The RTX 20 series of cards brought innovation to Nvidia’s GPUs by bringing smart solutions to hard problems. These solutions took their baby steps in the first generation of RTX cards. The second generation, the RTX 30 series, cemented that Nvidia’s strategy pushed gaming performance beyond its limits. In the RTX 2070 vs RTX 3080 comparison, I will compare the two to highlight how much of a difference refinements to a good idea can make.
- The RTX 3080 is about 86% more performant than the RTX 2070 in terms of average FPS.
- The 1% lows on the RTX 3080 is 88% higher as well. This allows for fewer stutters while playing demanding games on the 3080.
- The RTX 2070 has a better performance per dollar than the RTX 3080.
RTX 2070 Vs RTX 3080
|Technical Specs||GeForce RTX 2070||GeForce RTX 3080|
|Process Size||12 nm||8 nm|
|Transistors||10,800 million||28,300 million|
|Base Clock||1410 MHz||1260 MHz|
|Boost Clock||1620 MHz||1710 MHz|
|Memory Size||8 GB||12 GB /8 GB|
|Memory Bus Width||256 bit||384-bit|
|Memory Bandwidth||448.0 GB/s||912.4 GB/s|
|TDP||175 W||350 W|
|Suggested PSU||450 W||650 W|
|MSRP||499 USD||799 USD|
|Best Variants||–||Best RTX 3080|
The RTX 2070 uses the TU106 GPU based on the Turing architecture, whereas the RTX 3080 uses the GA102 based on the Ampere architecture.
The bulk of the improvements in the newer card come from its smaller processing nodes, which allow for much more power in a smaller die size. This, in turn, allows cards with equivalent die sizes to have much greater power than their last-gen counterparts. Larger dies of the RTX 30 series have a huge performance leap from the ones used in the RTX 20 series.
Also Read: RTX 2070 Vs RTX 2080
AI And Ray-Tracing
While the DLSS performance between the two cards remains largely the same, the 2nd Gen RT cores on the 3080 allow it for actual use of Ray Tracing in games. In contrast, the RTX 20 series of cards were the first iteration of ray tracing, and this generation was largely regarded as a proof of concept rather than a differentiating feature.
Though the performance per watt of the RTX 3080 is much better than the RTX 2070. Despite this, the RTX 3080 has more power draw than the 2070. This can be attributed to the RTX 3080 being a higher-tier card than the RTX 2070.
It is important to remember that the TDP of the RTX 3080 is double the TDP of the RTX 2070 while making your purchasing decision, as the power draw 3080 can easily warrant an upgrade of your power supply.
If you want to match your power supply to the power target of the rest of your computer, read our article on how many watts a gaming PC consumes.
While comparing these two cards, it is important to remember that the RTX 3080 is over 2 inches larger than the RTX 2070. This larger length and the larger cooler required to accommodate the higher TDP of the RTX 3080 make a substantial difference in the volume of these cards. Getting the beefier card can force you to purchase a larger case.
For more information, read our article on what to consider while buying a PC case.
RTX 3080 Vs RTX 2070 Gaming
In the parts following this of the RTX 2070 vs RTX 3080 comparison, we will discuss the performance of each card in real-world gaming scenarios. These tests were done in a controlled environment on a test bench, the specifications of which are listed below.
- OS – Windows 10 Pro
- CPU – i9-10900K
- CPU Cooler – AIO MarsGaming ML-ONE360 Black
- RAM – Crucial RAM 32 GB (4×8) Dual Channel 3600 Mhz CL 16
- SSD – Samsung SSD 970 Evo
- Motherboard – MSI X570 A Pro Gaming
- Power Supply – Gigabyte P850GM 850W
1440p Gaming Benchmarks
God Of War
- In the first game of my testing, the RTX 3080 dominated the RTX 2070 with an average of 108 FPS over 58 FPS.
- The 1% lows were not any kinder to the RTX 2070. It achieved 1% lows of 46 FPS compared to 86 FPS in God Of War.
- Regarding performance disparity, the RTX 3080 demonstrated an astounding 86% increase in average FPS and 1% lows compared to the RTX 2070.
Also Check: RTX 2070 Vs RX 6650 XT
Forza Horizon 5
- Utilizing ultra settings in Forza Horizon 5, the RTX 2070 got an average of 59 FPS which seems like a low number compared to the 110 FPS the RTX 3080 achieved.
- Regarding 1% lows, the RTX 2070 gave a performance of about 46 FPS, whereas the RTX 3080 was less stuttery with 88 FPS.
- The RTX 3080 delivered an impressive performance boost of approximately 86% in average FPS and a staggering 91% improvement in 1% lows compared to the RTX 2070 in Forza Horizon 5 at ultra settings.
Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Perhaps the most GPU-bound game in our tests, Microsoft Flight Simulator once again proved the capabilities of the RTX 3080. It averaged about 59 FPS compared to 32 FPS on the RTX 2070.
- 1% lows were, as expected, better on the RTX 3080. It had 1% lows of 25 FPS compared to 47 FPS on the RTX 2070.
- The RTX 3080 once again exhibited an impressive average FPS increase of approximately 84% compared to the RTX 2070, while its 1% lows see a notable improvement of around 47%.
- In Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding, the RTX 3080 again showed great performance by managing 159 FPS on average compared to the 87 FPS average of the RTX 2070.
- 1% lows did not differ drastically in this game compared to the averages. The RTX 3080 had an average of 128 FPS, surpassing the RTX 2070’s 69 FPS.
- The average FPS showed an increase of 82% for the RTX 3080 compared to the RTX 2070. This discrepancy continued with an 85% difference in 1% lows for the aforementioned cards.
Similar Comparisons: RTX 2080 Vs RTX 3080
- In the notoriously hard-to-run Battlefield 2042, the RTX 2070 managed about 64 FPS on average, whereas the RTX 3080 had an average of about 120 FPS.
- This game had the RTX 2070 outputting 1% lows of 50 FPS, whereas the RTX 3080 had 1% lows of 95 FPS.
- The averages in this game were once again 87% better on the RTX 3080, whereas the 1% lows gave the card an advantage of 90% over the RTX 2070.
2160p Gaming Benchmarks
God Of War
- Testing God Of War at 4k Ultra, the RTX 3080 outperformed the RTX 2070, maintaining an average of 84 FPS compared to 45 FPS.
- The RTX 2070 didn’t fare better in terms of 1% lows. It achieved 1% lows of 31 FPS, while the RTX 3080 achieved 59 FPS in God Of War.
- Regarding the performance gap, the RTX 3080 exhibited a remarkable 86% increase in average FPS and a staggering 90% increase in 1% lows compared to the RTX 2070.
Forza Horizon 5
- When raising the resolution to 4k while playing Forza Horizon 5, the RTX 2070 obtained an average of 45 FPS, which appears relatively low compared to the 85 FPS achieved by the RTX 3080.
- Regarding 1% lows, the performance of the RTX 2070 was around 31 FPS, whereas the RTX 3080 came closer to 58 FPS.
- In Forza Horizon 5, at ultra settings, the RTX 3080 showcased an impressive performance improvement of approximately 88% in average FPS and an astounding 89% enhancement in 1% lows compared to the RTX 2070.
Also Read: RTX 4070 Vs RTX 3080
Microsoft Flight Simulator
- We see some interesting results when we play the already graphically demanding game of Microsoft Flight Simulator at 4k. The RTX 2070 averaged a “cinematic” 25 FPS, whereas the RTX 3080 also, for the first time, noticeably dipped below sixty FPS with an average frame rate of 47 FPS.
- Both these graphics cards disappointed in this title, with 1% lows of 32 FPS for the RTX 3080 and 17 FPS for the RTX 2070.
- Though the performance was not great on either card, the performance delta between the two cards was still as significant as the rest of the tests. The RTX 2070 was ahead by about 88% in average FPS and 1% lows.
- Death Stranding was another game that our RTX 2070 failed to play at or above 60 FPS at 4k. The RTX 2070 averaged about 52 FPS, whereas the RTX 3080 was much more playable, with an average of 96 FPS.
- Switching gears to 1% lows, the RTX 3080 had 67 FPS, while the RTX 2070 lagged with 36 FPS.
- The average FPS showed an increase of 84% for the RTX 3080 compared to the RTX 2070. This discrepancy continued with an 86% difference in 1% lows for the aforementioned cards.
- Turning up the resolution in Battlefield 2042, we see that the 2070 averages 41 FPS, whereas the RTX 3070 averages about 77 FPS.
- This game had the RTX 2070 outputting 1% lows of 28 FPS, whereas the RTX 3080 had 1% lows of 53 FPS.
- The averages in this game were 87% better on the RTX 3080, whereas the 1% lows gave the card an advantage of 89% over the RTX 2070.
Also Check: RX 5700 XT Vs RTX 3080
RTX 2070 Vs RTX 3080: Overall Gaming Performance
In this section of the comparison, I will compare the findings of the benchmark tests above.
In our testing, the RTX 3080 demolished the RTX 2070 in all games at both resolutions. On average, the RTX 3080 was 86% faster in terms of average FPS and about 88% more performant regarding 1% lows.
If you wish to squeeze a little more performance out of these GPUs, read our article on overclocking.
Performance Per Dollar
it is important to mention the performance per dollar in this comparison to give some credit to the RTX 2070 where it is due. The RTX 2070 has notably better performance per dollar than the RTX 3080.
The RTX 2070 has a performance per dollar of 0.3 frames/dollar, whereas the RTX 3080’s performance per dollar is closer to 0.2 frames/dollar. This 33% disparity justifies the existence of the RTX 2070 in Nvidia’s GPU hierarchy.
If you want to learn the current market cost of your computer, check out our valuation guide.
Price And Availability
The RTX 3080 comes at $450 on the used market, whereas the RTX 2070 is much cheaper at around $200.
Also Read: RTX 3080 Vs 3080 Ti
These cards are available mostly on online retailers, though you can still find the RTX 3080 cards for a little below MSRP in retailers such as Microcenter.
Which One Should You Go For
The distinction between the demographics of the RTX 2070 vs RTX 3080 is quite apparent. Each card is for a specific type of consumer.
- The RTX 2070 appeals to the budget gamer who wants a competitive experience at 1080p and high visual fidelity at 1440p.
- In both of these scenarios, the RTX 2070 does not disappoint. As a matter of fact, it might be one of the best options out there for someone looking for a great modern gaming experience on a budget.
- On the other hand, the value proposition of the RTX 3080 is steep, though the performance gains justify it for most consumers.
- I would go as far as to say that if you have the budget for an RTX 3080, you should spring to buy it. It offers better longevity, performance, and a usable ray-traced gaming experience.
If you wish to know how long your gaming PC will last after you upgrade, read our linked article.
Pros And Cons
|RTX 3080||RTX 2070|
|Enough performance for 1440p ultra and 4k ultra gaming.||Has a significantly higher power draw than the RTX 2070.||An amazing deal for 1080p high gaming compared to recent GPUs.||Performs significantly worse than the RTX 3080.|
|Much better Ray Tracing implementation.||It is more expensive than the RTX 2070.||Lower power draw lends itself to lowering the upgrade cost further.||Unable to perform well in 1440p ultra or 4k ultra gaming.|
The RTX 3080 offers three DisplayPort 1.4a outputs and one HDMI 2.1 output.
No, the RTX 3080 comes in two specifications, a strong 12 GB model and a weaker 8 GB model.
No, DLSS 3 and the accompanying frame generation is locked to the RTX 40 series of cards.
More From RTX 3080
- RTX 3080 Vs RX 6800 XT
- Radeon RX 6700 XT Vs GeForce RTX 3080
- RTX 4070 Ti Vs RTX 3080
- RX 7900 XT Vs RTX 3080
- RTX 4080 Vs RTX 3080
- RTX 3080 Vs RX 6900 XT
- RTX 3080 10GB Vs RTX 3080 12GB
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔