You may want to disable the Chat option in the Taskbar if you are not a frequent user of the app or if it’s taking up unnecessary space. In any case, there are multiple methods in Windows 11 to remove Chat from the Taskbar.
- The simplest ways to remove the Chat symbol are via the Windows 11 Settings and Taskbar Settings.
- You can also use the Registry Editor and Local Group Policy to deactivate the Chat icon.
- Uninstalling the Microsoft Teams app can also aid in this process.
What Are The Ways In Windows 11 To Remove Chat From Taskbar?
There are many techniques you can refer to, for example;
- Use Hide Option.
- Use The Taskbar.
- Use Settings.
- Use Windows Search.
- Restart Windows Explorer.
- Edit Windows Registry.
- Use Registry To Remove Chat For All Users.
- Use Local Group Policy.
- Uninstall Microsoft Teams.
Use Hide Option
This is the simplest method to disable Chats in your Taskbar. Right-click on the “Chat” icon in the “Taskbar” and pick “Hide From Taskbar.” The option should be gone.
Use The Taskbar
Right-click on the “Taskbar” and pick “Taskbar Settings.” You will see the Chat option on this screen. Deactivate it by switching off the toggle.
The Windows 11 Settings interface lets you modify any part of the Operating System. Therefore, you can decide to turn off the Chat icon through this menu.
Refer to the steps prescribed in this section:
- Open Windows 11 “Settings” and go to “Personalization.”
- Find and click on “Taskbar.”
- Proceed to the “Chat” option and disable it using the “Toggle Button.”
Also Read: Windows 11: Choose Where To Get Apps Missing
Use Windows Search
Alternatively, you can resort to the Search menu to navigate to the “Taskbar Settings” in order to switch off the Chat icon.
Here is what you need to do:
- Right-click on the “Windows” symbol in the “Taskbar.”
- Select “Search,” and it should open the Search menu on your screen.
- Type “Taskbar Settings.”
- Turn the “Chat” option off.
Edit Windows Registry
Another way to eliminate Chat is to edit the settings in the Windows Registry Editor. A fellow Windows 11 user on a public forum also vouched for this method.
Here are the steps you can use:
- Write “regedit” in the “Run” box.
- Click on the address bar and enter this: “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.”
- Navigate to “TaskbarMn” and click on it.
- In the “Value Data” box, set to “0.” Hit “OK.”
Also Read: How To Fix Windows 11 Crackling Audio
Use Registry To Remove Chat For All Users
With this method, we disabled the Chat for all users on our computer. The technique works because once you modify the relevant DWORD value, the icon automatically disappears.
Take note of the prescribed steps:
- Once again, access the Windows “Registry” and enter the address, “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\.”
- Right-click anywhere on the black screen and hover the cursor over “New.”
- Pick “Key” from the subsequent sub-box.
- Rename it to “Windows Chat.”
- Again, right-click on the black screen and hover over “New,” but this time, select “DWORD (32-bit) Value.”
- Name it “ChatIcon.”
- Double-click on it and set the “Value Data” to “3.”
- Restart the computer to put these changes into effect.
Use Local Group Policy
We also found that making a few tweaks in the concerned policy effectively removes Chat from the Taskbar in Windows 11. Although, make sure not to make any mistakes as it may adversely affect the computer’s performance.
Here is a breakdown of the steps for this process:
- Type “gpedit.msc” in the “Run” box to access the “Local Group Policy Editor” menu.
- Choose “Administrative Templates” under “Computer Configuration.”
- Select “Windows Components” from the following options.
- Go to “Chat.” On the right, click “Configures The Chat Icon On The Taskbar.”
- Put a dot on the “Disabled” option and choose “OK.”
- Restart your system and check if the Chat icon is removed from the Taskbar.
Uninstall Microsoft Teams
Lastly, uninstall the pre-loaded Microsoft Teams app from your Windows 11 computer. Doing so will remove the Chat option as well.
Resort to the following instructions:
- In the “Settings” interface, pick “Apps.”
- Then, choose “Apps And Features.”
- Scroll to “Microsoft Teams” in this list and click on the “Three-Dots” next to it.
Important: Select the Teams app with a purple logo and more than 100 MB in size.
- Select “Uninstall” from the dropdown menu.
- Again, confirm your choice by pressing “Uninstall.”
Also Read: How To Find MAC Address In Windows 11?
Multiple ways exist to remove the Chat icon from the Taskbar, such as via Settings, Windows Registry, Local Group Policy, and more. You can re-add the Chat option using the Settings, Taskbar Settings, or the Local Group Policy. Instead of choosing to disable, you can go with enable and turn on the toggle switch. Yes, uninstalling Microsoft Teams from your computer will also eliminate the Chat option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Multiple ways exist to remove the Chat icon from the Taskbar, such as via Settings, Windows Registry, Local Group Policy, and more.
You can re-add the Chat option using the Settings, Taskbar Settings, or the Local Group Policy. Instead of choosing to disable, you can go with enable and turn on the toggle switch.
Yes, uninstalling Microsoft Teams from your computer will also eliminate the Chat option.
- Explained: How To Turn Off Efficiency Mode In Windows 11?
- How To Remove PIN From Windows 11? [ALL METHODS]
- FIXED: Windows 11 Error “No Such Interface Supported”
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔
[How To Guides Specialist]
Dayan Shahid is a skilled mechanical engineer passionate about technology. With certifications in various programming languages and subjects ranging from microcontrollers to aerial robotics, Dayan can effortlessly present complex technical topics in an engaging way. His ability to bridge the gap between theory and practical applications sets him apart as he continues to inspire others through their insightful content.