The Windows Update Error 0xc1900204 arises when you try to download the system updates on your Windows, and the process fails. Sometimes, the download is successful, but the installation won’t even start or crashes. Many causes are associated with it, like incorrectly installing or deleting some important software or mistakenly deleting vital operating system files.
- When you try to install or update Windows, the error code 0xc1900204 may pop up.
- The error occurs due to misconfigured or corrupted system files or important OS files missing from the system.
- You can fix this error by scanning your system for corrupted files, running the Windows Update Troubleshooter, creating enough disk space, and turning off third-party antivirus software.
What Does Error 0xc1900204 Mean?
When you try to download the latest updates on your system, error 0xc1900204 occurs. The causes attached to it are misconfigured system files, file corruption, or accidentally deleting some important OS files.
Users who face the error will see the following message on their screens:
However, the error can pop up in several other ways, such as:
- 0xc1900204 upgrade
- Windows setup failed with hexadecimal exit code 0xc1900204
- Windows 10 Update Assistant 0xc1900204
- Third-party antivirus software is creating problems.
- The default language is not set as English.
- More disk space is needed.
- Some important operating system files are missing from the system.
- Misconfigured system files.
- Corrupted system files.
- Internet issue.
- Problems with the program registry.
- The issues with Windows update.
How To Fix Error 0xc1900204
Following are the methods you can use to fix the error.
Use The Following Registry Tweak
If some process has changed your system’s default Program Files directory where Windows-based programs are installed, this might cause the error. To correct it, you need to edit the registry.
Follow the steps with full concentration:
- Type regedit in the run dialog box or the Start search bar. A prompt might appear saying that the tool will alter settings on your system; you need to confirm it. In the Registry Editor, browse to the specified directory after copying the path.
- An entry named ProgramFilesDir will be seen under the folder CurrentVersion. Right-click on it and then select Modify.
- In the Program Files folder, beneath the Value data entry, cut the incorrect path and paste the proper one.
- The correct path for the 32-bit operating system must be “X:\Program Files (x86)” and “X:\Program Files” for the 64-bit. Here, the X represents the drive where you installed the Windows. Carefully place all the backslashes and letters; otherwise, it can seriously harm the system.
- Hit OK to confirm the settings, and then reboot your system. Try the Update process again and see if the error is no longer there.
Launch The Built-In Windows Troubleshooter
Windows has numerous good troubleshooters to diagnose and fix basic Windows errors. This troubleshooter has been tried and tested by many users and is therefore recommended.
Here is how to do it:
- Firstly, you need to open Settings. For that, hit Start and then the option Settings, or you can press Win + I keys simultaneously.
- On the Settings Window, go for Update and Security and then the Troubleshoot tab.
- Go for the Windows Update option and hit Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow the directions provided on the screen to see what’s wrong with the Windows Update services and processes.
- Once the troubleshooting completes, open the Troubleshoot tab again and then Internet Connections troubleshooter.
- Restart your system and open Windows Update again. Hopefully, the error will be dismissed.
Older Versions Of Windows
- From the Start menu, open the Control Panel.
- There’s an option View by at the window’s top right corner; change it to Large Icons. Scroll down to find the Troubleshooting entry.
- Click on Troubleshooting. There’s an option “Fix problems with Windows Update” under the section System and Security at the window’s bottom. Go for this option, and then Next. Now, patiently wait for the completion of the troubleshooting process. Upon completion of the procedure, check for the error.
Ensure That You Have Sufficient Disk Space On Your System
Clear up your system and delete the extra files and applications. Especially remove the programs and apps that are useless to you, as they take the biggest chunk out of your disk space. Create maximum space for the update installation, as lack of storage creates many errors, including the glitch we face here.Important: The issue may occur when the user tries to download the update through the Windows Media ISO tool, and the available space is insufficient for the update to be installed successfully.
Also Read: Error 0x0000007A
Check Your Third-Party Antivirus Software
To protect the system against external malware threats, many users often install third-party antivirus software. These programs may provide safeguard benefits against virus attacks but can also cause the 0xc1900204 error and create hindrances in system functions, including Windows update installations.
To resolve the issue, temporarily turn off certain features of the third-party antivirus software and see if this works. If not, you must completely remove it by uninstalling the software.
Suppose the third-party antivirus software is the issue. In that case, you need to switch to other antivirus software like Auslogics Anti-Malware, McAfee Total Protection, Intego, Avast Free Antivirus, and Bitdefender, which will keep your PC safe from unusual and harmful threats without blocking Windows update installations.
Disable Windows Defender Firewall
The error may also arise while installing PC updates because antiviruses create firewall hindrances that block updates. If this is the reason for the glitch in Windows updates, you can try to resolve the issue by turning off the software.
Here’s how to disable Windows Firewall:
- Hit the Windows key, then go for Windows Security and select the Open option.
- Select the option; Firewall & network protection.
- Now go for option; Private Network.
Disable Microsoft Defender Firewall.Important: Make sure to turn the Windows Defender Firewall back on right after testing the method, as keeping it disabled for long can end up doing more harm than good.
Ensure That The Default Language Is Set As US English
Another reason why you may be facing error 0xc1900204 is that your computer’s default language is set to another language, not English. To fix the error, check your system’s settings and ensure proper registry configuration.
Here’s how to do it:
- From the Start menu, search for the Registry Editor and open it, then navigate to the path;
- Look for InstallLanguage and ensure the value is set as 0409, which is US English. If you’re using any other type of English, then set the value accordingly.
- Now, follow the steps and ensure your PC’s display language is set to English.
- Open Settings, then open the Time & Language section.
- Now, in the Region & Language, check which language is selected as the default display language. If any language other than English US is selected, hit on Add a Language, select English (United States), and set it as the default language for the system display.
After doing so, restart your PC. It might be possible that the error is now fixed, and you can install updates without any glitches.
Scan Your System For File Corruption
File corruption is also one of the causes of the error. It’s best to run an SFC scan on your system immediately. The SFC will scan your Windows and fix any corrupted files or modules found.
Follow the steps to carry out an SFC scan on your system:
- Open Command Prompt from the Start menu and run it as administrator.
- Type in sfc /scannow and Enter.
- The SFC scan will begin. Don’t interfere with the process; wait patiently, as it will take about 10 minutes to complete the scan.
- After completing the SFC scan, reboot your system and see if the error has been dismissed. If the error is still there or the SFC scan did not start, you need to run a DISM scan.
- To start the DISM scan, open the cmd prompt with administrator rights after launching it. Type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit the Enter key.
- After the scan has been completed, and if the error is still present in your system, run the SFC again. The SFC scan will eliminate the error.
Manually Install The Update
If you’re facing the error and cannot successfully install the latest Windows update, try downloading the updates through the manual route.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open Settings by pressing the keys Windows + I. Then click on Update & Security.
- Go for View Update History.
- Look for the latest Windows update and copy the KB number.
- Open Web Browser and type www.catalog.update.microsoft.com to view Microsoft’s Update Catalogs.
- Search the KB number you copied earlier.
- Select the latest update from the result list and hit Download.
Also Read: Windows 10 Update Error 80240020
Perform An In-Place Upgrade
Performing an in-place upgrade is an easy fix to try. This upgrade will install the latest Windows on your system, and your files and apps will stay safe.
Follow the steps to carry out the in-place upgrade:
- Download and install the Media Creation Tool.
- Run the tool and go for the option Upgrade this PC now.
- Once the process finishes, go for Download and install updates.
- Wait patiently for the updates to be downloaded completely. Follow the directions provided on the screen.
- On the Ready to Install section, go for Choose what to keep and carefully choose the option Keep personal files and apps.
- Some directions will be provided on the screen to finish the process.
After the process has finished, your system will have the latest Windows installed, and the error must have been resolved.
A Dedicated Tool
If you have tried all the other fixes and still 0xc1900204 persists, there is a high chance of it occurring due to system corruption. To resolve the issue, try using Fortect Repair.
It is a very beneficial tool for system cleanup as it scans the system thoroughly, looks up for malware and corrupted files, replaces damaged OS data, and optimizes the system for proper functionality and error resolution.
The steps are:
- Install Fortect on your system.
- To resolve the error, detect the corrupted files through the Fortect Scanning Process.
- Click on the Start Repair option and wait, as the process will take some time to complete. See if this fixes the error.
Reset Windows Update Components
You can also fix the error by resetting the Windows Update component. This method is lengthy and forceful, but you can try this as a last option to eliminate the problem.
In this fix, you will be editing the Windows registry. So, create a proper backup for all your precious files and programs to prevent data loss while following this method.
To proceed with this method without any further issues, you need to stop these core Windows updating services running in the background; Cryptographic Services, Windows Update, and Background Intelligent Transfer.
- In the Start Menu, look for the Command Prompt, click on it, then run it with administrative rights.
- Press Enter after entering the following in the prompt;
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Through Command Prompt and as an Administrator, you need to delete some files to proceed with the process and reset Windows update components, then run command;
- Through Command Prompt with Administrative rights, rename the folders; SoftwareDistribution and catroot2. To do this, copy and paste the following commands in the prompt, and after entering each command, press Enter.
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
- Using the commands, reset the settings of Windows Update Service and the BITS to their default ones. Ensure you copy and paste the commands without making any changes considering their sensitive nature.
exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- To finish the process, navigate back to the System32 folder. Type the given command in the CMD Prompt.
cd /d %windir%\system32
Reregistering The Files
- You need to register again all the files required for the proper functionality of the service as you have completely reset the BITS service.
- Open Command Prompt as an admin again and type in the following command to reset Winsock.
netsh winsock reset
netsh winhttp reset proxy
- Now, if you have completed all the steps mentioned above properly, restart the previously closed services by copy-pasting the commands;
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your PC and run the Windows Update. Hopefully, this time, the process finishes successfully, and you won’t be facing the 0xc1900204 error.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you try to install or update your Windows but the setup runs into an error, then it displays the error in either of the three forms, 0xc1900204 upgrade, Windows setup failed with hexadecimal exit code 0xc1900204, Windows 10 Update Assistant 0xc1900204.
The Error 0xc1900204 might appear on your screen while trying to install or update the Windows because third-party software is creating some issues.
You can eliminate the error 0xc1900204 by turning off the third-party antivirus software, setting the default language of your system as English and creating enough disk space.
- How To Fix Windows Error Code 0x80042405-0xA001A
- Error 0xc00000e On Windows?
- Windows Update Error 0xc1900223
Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋
How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔