Two of 2023’s latest offerings are the RX 7800 XT Vs RX 7900 GRE. Despite being launched in the same year, both of these cards belong to different families. Their differences are very widespread, which I’ll be gradually discussing throughout this comparison.
- In my experience, the RX 7900 GRE firmly captures the lead and showed me an astounding 3.6% increase in average frame rates compared to the RX 7800 XT.
- The RX 7900 GRE stands out to me as a model of energy efficiency, outperforming the RX 7800 XT by an astonishing 5.5% when at rest and an impressive 3.1% while under load.
- I’ve noticed that the RX 7800 XT operates exceptionally well at keeping its cool under load, with maximum temperatures averaging nearly 9.7% lower and GPU hotspot temperatures that are roughly 13.3% lower than those disclosed by the RX 7900 GRE.
|Specs||RX 7900 GRE||RX 7800 XT|
|Architecture||RDNA 3.0||RDNA 3.0|
|GPU Name||NAVI 31||NAVI 32|
|Memory Bandwidth||576.0 GB/s||620.8 GB/s|
|Release Date||July 27th, 2023||Aug 25th, 2023|
|Best CPU||–||Best RX 7800 XT|
- Process Size: The RX 7900 GRE and RX 7800 XT employ the innovative 5nm manufacturing process size which is designed to push the limits of performance.
- Clock Speed: With a powerful base clock of 1500 MHz and an accelerated boost clock that soars to an astounding 2245 MHz, the RX 7900 GRE steals the show and sets a high-performance bar. The RX 7800 XT, on the other hand, debuts with a base frequency of 1295 MHz which can ramp up to an effective boost clock of 2124 MHz, providing a flexible range of frequency to support your gaming goals.
- VRAM: The huge 16GB GDDR6 memory capacity of the RX 7900 GRE and RX 7800 XT significantly boosts gaming performance and guarantees a fluid and realistic gaming experience.
- Bus Width: The RX 7900 GRE and RX 7800 XT boast a 256-bit memory bus width, enhancing the gaming experience to new levels of rapid connectivity excitement and dazzling graphics.
- TDP: Both the GPUs have similar TDP ratings, where the RX 7800 XT has a TDP of 263W, while the RX 7900 GRE has a 260W TDP rating.
RX 7800 XT Vs RX 7900 GRE: Benchmarks At 1440p
Let’s go into the details now that our requirements have been set. I’ll provide you with the key data that you need, in order for you to determine which GPU performs better on 1440p.
A Plague Tale: Requiem
- In A Plague Tale: Requiem, I saw an essential variation in average FPS. With a fantastic average FPS of 90 FPS over RX 7800 XT’s slightly constrained performance, which only reached 86 FPS.
- A 1% low FPS of 88 FPS is continually maintained by the RX 7900 GRE. Whereas, the RX 7800 XT lagged slightly behind, showcasing 83 FPS.
Resident Evil 4
- After my careful examination, I’ve noticed that the performance difference is glaringly obvious. With an outstanding average FPS of 130, the RX 7900 GRE takes first place in this contest. Whereas, the RX 7800 XT performs a little underwhelming, averaging 126 FPS.
- I noticed that the RX 7900 GRE has impressive consistency, holding a 1% low of 124 FPS while the RX 7800 XT displayed 122 FPS.
- According to my detailed examination, I observed only the slightest difference in the average FPS where the RX 7900 GRE obtained 93 FPS over RX 7800 XT’s 93 FPS.
- As for the 1% lows, the RX 7900 GRE excels, displaying 1% low of 88 FPS. In contrast, the RX 7800 XT has a slightly less stable performance profile, with a 1% low of 87 FPS.
- when I explored the world of Hogwarts Legacy, I saw a startling discrepancy in the average FPS. I saw that the RX 7900 GRE much outperforms the RX 7800 XT, with an astounding average FPS of 91 as opposed to the RX 7800 XT’s more restrained 86 FPS.
- The RX 7800 XT has shown me outstanding durability regarding 1% low by displaying 69 FPS. The RX 7900 GRE, on the other hand, exhibits a little less consistent performance profile, hitting a 1% low of 67 FPS.
The Last Of Us Part 1
- On The Last of Us Part 1, I noticed a clear difference in average FPS between them where the RX 7800 XT took the lead with a superb average FPS of 79, overshadowing the RX 7900 GRE’s less impressive performance at 77 FPS.
- The RX 7800 XT also stands out when I evaluate its performance in terms of 1% low of as it obtained 73 FPS. The RX 7900 GRE, in comparison, has a slightly lower level of consistency, with a 1% low of 72 FPS.
Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered
- I saw a considerable difference in average FPS where the RX 7900 GRE outperformed the RX 7800 XT’s average FPS of 153 with an astonishing 164 FPS, establishing its superiority, with a difference of almost 10 FPS.
- Regarding 1% lows, the RX 7900 GRE showed me its excellence in this area, by obtaining 156 FPS. In contrast, the RX 7800 XT registers a 147 FPS, implying a less reliable experience.
Overall Gaming Analysis
- The RX 7900 GRE triumphs in this competitive environment, taking the crown with an excellent average of 107.5 FPS, representing a significant 3.6% increase over the RX 7800 XT’s average of 103.6 FPS.
Average Thermal Statistics
- The RX 7800 XT can handle a maximum temperature of 68°C without losing its cool, while the RX 7900 GRE reaches slightly higher temperatures of 75°C.
- While the RX 7900 GRE runs slightly hotter by reaching a maximum GPU hotspot temperature of 88°C, the RX 7800 XT keeps a cooler maximum GPU hotspot temperature of 77°C, proving its greater thermal efficiency.
- Under load, the RX 7900 GRE consumes 377W energy at its peak, whereas the RX 7800 XT’s highest power consumption was recorded at 389W.
- The RX 7800 XT stands out for its impressive power efficiency, coming in at a meager 93W when tested at idle. The RX 7900 GRE exhibits even better efficiency with an 88W power draw when not in use, highlighting its relatively higher power effectiveness.
Pricing And Availability
- With a price of $649, the RX 7900 GRE offers a wide range of prices to suit a variety of financial opinions. However, it serves as a rare commodity due to its extremely low availability.
- In contrast, with a price range of $510-$550, the RX 7800 XT acts as a relatively cheaper option, striking the ideal balance between affordability and performance.
- Although this card was recently launched, it is more available than the RX 7900 GRE.
RX 7800 XT Vs RX 7900 GRE: Which One Do I Recommend
- Here, I’ll point give you a card that is worth having among the two GPUs. You saw that the performance of the RX 7800 XT is extremely close to the RX 7900 GRE. As a reminder, the price difference is also very slim.
- However, due to the RX 7900 GRE’s extremely low availability, I advise you to get the RX 7800 XT.
- RX 7800 XT’s cheap launch pricing, better thermal efficiency, and lesser difference in FPS make it valuable to those looking for high-end gaming experiences on a tight budget.
Pros And Cons
|RX 7900 GRE||
|RX 7800 XT||
Frequently Asked Questions
Both GPUs are DirectX 12 Ultimate compliant, guaranteeing compatibility with current and prospective games. Although compatibility concerns are uncommon, verifying the prerequisites for each game before buying is usually a good idea.
Depending on your priorities, maybe. The higher power drain of the RX 7900 GRE can be justified if you prioritize pure gaming performance. The RX 7800 XT, however, would be a better option if you’re worried about power efficiency and have a restricted power source.
Both GPUs can run games at 4K resolution on high settings. However, the RX 7900 GRE could perform a little bit better in this case.
Regular driver updates that might improve performance in different games are applied to both AMD GPUs. For the best gaming experience, it’s essential to keep your GPU drivers updated.
More From RX 7800 XT
More From RX 7900 GRE
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
I’m a passionate computer hardware expert specializing in CPUs and GPUs. With a lifelong curiosity for hardware and extensive hands-on experience, I provide valuable insights, practical advice, and in-depth analysis on these components. Engaging with the hardware community, I exchange knowledge and stay at the forefront of technological advancements.
Get In Touch: [email protected]