The first generation of RTX cards garnered universal criticism for their absorbent prices whilst offering features that seemed like gimmicks at the time. On the other hand, the last generation of GTX cards was universally loved and praised. They gave a no-nonsense gaming experience while charging very reasonable amounts for their cards. In the GTX 1070 Ti vs RTX 2060 comparison, I highlight the performance of each of these cards in modern games.
- The RTX 2060 averaged a framerate of around 108 FPS, while the GTX 1070 Ti had an average performance of about 102 FPS in our benchmark tests.
- The GTX 1070 Ti had an average peak temperature of 55.7°C in our gaming benchmarks, whereas the RTX 2060 had a minutely higher peak temperature of 56.3°C.
- The RTX 2060 has the potential to severely outperform the GTX 1070 Ti due to its support of AI upscaling.
GTX 1070 Ti Vs RTX 2060
|Technical Specs||GeForce GTX 1070 Ti||GeForce RTX 2060|
|Transistors||7,200 million||10,800 million|
|L1 Cache||48KB (per SM)||64KB (per SM)|
|Memory Bus Width||256bit||192bit|
|Memory Bandwidth||256.3 GB/s||336.0 GB/s|
|Release Date||Nov 2nd, 2017||Jan 7th, 2019|
- Process Size: Starting off the architectural differences, the RTX 2060 has processing nodes of 12nm, whilst the GTX 1070 Ti has processing nodes of 16nm.
- Clock Speeds: The RTX 2060 has a base clock of 1365MHz, which boosts up to 1680MHz. Meanwhile, the GTX 1070 Ti has a base frequency of 1607MHz, which boosts up to 1683MHz.
- VRAM: The RTX 2060 has a smaller VRAM size of 6GB, whereas the 1070 Ti has a larger VRAM size of 8GB. This difference is significant, as some modern games list 8GB as a minimum for a smooth experience.
- Bus Width: The 256-bit bus width is also better on the GTX 1070 Ti than the RTX 2060’s 192-bit bus.
- TDP: Finally, the TDP of the RTX 2060 is 160W, whereas the GTX 1070 Ti can draw up to 180W.
To align your power supply with the power requirements of your computer components, we recommend reading our article on the power consumption of gaming PCs.
RTX 2060 Vs GTX 1070 Ti: Gaming Performance
In this section of the GTX 1070 Ti vs RTX 2060 comparison, I will showcase the performance of these cards in modern titles at the time of writing this article. All the games in this section were tested at the resolution of 1080p on a controlled test bench, and the specifications of the test bench are provided below:
- GPU – PALIT GeForce RTX 2060 GamingPro OC 6GB
- GPU – MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8GB
- CPU – Intel Core i5-8600K 4.8GHz, Hexa Core / Coffee Lake
- Cooler – Corsair Hydro Series H55
- Motherboard – MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON
- PSU – MODECOM VOLCANO 750W 120mm 80 Plus
- RAM – G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz CL16 1.35V XMP 2.0
- SSD – Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB
- OS – Microsoft Windows 10
Also Read: GTX 1070 Ti Vs RTX 2070 Super
The Witcher 3
- In the first game of our testing, the RTX 2060 and GTX 1070 Ti had an impressive performance, though they were mostly identical. The RTX 2060 managed an average of 97 FPS, whereas the GTX 1070 Ti had an average of 90 FPS.
- 1% lows on either card did not dip substantially below what we saw in their average framerate. The RTX 2060 maintained 1% lows of 93 FPS, whereas the GTX 1070 Ti had slightly lower 1% lows of 86 FPS.
- Both cards also had similar thermal performance while playing The Witcher 3. The RTX 2060 was slightly warmer, with a peak temperature of 65°C, whereas the GTX 1070 Ti had a peak temperature closer to 63°C.
Also Read: GTX 1060 Vs RTX 2060
Far Cry 5
- In Far Cry 5, the GTX 1070 Ti and RTX 2060 GPUs offer solid performance. The RTX 2060 outshone the competition with a slightly higher average of 122 FPS, surpassing the GTX 1070 Ti’s average of 113 FPS.
- Both GPUs demonstrated similar performance during graphically challenging sequences, with comparable 1% lows. The GTX 1070 Ti maintained 1% lows of 110 FPS, while the RTX 2060 recorded higher 1% lows of 119 FPS.
- Regarding temperatures, the GTX 1070 Ti and RTX 2060 exhibited similar peak temperatures, with the GTX 1070 Ti reaching 66°C and the RTX 2060 operating at 65°C.
Also Read: RTX 2060 Super vs RTX 3060
Rise Of The Tomb Raider
- In Rise of the Tomb Raider, the GTX 1070 Ti and RTX 2060 GPUs deliver commendable performance. The RTX 2060 once again outperformed the competition with a marginally higher average frame rate of 124 FPS, surpassing the average of 118 FPS achieved by the GTX 1070 Ti.
- In active scenes where a lot of action was taking place, both GPUs performed similarly. The RTX 2060 recorded 1% lows of 97 FPS, and the GTX 1070 Ti maintained 1% lows of 94 FPS.
- In terms of temperatures, the GTX 1070 Ti and RTX 2060 exhibited similar peak temperatures, with the GTX 1070 Ti reaching 67°C and the RTX 2060 operating at 68°C.
Also Read: RTX 2060 Vs GTX 1660 Ti
Forza Horizon 5
- In Forza Horizon 5, the GTX 1070 Ti and RTX 2060 GPUs had an unnoticeable difference in performance. The GTX 1070 Ti achieved an average of 122 FPS, slightly surpassing the RTX 2060’s average of 119 FPS.
- While driving in demanding landscapes, both GPUs exhibited comparable 1% lows, with the GTX 1070 Ti achieving 1% lows of 103 FPS and the RTX 2060 delivering 1% lows of 99 FPS.
- Switching our focus to temperature, the RTX 2060 operated at a lower peak temperature of 60°C, while the GTX 1070 Ti reached a higher peak temperature of 63°C.
Related: RTX 2060 Vs AMD RX 6600 XT
Tom Clancy’s The Division
- The GTX 1070 Ti and RTX 2060 GPUs demonstrate similar performance in Tom Clancy’s The Division. The GTX 1070 Ti achieves an average of 91 FPS, while the RTX 2060 slightly surpasses it with an average of 94 FPS.
- The Division equalized both of these graphics cards in terms 1% lows, with the GTX 1070 Ti recording 1% lows of 63 FPS and the RTX 2060 delivering 1% lows of 65 FPS.
- In terms of temperatures, the GTX 1070 Ti peaks at around 68°C, while the RTX 2060 operates at a lower peak temperature of 66°C.
Also Read: RTX 2060 Vs GTX 1080
Watch Dogs 2
- In Watch Dogs 2, the RTX 2060 outperforms the GTX 1070 Ti. The RTX 2060 achieves an average of 75 FPS, surpassing the GTX 1070 Ti’s average of 67 FPS.
- Whilst roaming around in the open world of Watch Dogs 2, the RTX 2060 maintains higher 1% lows of 70 FPS, compared to the GTX 1070 Ti’s 1% lows of 64 FPS.
- In regard to temperatures, the GTX 1070 Ti reaches a peak of 65°C in Watch Dogs 2, while the RTX 2060 operates at a slightly lower peak of 63°C.
More From 2060: RTX 3050 Vs 2060
- In Battlefield V, the RTX 2060 outperforms the GTX 1070 Ti with a higher average of 122 FPS, compared to the GTX 1070 Ti’s average of 112 FPS.
- During intense gameplay moments, the RTX 2060 also performs better with higher 1% lows of 103 FPS, while the GTX 1070 Ti has 1% lows of 96 FPS.
- When it comes to temperatures, the GTX 1070 Ti reaches its highest temperature at about 66°C, while the RTX 2060 operates at a slightly lower peak temperature of 64°C.
Also Read: RX 6600 Vs RTX 2060
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey performs better on the RTX 2060 than the GTX 1070 Ti. The RTX 2060 achieves a higher average of 89 FPS, outperforming the GTX 1070 Ti’s average of 74 FPS.
- During demanding sequences, the RTX 2060 maintains higher 1% lows of 74 FPS, while the GTX 1070 Ti falls slightly behind with 1% lows of 71 FPS.
- Finally, the GTX 1070 Ti reaches a peak temperature of 64°C, while the RTX 2060 operates at a slightly lower peak temperature of 62°C in the last game of our testing.
Also Check: RTX 2060 Vs RX Vega 56
GTX 1070 Ti Vs RTX 2060: Overall Gaming Performance
Having discussed the performance of these cards in various games, I will highlight the average performance of this part of the GTX 1070 Ti vs RTX 2060 comparison.
- The RTX 2060 averaged about 108 FPS in our gaming benchmarks, whereas the GTX 1070 Ti had an average performance of 102 FPS.
- The 1% lows were also slightly better on the RTX 2060, maintaining 92 FPS compared to 86 FPS on the GTX 1070 Ti.
The performance of both these cards is neck and neck, though there are some factors to note.
The most important thing to remember is the RTX 2060 Ti comes with the support of DLSS, which can drastically improve the framerate in your games while keeping the same level of visual fidelity.
You can still use AMD’s upscaling software (FSR) on older cards like the 1070 Ti to boost performance similarly. However, more often than not, this has a noticeable hit on your game’s visuals, making it more grainy and introducing artifacts.
Another key aspect differentiating these cards is ray tracing. Though the ray tracing on the lowest-tier RTX card (the RTX 2060) is not amazing, it is still present. Turning on ray tracing in some lighter titles can dramatically boost the game’s atmosphere while still keeping the framerate playable. Unfortunately, the GTX 1070 Ti is completely devoid of this technology.
More From 2060: RTX 2060 Vs 3060
- The GTX 1070 Ti had an average peak temperature of 55.7°C in the benchmark tests.
- The RTX 2060 had a slightly higher peak temperature of 56.3°C.
Overall, the temperature difference between these two cards is insufficient to make it a deciding factor. It is important to remember that both cards operate well within the safe temperature limits enforced by each card’s manufacturer.
To see whether your GPU is idling in a safe temperature range, we would recommend reading our guide on safe GPU idle temperatures.
Price And Availability
Being older cards, the best value you can find for these GPUs is in the used market. The RTX 2060 could cost around $150, whereas the GTX 1070 Ti is closer to $130.
You can find renewed versions of these cards on popular e-commerce websites like Amazon. It is highly unlikely that you would come across either of these cards while walking around any big technology retailer like Microcenter, so availability is pretty limited outside of the used market.
It is important to gather information because buying or selling PC parts is about current market trends. To do so, we suggest you take a look at our valuation guide.
Which One Should You Go For?
Having discussed the performance of both these graphics cards, in this section of the RTX 1070 vs RTX 2060 comparison, I will announce the winner of this comparison while considering the merits of both cards.
The RTX 2060, is the clear winner of this comparison, boasting better performance than the GTX 1070 Ti, whilst having a price difference that is largely negligible. In our comparison, we highlighted the difference in raw performance between these two cards, not considering the bells and whistles of the RTX card.
If we compare these cards with DLSS turned on, the RTX 2060 will have a much larger performance gap than the older GPU. In addition, the 2060 can also utilize hardware-accelerated ray tracing, the support the GTX 1070 Ti lacks. On top of this, the RTX 2060 has a lower TDP than the 1070 Ti, so it will give more performance while consuming less power.
For people that recognize that the RTX 2060 does not have great performance in ray-traced games and can do without the feature, in addition to not wanting any artifacts in their games, the GTX 1070 Ti might seem like a slightly better deal, thanks to its slightly lower price.
We highlighted the median price of this card in the price and availability section, but you can realistically find this card for much less very easily. So, for budget-minded consumers, the GTX 1070 Ti is the better option.
Pros And Cons
|RTX 2060||GTX 1070 Ti|
|Being a generation newer, the RTX 2060 should get driver updates for a few years longer than the GTX 1070 Ti.||It does not give great results when gaming at 1440p or 4k.||Being an older card, you are not likely to find a problem for which a solution does not exist online.||It has nothing in the way of modern gaming features, not even supporting DLSS or ray tracing.|
|The implementation of DLSS 2 in the RTX 20 series of cards allow it increase the performance of this card drastically, without any noticeable dip in performance.||Being a lower-tier card of a risky generation, you might find that some features like ray tracing are not baked in well enough to enjoy while gaming.||It provides great value if you decide to buy from the used market.||The power draw is higher than the RTX 2060.|
Frequently Asked Questions
Both the RTX 2060 and 1070 Ti represent excellent value as entry-level cards.
Yes, the RTX 2060 occupies considerably less space than the GTX 1070 Ti, mainly because it has a 1.5-inch shorter board length.
Yes, DLSS gives a very noticeable boost to the performance of the RTX 2060 without noticeably sacrificing visual quality.
More From RTX 2060
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔