If your PS5 controller is not working on your PC, you are not alone. The issue can arise due to a defective USB port or cable and can be quickly fixed by performing a hard reset of your controller. If this does not work, you will have to resort to other methods.
- The PS5 controller may fail to work on your PC due to; a defective USB port, damaged USB cable, glitch in the Bluetooth connection, and other minor problems.
- To Fix it, You can hard reset your PS5 controller, restart the computer, replace the USB cables, update the Bluetooth drivers, and more to resolve the issue.
- Remember to modify the settings on the Steam app before you can use the PS5 controller to play games on the app on your PC.
Why Is Your PS5 Controller Not Working On PC?
The problem can occur due to various reasons. We will discuss them briefly so you can understand why you are facing the controller issue in the first place.
Also Read: How To Uninstall Microsoft Edge
One of the main reasons why the controller may not work on your PC is an inactive USB port or a faulty USB cable. In addition, you will be unable to connect the two devices through Bluetooth if there is an issue with your PC’s Bluetooth connection.
Additionally, technical faults within the PS5 controller may also temper its connectivity. However, we have ample solutions to solve these issues.
How To Fix PS5 Controller Not Working On PC?
When our team encountered the same issue, we used the following methods to resume the PS5 controller’s functioning on our PC.
Connect The Controller To A Different USB Port
The issue may reside within the PC’s USB port, such as it may have lost its functioning. Therefore, the first step is to remove the controller’s cable from the connected port and reattach it to a different one.
Use A Different USB Cable
A faulty USB cable can be another reason you may face a problem with your controller’s working. Plus, some cables cannot transfer data between the devices. Switch to a USB Type-C Cable compatible with your wireless PS5 controller, then connect it to the PC.
Restart Your PC
The third troubleshooting method will be to restart your PC. Often, there may be a glitch or temporary bug present within your PC, which could prevent the controller from working. A restart will clear the computer of these hindrances, thereby allowing a hassle-free operation of the PS5 controller. Here is how you can restart a Windows 10 PC.
- Click on the Windows icon at the extreme left of the bottom panel to access the Start Menu.
- Press the Power icon.
- Choose Restart from the mini-menu to initiate the process.
Charge Your Controller
A low battery on your PS5 controller will prevent it from working on any device, including the PS5 console. Charge the controller before connecting it to the PC.
Also Read: Aura Sync Not Detecting Motherboard
Hold The PS Button
Another method that worked for several Reddit users is to hold the PS Button on your controller and wait for the blue lights to start flashing. Connect the controller to the PC via the USB cable while the lights are still blinking.
Hard Reset The PS5 Controller
We tried this fix when the controller failed to connect with our PC; thus, we can vouch for its effectiveness. You can use the following steps to reset your PS5 controller quickly.
- Turn Off the controller by holding the PS Button.
- Flip the controller so that you can see its backside.
- Grab a thin, pointed object, such as a paper pin or a toothpick.
- Spot a tiny hole on the back of your controller. The Reset Button is within it.
- Insert the object to push the button. Long-press it for about 5 seconds.
- The controller will now reset to its factory settings.
Re-Pair The Controller To The PC Via Bluetooth
This fix comes in handy if you rely on Bluetooth to connect your PC and the PS5 controller. You must re-pair the controller with your PC since the previous connection may develop glitches. Use these steps to carry out this solution.
- Go to the PC’s Settings from the Start Menu.
- Find and select Devices.
- Choose Bluetooth And Other Devices from the left panel.
- You will see a list of paired Bluetooth devices.
- Click on Wireless Controller or the set name of your PS5 controller.
- Hit Remove Device.
- Once removed, click on Add Bluetooth Or Other Device.
- Select Bluetooth.
- Hold the PS+Create Buttons on the controller simultaneously until the lights begin flashing.
- Connect to the Wireless Controller when it pops up on the scan results.
Perform A Bluetooth Troubleshooter
If your PS5 controller is not working on your PC, we suggest you troubleshoot your Bluetooth. Try pairing another device to the PC’s Bluetooth, such as your mobile phone. If the connection is unsuccessful and you cannot transfer files between the devices, there is a good chance that something is wrong with your PC’s Bluetooth. In this case, run a Bluetooth troubleshooter on your PC to detect ongoing problems.
- From the Settings page, go to Update And Security.
- Pick the fifth option on the left menu, Troubleshoot.
- Click on Additional Troubleshooters.
- Choose Bluetooth from the list under the heading Find And Fix Other Problems.
- Press the Run The Troubleshooter button.
- A pop-up will appear to initiate Detecting Problems.
- Let the process complete. The system will fix the detected problems with the PC’s Bluetooth.
Also Read: How To Lower CPU Temperature
Update The Bluetooth Drivers On The PC
You need to ensure that the Bluetooth drivers on the PC are up-to-date to use the controller on your PC. This is how you can update the Bluetooth drivers on your PC.
- Right-click on the Start button.
- It will open a sub-menu. Go to Device Manager.
- Select Bluetooth to view all the paired devices.
- Right-click on the Wireless Controller.
- Pick Update Driver from the mini-menu.
- Proceed with Search Automatically For Drivers.
- It will search and update the drivers to resume your controller’s operation on the PC.
Use The DS4Windows Software
The DS4Windows Software allows your PC to recognize the PS5 controller as Xbox 360 controller to run your desired games. The process is simple and quick, so follow it to the end.
- Install the latest DS4Windows from GitHub.
- Extract the ZIP File once installed.
- Open the Extracted Folder.
- Click on the DS4Windows icon. It looks like a multi-color controller.
- It may ask you to download a NET Framework from Microsoft. Install it and then relaunch the folder.
- Pick Appdata from the pop-up.
- The following pop-up should read, Welcome To DS4Windows.
- It ensures that you have all the necessary components installed on your PC to run the driver.
- Click Finished after you have installed the required components.
- Stay on the Controllers section and press the Start button.
- The connected PS5 Controller should show up on the next dialog box.
How To Use PS5 Controller On Steam?
To play games on Steam with your PS5 controller, you must adjust the Steam settings before initiating your gameplay on the PC. You can easily modify the Steam settings with the instructions below. Before proceeding, read our guide on the best white CPU coolers.
- Go to the Steam app and Sign In to your account.
- Choose View on the top bar.
- Click Big Picture Mode from the drop-down.
- Press the Settings icon on the next screen.
- Choose Controller Settings under the Controller section.
- Mark the boxes next to PlayStation Configuration Support and Generic Gamepad Configuration Support.
- Next, confirm that the connected PS5 controller appears in the Detected Controllers section.
What To Do If None Of The Fixes Are Effective?
The issue likely persists within your PS5 controller if the above methods do not eliminate the problem. Try using it on a PS5 console. If the controller is unresponsive on the console, contact PlayStation Support or replace the controller.
These are all the methods you can use when the PS5 controller is not working on PC. Our team tested all the fixes; consequently, we are confident they can help you fix the problem.
Common Questions Answered
There might be several reasons behind this issue, such as you are using a damaged USB port or a cable, the Bluetooth connection between the devices is unstable, or the controller’s battery is low.
You should be able to play all games in your Steam Library via PS5 controller. If not, remember to adjust the Steam settings as discussed in the guide above.
You can use a compatible USB cable to connect the controller to your PC or establish a connection over the PC’s Bluetooth.
- Case Fan Not Spinning: Causes & Fixes
- How To Fix The CPU Fan Error In ASUS Motherboards
- PC Ran Into A Problem And Needs To Restart [FIXED]
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔