Naughty Dog Reportedly Upset At Last of Us Multiplayer Cancellation By Sony

Expert Verified By

4 Years of Hard Work Wasted By Sony's Decision!

Story Highlight
  • Naughty Dog went through a lot of trouble during the development of The Last of Us Multiplayer.
  • The project was eventually cancelled, but a report reveals that many people were unhappy with this decision.
  • The project was reportedly in development for four years and was a main project despite earlier claims by Sony.

Naughty Dog faced many challenges with The Last of Us Multiplayer, and ultimately, it had to cancel development. Many saw the cancellation as a blessing in disguise for the developer, but it seems not everyone agreed with the decision.

An insider has revealed that the team had already worked for 4 years before the project was cancelled. This confirms that it was more than a side project.

Why it matters: Game development takes a long time today, so four years of work down the drain would hurt the morale of any developer.

During the Friends Per Second podcast, Jason Schreier, one of the most reputable and reliable industry insiders, revealed more information about the cancelled project. He confirmed that its development was quite resource-intensive.

Naughty Dog factions was in development for something like 4 years, with a team in the hundreds. There were some heads rolling at Sony as a result of that one.

-Jason Schreier

It seems like a massive team at Naughty Dog was working on the multiplayer project. Also, it seems to have been in the works since before The Last of Us Part 2 launched.

This comes as a shock since it was previously said that The Last of Us Multiplayer was a side project. So, it was believed that this project’s cancellation wasn’t a huge loss. However, the new information changes the narrative a lot.

According to Schreier, it is an extensive proposition for something that was considered a miss. He said that the cancellation of this project was not a “bloodless endeavour,” as there were some heads rolling at Sony.

The Last of Us Multiplayer
The Last of Us Multiplayer Was Quite Ambitious

It’s understandable that developers who worked hard on the project were upset by Sony’s decision. Unfortunately, Sony is unlikely to revive the project again, though it could be repurposed into a multiplayer mode for The Last of Us Part 3.

Fans were excited about the standalone multiplayer release for a long time, and it seems like Naughty Dog was giving it special treatment too. However, due to many layoffs and some internal decisions, the project never came to fruition.

Naughty Dog is now working on new titles that reportedly include The Last of Us Part 3 and a new IP.

Was our article helpful? 👨‍💻

Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋

How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔

Gear Up For Latest News

Get exclusive gaming & tech news before it drops. Sign up today!

Join Our Community

Still having issues? Join the Tech4Gamers Forum for expert help and community support!

Latest News

Join Our Community

104,000FansLike
32,122FollowersFollow

Trending

Nintendo Switch 2 Costs $330 In Japan; Global Model Is $120 More Expensive

Nintendo has confirmed a different price for the Switch 2 in Japan, revealing a much cheaper model for the country.

Nintendo Switch 2 Games To Start At $80; Physical Copies Will Cost Even More

Following the adoption of $70 AAA titles, Nintendo is set to move one step ahead and introduce a $80 MSRP for new games.

Team Group’s T-CREATE CinemaPr P31 Wins iF DESIGN AWARD 2025

Team Group's T-CREATE CinemaPr P31 Portable SSD wins the iF DESIGN AWARD 2025 for its creator focused innovative features.

Elden Ring Announced For Nintendo Switch 2

During the Nintendo Direct, the Elden Ring Tarnished version was announced for the highly anticipated Switch 2.

Nintendo Switch 2 Supports 120FPS Handheld Gameplay; Launches June 5

Nintendo has announced various highly anticipated details about the Switch 2, confirming that it has a 1080p 120Hz screen.