While the RTX 3060 Ti is a bit cheaper, the RTX 3070 offers much more performance capabilities. If inflation weren’t on the rise today, we would have recommended the 3070 and called it a day. To help you select the right GPU for your rig, we are going to discuss the performance of the two GPUs in our RTX 3060 Ti vs RTX 3070 comparison.
- Starting off, it should be emphasized that the Ampere architecture serves as the foundation for both the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti.
- Following that, it was observed during benchmark tests that the RTX 3070 had a lead of approximately 10.2% in average FPS over the RTX 3060 Ti.
- Furthermore, it was noticed that in most of the games, the RTX 3070 consumed less power compared to the RTX 3060 Ti, possibly due to its enhanced raytracing features.
- To conclude, it should be noted that the RTX 3070 is priced higher than the RTX 3060 Ti, with a difference of around 22.2% based on their MSRP.
Also Read: RTX 3060 Vs 3060 Ti
While it may be true that the RTX 3070 is stronger, we need to look at the on-paper specifications. Similarly, we can analyze what the weaker graphics card lacks through the specifications.
|Name||NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti||NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070|
|Node||Samsung 8nm||Samsung 8nm|
|Core Clock||1410 MHz||1500 MHz|
|Boost Clock||1670 MHz||1725 MHz|
|Memory||8 GB GDDR6||8 GB GDDR6|
|Memory Clock||15 Gbps||14 Gbps|
|Memory Bandwidth||448 GB/s||448 GB/s|
|Transistors||17.4 billion||17.4 billion|
|Power Connector||1 x 12 pin||1 x 12 pin|
|Launch Year||December 2, 2020||October 29, 2020|
|Best Variants||Best RTX 3060 Ti Cards||Best RTX 3070 Cards|
In light of the above chart, we can see the RTX 3070 winning against the RTX 3060 Ti. However, there are a few areas where the RTX 3060 Ti takes the lead. For example, the RTX 3060 Ti has a more efficient TDP, more memory clock, and the same number of transistors!
But if we look at RT and CUDA cores, the RTX 3070 has a significant lead over its competitor. To clarify, more RT cores mean that a graphics card has greater raytracing capabilities. Although the RTX 3070 isn’t the best raytracing graphics card, its RT capabilities are greater than the RTX 3060 Ti.
Lastly, while looking at the pricing, the RTX 3060 Ti’s inflation rate is significantly higher than the RTX 3070’s. Until now, the better the graphics card, the higher its prices were. That isn’t the case for the RTX 3070, which is only ~11.875% more expensive than the 3060 Ti. To conclude the specifications, the RTX 3060 Ti is good, but the 3070 is better.
Also Check: RX 6750 XT Vs RTX 3060 Ti
Benchmarks For RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070 For 1080P
All things considered, after knowing the on-paper specifications of the RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070, let’s check their gaming performance. For the purpose of testing two pieces of hardware, it’s important to test them first practically. In addition, the best way to test a graphics card is to play a few games. The following benchmarks are by Hardware For Gamers.
- Processor: Ryzen 9 5900X
- Motherboard: MSI X570A Pro Gaming
- RAM: Crucial RAM 16 GB (2 x 8) Dual Channel 4800 MHz CL40
- CPU Cooler: AIO Enermax Liqmax III ARGB
- Storage: Samsung SSD 970 Evo
- Power Supply: Gigabyte P850GM 850W
- Graphics Card: RTX 3060 Ti ASUS Dual Mini OC 8GB & RTX 3070 ASUS Dual OC 8GB
- Looking at the frame times, the RTX 3070 has significantly faster frames than the RTX 3060 Ti. To clarify, the RTX 3070 has ~40.3% faster frames than its competitor. What’s more, for competitive shooter games, such a massive difference can be a deciding factor for victory. In any case, as New World isn’t a shooter-type game, slower frames won’t affect the gameplay too much.
- Secondly, talking about power draw, the RTX 3070 uses more wattage than the RTX 3060 Ti. Although both graphics cards have the same architecture, the power consumption is likely because of greater performance. On the other hand, the RTX 3070 has a lower temperature than the RTX 3060 Ti. Even though the difference is by 1C, it shows that the 3070 has a great heat sink.
- Lastly, talking about FPS, the RTX 3060 Ti averages 135 FPS, and the 3070 averages 159 FPS. In other words, the RTX 3070 is ~18% faster than the RTX 3060 Ti in New World. If we look at the current price difference, the RTX 3070 costs ~12% more than the 3060 Ti. Therefore, the RTX 3070 has a greater performance per dollar. So, if you’re confused over which GPU to buy, maybe look towards the RTX 3070.
- The RTX 3070 has significantly faster frames than the RTX 3060 Ti. What’s more, with a ~38.65% difference in frame times, the RTX 3070 is the graphics card you want.
- Furthermore, talking about the power draw, the RTX 3070 consumes less power than the RTX 3060 Ti. While unknown why, the likely possibility is that the RTX 3070’s chip is more efficient as performance is similar. Moreover, the RTX 3070 has lower temperatures than the RTX 3060 Ti. Despite having a greater wattage requirement, the RTX 3070 is not only consuming less power but is also cooler.
- To that end, if we look at the raytracing performance of both graphics cards, there isn’t much difference. So, that implies that you can go with either graphics card if you’re only after raytracing.
- Lastly, looking at the FPS, surprisingly, both graphics cards have almost the same FPS. Although the RTX 3070 has a 1% performance uplift, we can practically ignore the difference. The abnormal FPS difference must be because of enabling raytracing in the game.
Also Read: RX 6700 XT Vs RTX 3060 Ti
Forza Horizon 5
- Talking about the frame times, there is about a ~10% difference between the frame speeds of both graphics cards. Because Forza Horizon 5 isn’t a shooter-type game, the frame lag won’t affect your gaming experience as much. So, frame times shouldn’t be your main concern if you buy a graphics card for such games. However, the story changes if you want to play games such as Battlefield 2042, which we looked at above.
- Furthermore, glancing at the power draw of the RTX 3070 Vs 3060 Ti, the RTX 3070 utilizes less power. Without a doubt, this anomaly is because of enabling raytracing. While the RTX 3070 is acceptable for raytracing, the same is not true for the RTX 3060 Ti. Moreover, looking at the temperatures, the RTX 3060 Ti runs hotter than its competitor in Forza Horizon 5.
- To conclude, looking at the FPS, the RTX 3070 is slightly faster than the RTX 3060 Ti. Although, with RT on, the RTX 3060 Ti has a better performance per dollar ratio. With a slight 7% performance uplift, the RTX 3070 cannot keep its efficiency lead against the cheaper GPU.
Far Cry 6
- We see that the RTX 3070 consistently has faster frames. Especially in shooter games, the RTX 3070 seems to excel in frame times. For example, in Far Cry 6, the RTX 3070’s frames are ~43.4% faster than the RTX 3060 Ti. While Far Cry 6 isn’t competitive, there are chances you might notice the frame lag with the RTX 3060 Ti.
- Furthermore, looking at the power draw, the RTX 3070 is drawing significantly less power than the RTX 3060 Ti. Besides raytracing, no other explanation makes sense because the game is optimized well for graphics cards. Similarly, looking at the temperatures, the RTX 3070 has a much lower temperature than the RTX 3060 Ti.
- Lastly, the average FPS of the RTX 3070 is slightly higher than the RTX 3060 Ti. However, with only a 5% uplift, the RTX 3060 Ti has a greater performance per dollar ratio. So, if you’re buying a graphics card for its raw rasterization performance, the RTX 3070 is a good GPU. But, if you’re looking to spend every penny wisely, maybe lean towards the RTX 3060 Ti.
Also Read: RX 6700 XT Vs RTX 3070
- With attention to the frame times, the RTX 3070 has faster frames than the RTX 3060 Ti. To clarify, the RTX 3070 has ~18% faster frames than its competitor. While Halo Infinite isn’t a competitive game, slower frames can hinder your gameplay because it is a shooter-type. So, buying a graphics card for such games, you should look for an RTX 3070.
- Moreover, looking at the power draw of both graphics cards, the RTX 3070 consumes lower watts. Because of its consistently lower wattage consumption, the RTX 3070 has a more efficient TDP than the RTX 3060 Ti. Also, looking at the temperatures, the RTX 3060 Ti is significantly hotter than the RTX 3070. That is to say; the 3070 has a great heat sink too.
- Lastly, glancing at the FPS, unfortunately, there isn’t any difference between the FPS of both graphics cards. To emphasize, there is only a 1% performance difference between the RTX 3070 vs 3060 Ti. Therefore, the 3060 Ti has a greater performance per dollar ratio, making it more efficient in games and raw rasterization.
Similar Comparisons: RX 5700 XT Vs RTX 3060 Ti
Call of Duty Vanguard
- Looking at the frame times of both GPUs, the 3070 is slightly faster than the 3060 Ti. To put it differently, the RTX 3070 has ~6.7% faster frames. Because Call of Duty Vanguard has an online multiplayer mode, going with the RTX 3070 is better. If you go with the RTX 3060 Ti, there are chances of experiencing frame lag which can cost you matches.
- Additionally, talking about the power draw, the RTX 3060 Ti uses slightly lower power than the RTX 3070. For once, the RTX 3060 Ti has a lower wattage consumption than its competitor. On the contrary, the RTX 3070 has a lower temperature even though its wattage usage is higher. So, we can state that the RTX 3070 has a better heat sink than the RTX 3060 Ti.
- Lastly, glancing at the FPS from both graphics cards, the RTX 3070 has a significant uplift over the 3060 Ti. Despite having a 19% performance uplift, overall, the RTX 3060 Ti most likely has a better performance per dollar ratio. But, at least for Call of Duty Vanguard, the RTX 3070 has better valueShould
- Looking at the frame times from both graphics cards, the RTX 3070 has significantly faster frames. With the fastest frames, the RTX 3070 has ~68.8% faster frame times than the 3060 Ti in Fortnite. Because the game has a competitive mode, the difference between frame times will be essential in helping you win. For that reason, we recommend picking the RTX 3070 for competitive gaming.
- Moreover, talking about power draw, the RTX 3060 Ti consumes slightly less power than the RTX 3070. At least in Fortnite, the RTX 3060 Ti is a bit more efficient. Conversely, if we look at the temperatures, the RTX 3070 is much cooler than the RTX 3060 Ti. So, if you’re scared about temperatures, you can rest assured with the RTX 3070 with its great heat spreader.
- Finally, talking about the FPS, the RTX 3070 sees a significant gain against the RTX 3060 Ti. To clarify, the RTX 3070 is ~15% faster than the RTX 3060 Ti in Fortnite. At any rate, because the 3070 is ~12% more expensive than the 3060 Ti, it has a better value in Fortnite.
Also Read: RTX 3060 Ti Vs RTX 3070 Ti
Call of Duty Warzone
- Firstly, looking at the frame times, the RTX 3070 has slightly faster frames than the RTX 3060 Ti. Because Call of Duty Warzone has a multiplayer mode, the ~9% faster frames will prove useful. Therefore, if you’re looking to buy a graphics card for competitive gaming, lean towards the RTX 3070. Although, if you don’t have the budget, the RTX 3060 Ti is still a great graphics card.
- Secondly, talking about the power draw, the RTX 3070 consumes significantly lower power than the RTX 3060 Ti. In addition, the RTX 3070 runs much cooler, too, proving its lower TDP. So, if you can afford the greater electricity bill and want the most performance you can get, we recommend going with the RTX 3070. However, if you want to save as much electricity as possible, go with the RTX 3060 Ti.
- Lastly, glancing at the FPS, the RTX 3070 has a slight edge over the RTX 3060 Ti. Even with an 8% performance uplift against the RTX 3060 Ti, the latter offers greater value. Due to the RTX 3070 being ~12% more expensive, an 8% performance uplift isn’t enough to increase its value. Therefore, if you’re looking for the best performance per dollar graphics card, you should go with the RTX 3060 Ti.
Also Check: RTX 3060 Ti vs RTX 2070 Super
RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070 Gaming Benchmarks Verdict
After looking at all the benchmarks for the RTX 3060 Ti vs 3070, let’s see which GPU is worth it. While the RTX 3070 is faster in raw performance, it’s important to see which GPU has better value.
For that reason, we conduct benchmarks and compare the performance with the cost of the product. If the average of the benchmarks is greater than the cost of both products, then the GPU is worth it. However, if not, then the weaker GPU is worth it.
Similarly, the average FPS of the RTX 3060 Ti is 843, and the average of the RTX 3070 is 929. Summing up, the RTX 3070 is ~10.2% faster than the RTX 3060 Ti. Overall, the results aren’t too shabby, and the RTX 3070’s performance nearly matches its current price.
But that’s only for raw rasterization performance. We noticed through these tests that if you enable raytracing, the RTX 3060 Ti’s value increases. Therefore, if enabling raytracing while getting value is your goal, then the RTX 3060 Ti is the better option. On the other hand, if you only care about raw performance, then the RTX 3070 is the obvious option.
To conclude, your graphics card depends on your budget and use-case scenario. For example, if you want to game at 4K, then the RTX 3060 Ti is useless. Conversely, the RTX 3060 Ti’s value increases if you want to mine cryptocurrency.
While it’s important to test two modern graphics cards at 1080P, it’s equally important to test them at 1440P. Although it feels that way, consumers are shifting to higher resolutions, with 1080P becoming the bare minimum. Therefore, we should check how well the RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070 graphics cards can handle higher resolutions. However, it’s pretty obvious that neither graphics card supports 1440P; the RTX 3070 is barely acceptable.
The following benchmark results are by Hardware For Gamers. Furthermore, they show that the RTX 3060 Ti gets 60 FPS in almost all games. On the other hand, the RTX 3070 easily exceeds the 60 FPS mark in every game in the benchmark.
Similar Comparisons: RTX 4070 Vs RTX 3070 Ti
In addition, if we look at the average FPS, the 3060 Ti has 667 FPS, and the 3070 has 732. In essence, that’s a ~9.7% performance uplift for the RTX 3070. As you already know, the 3070 costs ~12% more, so if you’re looking at value, the 3060 Ti is better. Meanwhile, if you’re only looking at performance, you should buy the RTX 3070.
Lastly, the graphics card you go with depends on your use-case scenario. If you want to game at 1080P, then the RTX 3070 is better. But if you want to game at 1440P, maybe the RTX 3060 Ti offers better value for you.
Finally, talking about 4K resolution, many gamers are beginning to adopt the higher resolution. To explain, the processor can be a reason for lower FPS at lower resolutions. However, at higher resolutions, only GPUs decide the FPS for the most part. While most consumers might know, this phenomenon is known as CPU bottlenecking. Therefore, it’s important to test graphics cards at 4K resolution.
Hardware For Gamers has conducted the following benchmarks we’re using as a reference. Although the RTX 3060 Ti has a better value at 1440P resolution, things begin to change at 4K. What’s more, with both graphics cards barely averaging over 30 FPS, only a few games go over 60 FPS.
Furthermore, looking at the average FPS, the RTX 3060 Ti has 360 FPS, and the RTX 3070 has 407 FPS. The RTX 3070 is 13% faster than the RTX 3060 Ti at 4K resolution. The 3070 is ~12% more expensive than the 3060 Ti; it’s worth buying if you’re going to game at 4K.
To conclude, while both graphics cards aren’t satisfactory for gaming at 4K resolution, the 3070 is better. Likewise, not only in terms of performance but also of performance per dollar. As a result, if you have the budget, going with the RTX 3070 is the better option.
RTX 3070 Vs RTX 3060 Ti Mining Benchmarks
After looking at the gaming performance of both graphics cards, let’s view them in cryptocurrency mining. While many consumers dislike cryptocurrency mining for obvious reasons, many still indulge in the act. In summary, cryptocurrency mining legitimizes cryptocurrency transactions through intense algorithms. After solving one of these algorithms, a miner gets a “Mine Hash.”
Also Read: RTX 4070 Ti Vs RTX 3070 Ti
To clarify, a graphics card can perform difficult algorithms calculated in Mega Hashes (MH/s). So, the higher the Mega Hash of a graphics card, the better its cryptocurrency mining value is. Also, since the COVID-19 outbreak, GPUs with a better Mega Hash value has become almost impossible to buy.
Because a crypto-mining rig has multiple graphics cards, miners began bulk-buying most graphics cards. The act didn’t only inflate prices but also took most computer hardware out of stock. In any case, moving back to the RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070, let’s check which graphics card has better value.
The above image is by NiceHash. Now, looking at the value of both graphics cards, we see that both offer the same earnings. However, because the RTX 3070 is more expensive, you get better value with the RTX 3060 Ti especially so if you’re thinking of buying the graphics card in bulk.
RTX 3070 Vs RTX 3060 Ti In Laptops
Of course, a desktop build is great, but many consumers prefer using laptops for work and playing. Therefore, we should check laptops with the RTX 3060 Ti and the RTX 3070. However, it’s important to note that a laptop graphics card differs from a desktop GPU. Because most laptops cannot afford to have a full-fledged GPU, they put a cut-down version.
Laptops For the RTX 3060 Ti
Unfortunately, there aren’t any laptops in the market that utilize the RTX 3060 Ti. So, if you want a laptop with the 3060 Ti, we advise using an AMD equivalent or the RTX 3060. On the other hand, you can also buy a laptop with the RTX 3070, depending on your budget.
Talking about a laptop with the RTX 3060 graphics card, we’re looking at the Acer Predator Helios 300. Consequently, you get the RTX 3060 and an Intel i7 11800H processor with the budget-friendly Helios 300.
Also, the Helios 300 laptop comes with a 144 Hz 3ms IPS display panel at 1080P resolution. Furthermore, you get 16 GB of DDR4 RAM and a 512 GB SSD. So, you don’t have to worry about the laptop’s speed as it will be fast. Not to mention, the Helios 300 comes with a matte-black body that looks visually pleasing.
Overall, the Helios 300 comes with a $1,211 price tag, so it’s a pretty inexpensive laptop. Moreover, with its specs, buying this laptop will probably cost you less than building a PC.
Laptops For the RTX 3070
Now, let’s see whether a laptop with the RTX 3070 is a better option or not. For the RTX 3070, we are choosing the MSI Pulse GL66 laptop. Not only because of its price but also because of the hardware the laptop offers.
Also Check: RX 6800 XT Vs RTX 3070 Ti
Firstly, along with the RTX 3070, you’re getting an Intel i7 12700H processor. Besides that, you’re also getting 16 GB of DDR4 RAM to help with all productivity and gaming tasks. Also, the Pulse GL66 comes with a 512 GB NVMe SSD, so your boot-up speeds will be lightning-fast.
Secondly, the Pulse GL66 has a 144 Hz, 15.6-inch 1080P resolution screen. Additionally, the laptop comes in a polished-black color which is aesthetically pleasing.
Lastly, talking about price, the MSI Pulse GL66 has a price tag of $1,491. Although $280 is more expensive than the Helios 300, the GL66 comes with a better graphics card and processor. Overall, if you’re looking for a laptop with a decent GPU and processor, we suggest buying the MSI Pulse GL66. However, if you’re trying to save as much money as possible, you should go with the Acer Predator Helios 300.
Who Is This Article For?
To begin with, the RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070 article is for consumers who are looking to upgrade their rigs. For that reason, we have described the specifications of both the graphics cards first. Secondly, we looked at their rasterization performance at 1080P resolution. After that, we discussed the performance of both GPUs at 1440P and 4K resolution.
Similarly, we discussed the cryptocurrency mining value for the RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070 graphics cards. Moreover, we also looked at laptops for the RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070 and discussed which is better. And to conclude, we looked at the specifications for the RTX 3060 Ti Vs 3070 Ti graphics cards.
Why Should You Trust Tech4Gamers?
By and large, Tech4Gamers has been in the computer technology niche for ~12 years now. Due to our writers’ different expertise, our platform has a wide range of articles. Furthermore, we strive to provide our readers with factual information that they desire.
Also, our tech reviewers take amazing pictures for the product reviews, which we place in relevant articles. In light of everything else, Tech4Gamers has news, comparison, and product review sections where you can navigate and find countless articles.
Many famous brands such as Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and DeepCool acknowledge our articles. Lastly, our top priority is to ensure that our write-ups provide factual and interesting information for our readers.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔