Gamers often encounter issues with their PS5 disc drive. The PS5 disc drive not working means that the disc drive cannot read the disc that was inserted inside. The problem is quite frustrating as gamers can’t proceed to play their game on the console.
- When the PS5 disc drive is not working, it cannot read the discs inserted. Therefore, gamers won’t be able to play disc games.
- You can fix the disc drive issue by cleaning the disc and by restarting, updating, or resetting the console.
- To prevent your PS5 disc drive from not working, you should be careful when inserting discs, keep the console in a clean area, be gentle with the discs, and update the console regularly.
Why Is My PS5 Disc Drive Not Working?
There can be numerous reasons why a PS5 disc drive may stop working. Firstly, all tech devices are prone to wear out. Hardware issues are expected after constantly using the console over a certain period. In most cases, users face problems with the disc drives of the console as they are the most exposed hardware. The wear out results in the disc drive abruptly stopping when trying to read discs.
Secondly, the console may have firmware issues which may cause the disc drive not to work properly. Firmware issues can come with the operating system, with updates in the form of bugs and so on. They can often cause interruptions or problems when your console tries to read the disc, leading to the drive issue.
Lastly, similar to the first reason, the consoles are expected to wear out, but the time they take to wear out depends entirely on how they are used. If the users are rough with the console and tend to be harsh when inserting or removing discs from the drive, it is meant to get damaged earlier. If the users are not careful of the condition of the disc they are inserting in the drive, then it will also shorten the lifespan of the disc drive.
Also, you might be interested in reading about what to do when the PS5 controller is not working on PC.
How To Fix PS5 Disc Drive Not Working?
If you’re facing PS5 disc drive problems, you can follow the methods below.
Clean The Disc And Disc Tray
First and foremost, it is essential to use clean discs. The discs should be dust and debris-free when inserted into the disc drive. You can use a slightly damp microfiber cloth to clean the disc before inserting it.
That way, the disc drive will not have trouble reading the disc. Moreover, you should also clean the disc drive that might have collected dust or debris over time or from previously inserted discs. Compressed air can help remove dirt from places or corners out of reach.
Also Read: How To Check PS4 Controller Battery On PC?
Insert The Disc The Correct Way
Before inserting the disc, ensure it faces the right direction when put in the disc drive. The colored side with the game name usually faces up where the console’s buttons are.
What To Do If Disc Tray Does Not Open?
Many times, the disc gets stuck inside the disc drive. This causes the disc drive to be unable to eject it when you press its button. In this case, you must follow the steps below to eject the disc manually.
- Turn off your console. Unplug and cables attached to it.
- Lay the console on a flat surface.
- Remove its base by unscrewing the screw using a 5mm Phillips screwdriver.
- Now position the console so the side with the logo faces down.
- Hold the cover edges of the cover diagonally. One edge should be on the opposite side of the disc drive.
- Slide off the cover. You may have to use some force.
- Locate a small black plastic circle above the disc drive.
- Poke through the circle using the Phillips screwdriver.
- Rotate the screwdriver in a clockwise direction. This will cause the disc to come out of the disc drive manually.
- Once the disc is out, gently remove it from the drive.
- Slide the console cover back into its place. The sound of a click will ensure that it has been securely attached.
- After plugging all the cables back in, you may turn on your console.
Boot PS5 From Safe Mode
You should try restarting your console after entering safe mode if your PS5 disc drive is malfunctioning. Follow the given step to do so.
- Power your console off.
- Once the power indicator shuts down, press the power button on the console until you hear a beep, and keep holding the power button for 7 seconds more until you hear the second beep.
- Proceed to connect your DualSense controller to the console via cable. You can easily locate the USB port on the front of the console or the back.
- Press the PlayStation logo button on the controller.
- Once you’ve entered the safe mode, you may click on ‘Restart PS5.’
Update Your PS5 Console
You can also try updating to see if any bug fixes can help eradicate the disc drive issue. Follow the given steps to check for updates.
- Enter the PS5 Settings.
- Click on ‘System.’
- Click on ‘System Software.’
- Click on the ‘System Software Update’ option.
- The console will display any updates if available.
- You may proceed to update the console.
Also Read: How To Use Two Controllers On PC?
Reset Your PS5 Console
You must know that any saved data will be wiped off if you reset the console. Therefore, I advise you to back it up on an external device before resetting the console. You can back up your data by following the given steps.
- Enter the Settings.
- Click on ‘System.’
- Click on ‘System Software.’
- Click ‘Back up and restore’ and then ‘Back up your PS5.’
- You may select the data you want to back up and then click ‘Next.’
- Once displayed with the files’ names and sizes, click ‘Back up.’
- The backup will begin once the console restarts.
- You will be displayed with ‘Back up complete’ once done.
- Proceed to click ‘Ok’ once the display message appears.
- The console will restart itself once again.
Once you have backed up your data, you can follow the given steps to reset your PS5 console.
- Enter the Settings.
- Click on ‘System.’
- Click on ‘Reset Options.’
- Click on ‘Reset Your Console.’
- And lastly, click on ‘Reset.’
Contact Sony For PS5 Support
You may contact Sony for support if you have tried all the methods yet still need help with the disc drive. They are most likely to diagnose the issue. The service center can fix the problem if it is beyond your capability. This will prevent you from causing your console any further unwanted damage.
How To Prevent PS5 Disc Drive Issues In the Future?
Now that I’ve mentioned all the methods you can try to make the disc drive work, here are some tips you can keep in mind so that you don’t face disc drive issues as frequently.
Clean The Disc Before Inserting
Ensure you clean your disc before inserting it inside the disc drive. Any dirt particles, fingerprints, or smudges should be wiped clean. Not only will this protect your disc and disc drive, but it will help the disc drive read the disc easily.
Make Sure The Disc Is Compatible
Many times we are the ones at fault as we fail to check whether the disc is compatible with the console or not. In such cases, the disc drive is not to blame for not working. While you can insert PS4 discs in the PS5 disc drive and expect them to work, you can not do so with PS2 and PS3 discs.
Also Check: How To Connect Matricom Controller To PC?
PS5 is backward compatible with PS4 discs only. Any discs for previous models will fail to be read by the PS5 disc drive.
Keep The Console On A Suitable Place
Make sure the console is kept on a flat, clean surface. You must ensure that the place where the console is placed is free from dust and dirt. It should also not be placed near liquid items. Avoid placing the console near windows where it can easily catch dust.
Be Extra Careful When Inserting Discs
Be gentle with the disc when you are inserting it inside the console. Hold the disc from its edges and avoid touching its face. Gently insert it inside the disc drive. If you are forceful or harsh to the disc, you can cause scratches or damage to the disc and even the disc drive.
Make Sure To Update The Console Regularly
Keep checking for console updates from time to time. They contain bugs and error fixes. The update will help fix the disc drive issue and any underlying issues you may not have noticed.
You are now provided with every possible fix you can do at home if your PS5 disc drive is not working. Learning how well you deal with the discs and the disc drive is essential. You should learn to be gentle with both and ensure the disc is safe from scratches, marks, dirt, and smudges. The disc shouldn’t be damaged.
You must be extra careful when inserting the disc into the disc drive, be patient, and not use too much force. The fixes provided should be helpful enough to get rid of the issue. However, if you are still unsatisfied, contact Sony support or head to its service center.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your disc doesn’t come out by pressing the eject button, you must take it out manually by opening the PS5 case and using a screwdriver clockwise on the black plastic circle.
It is advised to take out the disc from the drive once you are done playing. Leaving it can cause damage to the disc drive.
Yes, factory reset will wipe any saved data on the console. Therefore, you are advised to back it up on an external drive.
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
[How To’s & Guides Editor]
Haddi has been in the Gaming and tech Space for over 10 Years Now; he has worked on notable websites like eXputer, Gamepur, Gear Siege, Gearnuke, and plenty more. He is an expert at Games & PC Hardware; you can expect him to solve any problem. People often joke, that if there is any problem anyone can solve, Haddi can solve it faster. Currently, Haddi writes and manages a Team of Experts at Tech4Gamers.
Contact: [email protected]