Nvidia’s new mid-range RTX 4070 has entered the market, giving solid competition to AMD and the previous generation Ampere cards. Today, we’ll compare the RTX 4070 vs RTX 3070 Ti to see how the two evenly priced cards, one generation apart, stack against each other.
Also Read: RTX 3070 Ti Vs RTX 4070 Ti
- The RTX 4070 uses a 5nm TSMC node, while the RTX 3070 Ti uses a less efficient 8nm node from Samsung.
- In terms of 1440P gaming performance, the RTX 4070 turned out to be 8.9% faster than the RTX 3070 Ti.
- The RTX 4070 is 45.4% more power-efficient than the RTX 3070 Ti but ran 6.1% warmer than the Ampere card across the 1440P gaming tests.
- As for the costs, the RTX 4070 maybe $50 to $100 cheaper depending on the particular 3070 Ti model we compare it to. The RTX 4070 is also more efficient considering electricity costs.
|GPU||RTX 4070||RTX 3070 Ti|
|Die (Die Size)||AD104 (295 mm²)||GA104 (392 mm²)|
|Processing Node||TSMC 5nm||Samsung 8nm|
|No. of Transistors||35,800 million||17,400 million|
|Transistor Density||121.4M / mm²||44.4M / mm²|
|Memory (Type)||12GB (GDDR6X)||8GB (GDDR6X)|
|Memory Bandwidth||504.2 GB/s||608.3 GB/s|
(Effective Memory Clock)
|Bus Interface||PCIe Gen 4 x16||PCIe Gen 4 x16|
|Base Clock||1920 MHz||1575 MHz|
|Boost Clock||2475 MHz||1770 MHz|
|No. of Shaders||5888||6144|
|No. of TMUs||184||192|
|No. of SMs||46||48|
|No. of Tensor Cores||184||192|
|No. of RT Cores||46||48|
|L1 Cache||128 KB per SM||128 KB per SM|
|TDP||200 watts||290 watts|
|Launch MSRP (Current MSRP)||$599||$599|
|Launch Date||April 13th, 2023||Jun 10th, 2021|
|Best Variants||–||Best RTX 3070 Ti Cards|
RTX 3070 Ti VS RTX 4070 Comparison Table
So even though the two cards share the same (launch) MSRP, we can see many differences between them. Let’s discuss some of the major ones.
Processing Node And Transistor Density
Regarding the processing node, the RTX 4070 uses a superior, customized 5nm node from TSMC called 4N. In comparison, the RTX 3070 Ti uses an 8nm node from Samsung.
The efficiency of this 5nm TSMC node is represented in the die transistor density. The RTX 4070 blows the RTX 3070 Ti with 121.4 million transistors per mm² die area. On the other hand, the GA104 chip used by the 3070 Ti has a density of 44.4M/mm² area.
Furthermore, the greater transistor density means that the RTX 4070 packs in 35.8 billion transistors despite having a smaller die. Its previous gen competitor has 17.4 billion transistors.
First and foremost, the RTX 4070 has 12 GB of GDDR6X memory compared to 8 GB of the RTX 3070 Ti. But, despite having the same memory type, the RTX 4070 has slower bandwidth, at 504.2 GB/s, compared to 608.3 GB/s of the RTX 3070 Ti.
As for the memory clock speeds, the RTX 4070 clocks in at 1313 MHz, while the RTX 3070 Ti has a speed of 1188 MHz. Additionally, the RTX 4070 also has a faster effective memory clock speed at 21 Gbps, and the RTX 3070 Ti has an effective speed of 19 Gbps.
Finally, the RTX 3070 Ti has a 256-bit wide memory bus compared to the RTX 4070 with 192-bit.
Base Clocks And Boost Clocks
Nvidia’s RTX 4070 also boasts much faster base and boost clock speeds. It has a base clock of 1920 MHz, while the RTX 3070 Ti has a frequency of 1575 MHz. In terms of boost clocks, the GeForce RTX 4070 can be pushed to 2475 MHz, and the RTX 3070 Ti can manage 1770 MHz.
The RTX 3070 Ti betters the RTX 4070 in terms of the numerous rendering cores/units present. It has 6144 shading units, 192 texture mapping units, 48 stream multiprocessors, 192 Tensor cores, and 48 Ray-Tracing cores. Conversely, the RTX 4070 has 5888 shading units, 184 TMUs, 46 SMs, 184 Tensor Cores, and 46 RT cores.
Although the RTX 3070 Ti has more render units, the RTX 4070 has more efficient units under the Ada Lovelace architecture. Nvidia claimed that the shaders of the Ada Lovelace architecture are over twice as fast in computing performance. The RT Cores are two times faster in ray-triangle intersections. Also, the improved Tensor Cores are 5 times faster in AI inference.
Looking at the L2 cache, the RTX 4070 gets a major upgrade over its predecessor (and the RTX 3070 Ti) with 36 MB of L2 cache. The RTX 3070 Ti pales in comparison with only 4 MB of this cache.
Thermal Design Power
The RTX 4070 is a much more efficient card as far as TDP is concerned. It’s rated at 200 watts compared to the 290 watts of the RTX 3070 Ti.
The RTX 4070 receives support for Nvidia’s latest iteration of their upscaling technology: DLSS 3. Powered by their 4th generation Tensor cores, DLSS 3 uses a hardware component called “Optical Flow Accelerator“. These OFAs are capable of generating new frames. The RTX 3070 Ti is limited to DLSS 2 and its updates, which simply create new pixels instead.
Nvidia claimed that DLSS 3 can perform up to 2 times better than DLSS 2, giving the RTX 4070 an edge here. (Read more about DLSS 3)
RTX 4070 Vs RTX 3070 Ti: Gaming Performance
Next, let’s compare the gaming performance of the two graphics cards. We’ll compare their performance in 10 titles at 1440P resolution at ultra or equivalent preset. But before that, a quick reminder: the presented figures may differ slightly from actual performance due to shortcomings of monitoring software. With that out of the way, here is a look at the test bench:
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
- Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO Gaming
- CPU Cooler: Mars Gaming ML-ONE360 Liquid Cooling Kit
- Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3600 MHz CL16
- Storage: Samsung 870 Evo SATA SSD
- Power Supply: Gigabyte P850GM 850 watts
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Starting with Microsoft Flight Simulator, the RTX 4070 takes the lead with 43 FPS on average. In comparison, the RTX 3070 Ti scores 39 FPS.
- In terms of %1 lows, the RTX 4070 comes out with 31 FPS, taking a 40.9% lead over the RTX 3070 Ti.
- The temperature figures give a win to the RTX 3070 Ti as it hovers around the 60°C mark.
- Nvidia’s RTX 3070 Ti is a massive power hog compared to the RTX 4070. Here, it draws 213.6 watts on average, while the RTX 4070 draws around 151.6 watts.
Similar Comparison: RTX 3070 Ti Vs RX 6800 XT
Dying Light 2
- Testing Dying Light 2 with ray tracing on, the RTX 4070 averages a health 79 FPS. Its rival 3070 Ti records 62 FPS.
- The RTX 4070 also has a significant 30.7% lead as far as the %1 lows are concerned.
- As for the temperatures, the RTX 4070 hits the 70°C mark. The RTX 3070 is much cooler again, averaging 63°C during the test.
- The RTX 3070 Ti draws a huge 284 watts on average, 44.6% more than the RTX 4070.
Far Cry 6
- The RTX 4070 has a very marginal lead in this test, averaging 84 FPS.
- The %1 lows tell a different story, as the RTX 3070 Ti scores 28.8% higher than the RTX 4070.
- When it comes to thermal performance, the two GPUs are only 1°C apart in this test.
- Regarding power consumption, the RTX 4070 is much more power-efficient again, drawing 152.8 watts on average.
Back 4 Blood
- Moving on to Back 4 Blood, the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti proves to be much better in terms of average FPS, with a 19.6% lead over the RTX 3070.
- Things take a turn in terms of frame times as the RTX 4070 scores 82 FPS. The RTX 3070 Ti falls behind with 68 FPS.
- Both GPUs are evenly matched, roaming the 64°C mark.
- The Nvidia RTX 4070 draws around 166.4 watts of power, while the RTX 3070 Ti averages 272.1 watts.
- In Battlefield 2042, the RTX 4070 continues its lead, averaging 99 FPS. The RTX 3070 Ti is trailing by 20.7% here.
- Nvidia’s RTX 3070 Ti is trailing the RTX 4070 again regarding %1 lows, scoring 52 FPS in reply to 67 FPS.
- Looking at the temperatures, the RTX 3070 Ti is the superior GPU again. It runs 13.5% cooler in exact.
- A comparatively smaller difference in power consumption, but still significant as the RTX 3070 Ti draws 24.4% more power.
God Of War
- The RTX 3070 Ti scores 97 FPS on average, making it 9.2% slower than the RTX 4070 in this title.
- Both GPUs score 76 FPS as far as the %1 lows are concerned.
- The RTX 4070 runs around 69°C during this test. In contrast, the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti draws less at 65°C.
- Looking at the power draw, the RTX 3070 Ti poses a concern again, drawing 291.6 watts on average. The RTX 4070 is much more efficient, consuming 197.1 watts.
- With ray-tracing enabled in Minecraft, the two RTX GPUs continue to show contrasting figures. The RTX 4070 averages 136 FPS, while the RTX 3070 Ti averages 102 FPS.
- In terms of %1 lows, the Nvidia RTX 4070 manages 122 FPS, keeping a comfortable 31.1% lead over the RTX 3070 Ti.
- The RTX 3070 Ti continues to impress in thermal performance, running around 62°C in this test.
- The RTX 4070 draws 194.5 watts of power on average, while the RTX 3070 Ti draws around 252.2 watts.
Also Check: RTX 3070 Ti vs RTX 3060 Ti
Total War: Warhammer III
- In this title, the GeForce RTX 4070 manages 103 FPS on average. On the other hand, the RTX 3070 Ti scores 82 FPS.
- The RTX 4070 maintains its lead – staying 16.9% ahead in terms of %1 lows.
- Moving on to thermal performance, the RTX 4070 runs at around 65°C, while the RTX 3070 Ti averages only 60°C.
- The RTX 4070 uses 195.8 watts of power on average, making it 47.4% more power-efficient in this benchmark.
Grand Theft Auto 5
- The RTX 3070 Ti reverses things in its favor in Grand Theft Auto 5, taking a 15.9% lead in average FPS.
- As for the %1 lows, the RTX 4070 falls below the 60 FPS mark, while RTX 3070 Ti just touches 60 FPS.
- Next, coming to the thermal performance: the RTX 4070 hovers around 65°C – 4.8% hotter than the RTX 3070 Ti.
- The RTX 3070 Ti draws 267.6 watts of power on average, making it 53.4% more power-consuming in GTA 5.
Age Of Empire IV
- In the final benchmark, the RTX 4070 retakes the lead as it averages 172 FPS. The GeForce RTX 3070 Ti trails by 16.2% with 148 FPS.
- The RTX 4070 is only marginally ahead as far as the %1 lows are concerned, scoring 71 FPS in reply to 67 FPS.
- The thermal statistics also show a marginal difference between the two Nvidia cards. The RTX 4070 averages 68°C while the RTX 3070 Ti hovers around the 66°C mark.
- Finally, the RTX 3070 Ti closes in on the 300-watt mark, consuming 297.7 watts of power on average. The RTX 4070 averages 196.9 watts in response.
Overall Gaming Performance
Let’s look at the overall gaming performance of our RTX 4070 vs RTX 3070 Ti gaming benchmarks. For this purpose, we’ve taken a mean of the average FPS and %1 lows across the 10 games.
- The RTX 4070 averaged 104.9 FPS across the 10 games. In comparison, the RTX 3070 Ti scored 96.3 FPS.
- Hence, the Nvidia RTX 4070 is 8.9% faster than the RTX 3070 Ti in 1440P gaming.
- As for the %1 lows, the RTX 4070 scores 69.8 FPS, while the RTX 3070 Ti scores 62 FPS – a 12.5% difference.
Similar Read: RTX 3070 Ti Vs RTX 2080 Ti
Next, a look at the average power consumption across the 10 games. Note that the RTX 4070 has a TDP rating of 180.4 watts, while the RTX 3070 Ti is rated at 290 watts (45% higher).
- The RTX 4070 consumed 180.4 watts of power, on average, across the 10 tests. On the other hand, the RTX 3070 Ti consumed 262.4 watts of power.
- This means that the RTX 4070 is 45.4% more power-efficient than the RTX 3070 Ti in 1440P gaming.
- So, in 1440P gaming, both GPUs remain under their TDP rating. Although, the RTX 3070 Ti did cross the 290 watts mark in 2 of the benchmarks.
- Amazingly, the difference in power consumption in the 1440P benchmarks is nearly the same as the difference in their TDP ratings (~45%).
The Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti consumed much more power than the RTX 4070 in the gaming benchmarks – but does that translate to worse thermal performance? Let’s see.
- So, regarding average temperature, the RTX 4070 averaged 65.9°C across the 10 games at 1440P resolution. Its rival RTX 3070 Ti averaged 62.1°C.
- Thus, despite being more power-hungry, the RTX 3070 Ti proved to be 6.1% more thermally efficient than the RTX 4070 in 1440P gaming.
You may want to read about How To Lower GPU temperature?
Availability, Costs, And Price/Performance Value
Unlike some of the RTX 3000 series cards, the RTX 3070 Ti has not seen a price cut as of yet. In fact, it can hardly be found for its launch MSRP. As of 18th April 2023, only the Gigabyte Gaming OC variant is available close to its MSRP at $639. Other variants are in the high $600 range or even crossing the $700 mark. On the other hand, the RTX 4070 can be readily found at its original launch MSRP of $599.
Furthermore, the RTX 4070 has a 45% higher TDP rating and also consumed 45.4% more power in the 1440P gaming benchmarks. Thus, the RTX 3070 Ti will also be more expensive to run in terms of electricity costs. You may also need a slightly beefier power supply to accommodate the Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti.
The RTX 4070 provides much superior price-to-performance value as you can save approximately $50-$100 considering the GPU price and the cost of a higher wattage PSU. At the same time, the RTX 3070 Ti was nearly 9% faster in 1440P gaming, undoubtedly making the better value GPU here.
It’s time to conclude our RTX 4070 vs RTX 3070 Ti comparison. Nvidia’s two RTX cards are solid contenders for 1440P gaming. The RTX 4070 came out on top regarding the overall value, but the RTX 3070 Ti did take a win if we talk thermal performance. In any case, both cards will serve you well for all your gaming and productivity, and we hope our comparison has helped you make a sound decision.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Ti vs RTX 3080
Pros And Cons
|RTX 3070 Ti||
Frequently Asked Questions
The RTX 4070 is nearly 9% faster than the RTX 3070 Ti in 1440P gaming. It’s also cheaper and more power-efficient.
No. DLSS 3 support is limited to the Lovelace RTX 4000 cards as they have improved Tensor cores to support this technology.
The Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti has 8 GB of GDDR6X memory.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔