Running the computer in Clean Mode is a simple way of detecting faulty software and applications on your system. Here’s how to clean boot your computer to troubleshoot system errors and instability.
- Clean booting the computer is reliable for diagnosing software conflicts or other issues disrupting your computer’s working.
- To clean boot your Windows PC, you need to access the System Configuration settings.
- Mac users can perform a clean boot from the System Preferences.
- A clean boot will clear space on the system’s memory and eliminate faulty data to fix errors and enhance its overall performance.
What Does It Mean To Clean Boot Your Computer?
Performing a clean boot disables all non-Microsoft services that are not essential for your computer’s usual working, such as third-party software, background processes, startup, and system services. Consequently, the computer only restarts with basic files and drivers needed for its operation.
How To Clean Boot Your Computer?
Following are the methods through which you can clean and boot your PC.
- Press the Windows+R keys on your keyboard altogether to launch the Run box.
- Type and search msconfig.
- You will see a System Configuration window on your screen.
- Click on the Services tab.
- Mark the box next to Hide All Microsoft Services.
- Hit the Disable All button on the bottom right corner.
- Next, go to the Startup tab.
- Open Task Manager.
- Right-Click each of the programs in this window and Disable them.
- Once finished, move back to the previous System Configuration settings.
- Press Apply and then OK.
- Restart your PC to launch it in Clean Mode.
- Click on the Apple menu from the top panel and choose System Preferences.
- Press Users And Groups.
- Click the Lock icon on the bottom left edge of the dialog box.
- Enter your Username and Password and hit Unlock. It will allow you to modify the settings.
- Next, select Login Options.
- Set Automatic Login to Off.
- Restart the computer from the Apple menu.
- Wait till the Login Screen shows up.
- Type the Login Credentials but do not hit Enter. Instead, long-press the Shift key and click the Login button.
- The Mac PC will boot into Clean Mode without any additional startup programs. Let go of the Shift key once you can see the Desktop screen.
- Check the computer for persisting errors. If it operates fine in Clean Mode, you can narrow the problem to third-party software or drivers.
- Exit the Clean Mode with a Restart.
Also Read: Explained: How To Reset RGB LED Controller?
When Should You Clean Boot Your Computer?
On several occasions, executing a clean boot on your computer becomes necessary to maintain its functioning. For instance, when;
- You encounter sudden crashes or prolonged freezes on your computer.
- The computer is running slower than normal or becomes unstable.
- You face hindrances while installing new software/applications or updating pre-existing ones.
- There are errors, or you suspect the presence of malware or corrupt data in the system files.
- Software or applications fail to load normally.
- There are problems related to the internet connectivity on your computer.
What Are The Benefits Of Performing A Clean Boot On Your Computer?
By starting the computer in Clean Mode, you can isolate and identify issues, like software conflicts, that may be causing the computer to malfunction. Besides this, it force stops all the background system processes, thus freeing up space on the system storage and improving speed and performance.
Also Read: How To Fix NVIDIA User Account Is Locked
In addition, you can resolve startup issues and various other system errors by clean booting the computer. The process also helps isolate and remove malware from your computer, thus protecting your data and personal files from getting corrupted.
Besides, it reduces the load on your system and the connected hardware devices to prevent them from malfunctioning.
This is all from our side on how to clean boot your computer. It is a useful troubleshooting process you can resort to in case of system, network, or app errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is a troubleshooting method that starts your computer with the minimum softwares and drivers necessary for its function.
Run a clean boot when your computer shows instability, like freezing, crashes, or problems with installing new softwares.
A clean boot will not delete any programs or files on your computer or modify your data.
- Fixed: Unable To Recover Your PC, System Drive Too Small
- PS Vita Could Not Connect To The PC [SOLVED]
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔