Phil Spencer Admits He Made Some Terrible Decisions For Xbox

Expert Verified By

"I Made Some Of The Worst Choices"

Story Highlight
  • In an interview, Phil Spencer revealed that he has previously let go of Destiny and Guitar Hero exclusivity. 
  • According to him, these are some of the worst decisions he has ever made for Xbox. 
  • Despite having mixed emotions, he doesn’t have any regrets, as Spencer would rather look forward. 

Xbox has seen massive changes in a short amount of time. The fandom wasn’t too happy, particularly with third-party exclusivity. However, Phil Spencer addressed these concerns and said he has a business to run, so such decisions were needed.

Phil Spencer has been with the gaming giant for a while but admits he has made his fair share of mistakes. According to Spencer, he has made some of the worst decisions to date.

Why it matters: Phil Spencer is one of the most popular personalities in the gaming industry, but even he is not infallible.

During an interview at Pax West, Phill Spencer revealed how he messed up years ago. He talked about the games that mattered to him and discussed various events from his past. Speaking of exclusivity, the Xbox boss made a few interesting comments.

I’ve passed on some of the worst… like, made some of the worst game-choice decisions.

I’m not a regrets-type person. Maybe that’s a fault of mine, but I passed on so many games. 

-Phil Spencer

Phil Spencer passed on Destiny, one of the most popular live service games in the industry right now.

He didn’t think this game would work, as Spencer himself is a gamer, and it didn’t really click with him at that time. Similarly, he didn’t think Guitar Hero was going to work, which turned out to be a pretty big deal.

Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer
Phil Spencer is The Current CEO of Microsoft Gaming Division, Xbox

He doesn’t regret missing any of the deals, but it seems like he has some sort of guilt. Spencer explains that he could look back and regret these decisions, but what good would that do?

Instead, he tries to look forward and maintain a positive attitude toward what Xbox is currently doing. While he has many mixed emotions and stories about Destiny, the Xbox boss is focused on the future.

Microsoft is currently aiming to become a subscription-based company since it does not focus much on hardware anymore. However, Xbox is planning to release a next-gen console along with a handheld in 2026, which might be a game changer.

Was our article helpful? 👨‍💻

Thank you! Please share your positive feedback. 🔋

How could we improve this post? Please Help us. 😔

Gear Up For Latest News

Get exclusive gaming & tech news before it drops. Sign up today!

Join Our Community

Still having issues? Join the Tech4Gamers Forum for expert help and community support!

Latest News

Join Our Community

104,000FansLike
32,122FollowersFollow

Trending

FromSoftware “Very Happy” With Nintendo Switch 2 Hardware Upgrade

The Duskbloods had a much tougher path on the original Switch before the Nintendo Switch 2 improved things drastically.

PC User Finds Steal Deal With RTX 5060 Ti For Less Than $250

A PC user somehow managed to find an RTX 5060 Ti for well below its MSRP, obtaining the GPU for just $242.

Dishonored Was Developed As A Last-Ditch Effort But Ended Up Saving Arkane

Arkane’s breakout immersive sim, Dishonored, was reportedly born out of financial pressure and efforts to save the studio.

Malware Disguised As Leaked GTA 6 Builds Has Flooded The Internet

Fake GTA 6 downloads are spreading online, and they contain malware instead of a playable version of Rockstar’s next blockbuster.

Ori 3 From Xbox Is Reportedly In The Works

Another Ori game is said to be in development, but it may not necessarily show up at Gamescom on August 25.