be a chance of bug interference that might cause your spacebar not to function. There are two ways you can eliminate this issue.
Firstly, you can update your Windows 11 if an update is available, as updates come with bug fixes. However, if you don’t see any update available in the settings, you may have to undo the last update you did. This means you’ll have to uninstall the last update of Windows 11.
Here’s how you can uninstall the Windows 11 update:
- Head to Windows 11 Settings.
- Navigate to ‘Windows Update.’
- Access the ‘Update History’ tab.
- Locate and select the ‘Uninstall Update’ option.
- Choose ‘Uninstall’ next to the most recent Windows 11 update.
Update/Uninstall The Keyboard Drivers
If you have a hint of drivers being the reason behind the spacebar not working, then you can do two things. Firstly, you can try updating the drivers. Updating drivers can often help fix the issue if your previous drivers were outdated. If you already have the latest drivers, you can try uninstalling them. Remember that you will have to install them again as well.
Here’s how you can Uninstall the keyboard drivers:
- Head to the ‘Device Manager’ app.
- Navigate the cursor to your keyboard and right-click on it.
- Select ‘Uninstall device’ from the drop-down list.
- This will uninstall the keyboard drivers from your PC. However, you will have to reinstall them to be able to use your keyboard.
Here’s how you can reinstall your keyboard drivers in Windows 11:
- Head to the ‘Device Manager’ app.
- Click on the ‘Action’ tab on the top.
- Select ‘Scan for hardware changes‘ from the drop-down list.
- This will cause your keyboard drivers to be reinstalled on your PC.
Stop Using The Sticky Keys Feature On Windows 11
Despite sticky keys being of great help to Windows 11 users. It is common for users to face the spacebar not working issue when enabled. Therefore, we advise you to disable them to see whether the issue persists.
Here’s how you can disable the sticky keys on Windows 11:
- Open the Windows 11 ‘Settings’ app.
- Head to the ‘Accessibility’ tab.
- Navigate to ‘Keyboard’ in the interactions section and click on it.
- Undo the enabled option of the sticky keys.
Use The Command Prompt To Run An SFC Scan
An SFC scan is a scan that will look through your Windows 11 PC, find corrupted files, and get rid of them. Such corrupted files are often the reason behind interference in the operation of a PC. In this case, the spacebar of the keyboard.
Here’s how you can run an SFC scan on your Windows 11 PC via Command Prompt:
- Initiate ‘Command Prompt’ on your computer.
- Enter the following command:
- Once the scan is complete, restart your PC to resolve the issue completely.
Verify That Text Input Management Is On The Run
This is another feature on your Windows 11 PC that ensures the key input appears on the screen when you press it on the keyboard. Hence, if this feature is turned off, you might witness the spacebar not working.
Here’s how you can make sure that Text Input Management is running:
- Open the Windows ‘Services’ app.
- Navigate the ‘Services (local)’ section and look for ‘Text Input Management Service.’
- Right-click on its tab and select ‘Properties’ from the drop-down list.
- Ensure its service status is running.
- If the service status states that it is not running, click on the ‘Start’ tab right underneath it.
Reset Your PC
The last resort to fix this issue can be to reset your PC. However, PC reset tends to wipe all your data and saved settings. It will still wipe away any underlying issues that might be causing your PC keyboard spacebar to work.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many reasons why a spacebar might not work on Windows 11. A few of them are hardware issues, software bugs, driver incompatibility, and corrupted system files.
you will be able to use your PC. You can try the on-screen keyboard if you need to use the spacebar urgently.
Definitely! Dust and debris often get in between the keyboard keys. Therefore, when you press these keys, they cannot function properly. This may cause the keys not to work.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔