The RX 7800 XT vs RX 6950 XT matchup promises to be an interesting comparison in the constantly changing world of GPUs. In order to help you choose the more effective GPU in the modern day, this article will go over all the key specifications of both GPUs by AMD and put them to the comparative test using various benchmarks.
- The RX 6950 XT operated with 11% more frames per second than the RX 7800 XT.
- The RX 7800 XT gave off 11% less heat than the RX 6950 XT.
- The RX 6950 XT is 2% more power-efficient than the RX 7800 XT.
- While the launch price of the RX 7800 XT is $499, the RX 6950 XT is currently being sold at $630.
|Specs||RX 7800 XT||RX 6950 XT|
|Architecture||RDNA 3.0||RDNA 2.0|
|GPU Name||Navi 32||Navi 21|
|Memory Bus Width||256-bit||256 bit|
|Memory Bandwidth||620.8 GB/s||576.0 GB/s|
|Release Date||Aug 25th, 2023||May 10th, 2022|
|Best CPU||Best CPU For RX 7800 XT||–|
|Best Variants||Best RX 7800 XT Graphics Cards||–|
- Process Size: Starting with the first difference, the RX 7800 XT comes with TSMC’s 5nm process size, but the RX 6950 XT proves to be better with TSMC’s 7nm process size.
- Clock Speed: As for frequency, the RX 7800 XT has a base clock of 1800 MHz, which can be boosted up to 2430 MHz, whereas the RX 6950 XT has a 1860 MHz base clock and a potential boost clock of 2310 MHz.
- VRAM: Both GPUs consist of 16GB VRAM of GDDR6 memory type, ensuring that you get an immersive gaming environment and carry out faster operations overall.
- Bus Width: The bus Width of both GPUs is 256-bit bus. This ensures that both the RX 7800 XT and the RX 6950 XT provide a much smoother game and connectivity experience.
- TDP: While the TDP of the RX 7800 XT is 263W, the RX 6950 XT has a comparatively much higher TDP that is 335W. This equates to a difference of almost 100W more power consumed by the RX 6950 XT.
- Other Features: Both the GPUs support Ray tracing and multi-display technology but lack DLSS support.
RX 7800 XT Vs RX 6950 XT: Benchmark At 1440p
Let’s move on to the benchmarks section now, where we will test the RX 7800 XT and the RX 6950 XT on various games at 1440p and see which GPU handles the graphics better.
Disclaimer: It is important to note that the values obtained might be influenced by a handful of external factors. These factors may include the effects of external temperature, airflow variation, and recording software fluctuations. Therefore, it is recommended to take the results as estimations.
A Plague Tale: Requiem
- In the first game, I noticed that the RX 6950 XT averaged 114 FPS, whereas the RX 7800 XT had an average of only 88 FPS. Hence, the RX 6950 XT got the better of its opponent by a margin of 25%.
- At 1% lows, the RX 7800 XT scored 80 FPS, but the RX 6950 XT succeeded again with 103 FPS, being about 25% better in this regard.
Resident Evil 4
- Moving on to Resident Evil 4, the RX 6950 XT showed me its power over its rival by outperforming its competitor with an average of 149 FPS in contrast to the RX 7800 XT 128 FPS, with the difference being 16%.
- The RX 6950 XT managed to attain an average of 136 FPS at 1% lows, whereas the RX 7800 XT climbed up to 119 FPS. Therefore, the RX 6950 XT is almost 14% more effective.
- The Cyberpunk 2077 is up next, where I saw that the RX 6950 XT just passed the RX 7800 XT with 100 FPS on average as compared to the RX 7800 XT 95 FPS, making the RX 6950 XT victorious by 5%.
- While the RX 7800 XT averaged 85 FPS at 1% lows, I witnessed the RX 6950 XT touch the 89 FPS mark, making its presence worth it again by a margin of 5% this time.
- In Hogwarts Legacy, the large difference was visible to me. The RX 6950 XT performed with an average of 101 FPS, contrary to the RX 7800 XT, which scored 88 FPS; hence, the RX 6950 XT excelled over its opponent by 15%.
- At 1% lows, the RX 6950 XT managed to set 73 FPS on average, while the RX 7800 XT showed me an average of 66 FPS; the RX 6950 XT depicted 12% more frames than its competitor.
The Last Of Us Part 1
- At a very low difference of only 2% in The Last Of Us Part 1, the RX 6950 XT showed me its performance by gaining 83 FPS on average, as the RX 7800 XT displayed an average of 81 FPS.
- At 1% lows, the RX 7800 XT exhibited 70 FPS, but the RX 6950 XT just surpassed it with 72 FPS on average, being just over 2% better.
Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered
- At last, we have Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, where I can conclude these benchmarks. The RX 6950 XT finishes off with a win by a margin of 5% as the RX 6950 XT operated at an average of 159 FPS and the RX 7800 XT functioned at 155 FPS.
- Whereas at 1% lows, the difference went down to 3% as the RX 6950 XT presented 149 FPS as compared to the RX 7800 XT 144 FPS.
Overall Gaming Analysis
From the aforementioned games, we will now examine the average frame rate, temperature, and power consumption to determine whether one performs better than the other.
Average frame rates are the most important factor to take into account before selecting a GPU because players value smooth gameplay the most while playing heavy games.
- It can be seen from the games tested above that the RX 7800 XT executed at an average frame rate of 105.8 FPS. Whereas the RX 6950 XT succeeded in maintaining an average of 117.7 FPS.
- Consequently, the RX 6950 XT has emerged victorious by displaying 10.7% more frames than the RX 7800 XT.
To maintain the long life and durability of the system, temperature is a crucial component for a GPU. One demands improved functionality with reduced heat output.
- On average, the RX 7800 XT emitted 68°C of heat at its peak. As for the RX 6950 XT, it radiated heat at a maximum temperature of 77°C.
- So finally, the RX 7800 XT got a plus point in the shape of 13% less heat emission than the RX 6950 XT.
Playing demanding games consumes a lot of power. Thus, choosing a graphics card that does not require a lot of power to function correctly is crucial.
- The RX 7800 XT consumed 389W on average. On the other hand, the RX 6950 XT devoured an average of 382.5W.
- Hence, the RX 6950 XT proved to be almost 2% more power-efficient than the RX 7800 XT.
- Speaking of power consumption at idle, the RX 7800 XT consumes slightly less power than the RX 6950 XT by only squeezing 103W of power as opposed to 93W reached by the RX 6950 XT.
Pricing And Availability
Since the RX 7800 XT is a recent release, the RX 7800 XT arrives with a reasonable price tag of $499, and it is available in plenty across shopping sites.
As for the RX 6950 XT, the price for the card ranges from $630 to $830, depending on the quality and customization of the card, but it is available in a limited quantity.
RX 6950 XT Vs RX 7800 XT: Which One Do I Recommend?
Let me quickly give you an overview of both the cards. In terms of performance, the RX 7800 XT outperforms the RX 6950 XT in architecture, boost clock, transistors, and memory bandwidth, whereas in areas like TMUs, cores, base clock, and process size, the scenario is quite the opposite.
As for performance, the RX 6950 XT clearly has the upper hand on the RX 7800 XT, when it comes to the average FPS. 1% lows. Although it does induce more heat than its rival.
Coming to power consumption, the RX 6950 XT is slightly more power efficient than the RX 7800 XT, but all these features come with the RX 6950 XT at a relatively higher cost than the RX 7800 XT.
Overall, the RX 6950 XT, despite being an older card, has better graphics, is more power-efficient, has powerful specs, and decent support of technologies, which is why I recommend you get this card.
On the other hand, the RX 7800 XT isn’t that bad at all, in fact, it has appreciable specs, performance and doesn’t give off much heat, and is comparatively much cheaper than the RX 6950 XT.
If performance specifically is what you’re seeking, then I suggest you should definitely go for the RX 6950 XT, but if you are tight on budget and still demand a card with decent functionality, then the RX 7800 XT is what you should go for.
Pros And Cons
|RX 7800 XT||
|RX 6950 XT||
Frequently Asked Questions
The RX 7800 XT is offering the same technologies as the RX 6950 XT at a lower price, so the RX 7800 XT should be a viable option.
One pro to the RX 7800 XT is that RDNA 3 is way faster in productivity and AI loads like stable diffusion. There’s a chance FSR 3 could utilize them. But it’s not worth a hassle since you already have a RX 6950 XT.
The RX 6950 XT is a top-tier card; it is basically almost equivalent to Nvidia’s RTX 3090. For the price, I would snag the RX 6950 XT, and with FSR 3.0, you are almost tripling your FPS, so there is really no need to get the RX 7800 XT unless you have a higher budget.
More From RX 7800 XT
More From RX 6950 XT
- RTX 4070 Ti Vs RX 6950 XT
- RX 7900 GRE Vs RX 6950 XT
- RTX 4090 Vs RX 6950 XT
- RX 7900 XTX Vs RX 6950 XT
- RX 6950 XT Vs RX 6800 XT
- RTX 4080 Vs RX 6950 XT
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
Abdemanaf is a skilled creative writer who has been honing his craft since 2011. While initially working in different fields, he found a passion for technology and has been exploring the tech world since early 2015. Over the years, he has developed an in-depth knowledge of the latest tech trends and product offerings by various companies.
Abdemanaf’s writing reflects his analytical mindset and ability to think critically. He has a knack for breaking down complex technical information into easily digestible pieces, making his articles engaging and accessible to readers from all backgrounds. In February 2022, he joined Tech4Gamers as a blog and product comparison writer, where he has been able to hone his skills further.
As a writer, Abdemanaf is dedicated to staying up-to-date with the latest technological advancements and trends, enabling him to provide readers with the most relevant and accurate information. He is always eager to learn more and is constantly seeking new challenges to improve his skills.
Get In Touch: [email protected]