Have you recently acquired a PS5 and want to play some PS4 games using its DualSense controller, but you’re unsure how to connect a PS5 controller to a PS4 without using a PC? Don’t worry; you can use Bluetooth, the Remote Play app, and other options to connect it.
- The new DualSense PS5 controllers aren’t officially backward compatible with a PS4 console.
- There are several ways to get around the compatibility issue and use the PS5 controller on your PS4, although you’ll face some input lag.
- You can connect a PS5 controller to a PS4 by setting up the Remote Play app on PS4, using a Bluetooth adapter, USB adapter, and third-party apps.
Can A PS5 Controller Be Connected To PS4?
Even though Sony says we can’t use Dual Sense wireless controllers with the PS4 console as they are incompatible in an FAQ on their site, there are still ways you can use your PS5 controller on a PS4.
But using the PS5 controller on your PS4 means input lag will occur. Moreover, you couldn’t use the Adaptive Trigger and Swipe feature like on the PS5 console.
Using the PS5 controller with the PS4 console is also not recommended, as the controller drifts away after approximately 417 hours. You can save this time for new games you want to play on a PS5 rather than an old PS4.
Before proceeding further, check out our guide about PS5 controller not working on PC.
How To Connect PS5 Controller To PS4 Without PC?
Now we’ll go over all the ways you can go about playing PS4 games with the use of the PS5 Controller.
Using Remote Play Feature
The most common way of connecting a PS5 controller to a PS4 console is by using Sony’s Remote Play app. Although this method can bring in a lot of input lag, many users still try it.
Typically you do this by connecting your PS5 controller to your PC and then connecting the PC to the PS4 using the Remote Play app.
However, you can also connect your PS5 controller to your mobile phone and then click the phone to your PS4 using the Remote Play app. Now we’ll guide you on how to do this in simple steps:
Also Read: How To Check PS4 Controller Battery On PC?
Setting Remote Play On Phone
First, you must install the Remote Play App on your mobile phone and connect it to your PS5 controller. Make sure that both your mobile phone and PS5 have the same internet connection and that Bluetooth is turned on in your mobile phone. After that, follow these steps:
- Download the Remote Play app from Sony’s official website or Play Store.
- Sign in to the Remote Play app using your Sony account.
- Hold the PlayStation and Control buttons on your PS5 for 3 seconds until you see the LEDs blinking.
- Go to Bluetooth settings and link your PS5 Controller to your mobile phone using Bluetooth.
You might also be interested in reading about how to use two controllers on a PC.
Setting Remote Play On Your PS4
Now you must set up the Remote Play app on your PS4. To do that, first, you have to put your PS4 into rest mode. To do this, press the PlayStation button on your PS4 controller, then choose Enter Rest Mode from the given menu.
With that done, you can configure Remote Play on your PS4 by following these steps:
- Connect your PS4 online and log in to your PlayStation Network account.
- Head to Settings and click on “Remote Play Connection Settings.”
- Check mark the “Enable Remote Play” and return to “Settings.”
- Now, click on “Account Management” and click the “Activate” option to enable Remote Play.
- Then go to “Power Save Settings” and choose the second option, “Set Features Available in Rest Mode.”
- Enable “Stay Connected to the Internet.”
- Click the “Enable Turning on PS4 from Network” option to start Remote Play.
Once you enable it, you’ll see Remote Play on your PS4 is configured. With that done, you must connect your PS4 to your mobile phone using the Remote Play app. This will allow you to play games on your PS4 with the PS5 controller.
Using A Bluetooth Adapter
If you don’t want to use the Remote Play feature, connect your PS5 controller to your PS4 console using a Bluetooth adapter. You can do that by following these steps:
- Plug in the adapter in the PS4 console.
- Then, turn on the Bluetooth on the adapter by pressing the pairing button on your adapter. Its lights will start blinking.
- After that, pair your DualSense Controller by pressing the PlayStation button and Create buttons on your Controller. Blue lights will start blinking.
- After pairing, they will connect, and now you can easily use PS4 with your PS5 DualSense Controller.
Also Read: How To Connect Matricom Controller To PC?
Using USB Adapter
Another workaround for using a PS5 controller on a PS4 is a USB adapter such as the Titan Two adapter. You can’t connect your PS5 to your PS4 controller wirelessly, but it still does the trick. To use it, you can follow these steps:
- Connect the USB adapter to your PS4 console.
- A USB-C cable connects the PS5 controller to the Titan Two adapter.
And with that, you can start playing your PS4 games using a PS5 controller.
Also Read: How to Build a Gaming PC
Using PSPad App
The last way of connecting a PS5 controller to a PS4 without using a PC is by installing the PSPad App. This app allows you to use a mobile phone to connect a PS5 controller and a PS4 console with the help of an internet connection. Here’s how you can do that.
- Go to the Play Store and search for the PSPad app. Install it on your mobile phone.
- Open the app after it’s installed and select Register PS.
- Select PlayStation 4.
- Enter your registration number by following the instructions provided.
- Now connect your mobile phone to your PS4 by tapping Connect.
- Lastly, connect your PS5 controller to your mobile phone using Bluetooth.
With that, you should be able to use your PS5 controller on PS4 without any issues. Ensure your PS4 and mobile phone are connected to the same internet connection.
So, now you know how to connect your PS5 controller to PS4 without a PC. With that said, remember that most of the methods mentioned in this guide will come with some input lag depending on the speed of your internet connection.
That’s why you should buy a PS4 controller for playing games on your PS4 console rather than wasting your PS5 controller’s lifespan.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can connect your PS5 controller to your phone using the Remote Play app.
Hold the PlayStation and Share buttons on your PS5 controller until it flashes a blue LED light to put it in pairing mode.
PS5 DualSense controllers can work on a PS3 console by connecting the controller to the PS3 using a USB-C cable.
- How To Connect Turtle Beach Stealth 700 To PC
- How To Fix RGB Fusion Not Working 
- 13 Ways To Fix Cudo Miner Not Using GPU
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
[How To’s & Guides Editor]
Haddi has been in the Gaming and tech Space for over 10 Years Now; he has worked on notable websites like eXputer, Gamepur, Gear Siege, Gearnuke, and plenty more. He is an expert at Games & PC Hardware; you can expect him to solve any problem. People often joke, that if there is any problem anyone can solve, Haddi can solve it faster. Currently, Haddi writes and manages a Team of Experts at Tech4Gamers.
Contact: [email protected]