The modder “MelekTaus” has released a new version of its fabulous configuration tool for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that allows us to change the values of dozens of options (many of them hidden in the menu of the Witcher 3), plus easy to install alternative like SweetFX which is the suite of Shaders.
Those who are interested can download it from this link. To install it you will have to copy the content of it in the root game directory (x: \ The Witcher 3 \).
AMD Radeon users who are suffering from the NVIDIA Hairworks problem can follow these steps in order to make the running game more fluid and you will see an increment of about 10 FPS.
- Step 1: Make sure that Hair Works is enabled (either for Geralt or Everything)
- Step 2: Open up Windows Explorer and go to The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base
- Step 3: open “rendering.ini” with Notepad and search for “HairWorksAALevel=8″
- Step 4: Change the value for “HairWorksAALevel=8″ to 6, 4, 2 or 0. (More for High end video cards)
- Step 5: Save “rendering.ini” and start your game. Enjoy a nice 5fps to 20fps performance boost (depending on what settings you chose) along with Geralt’s glorious mane!
For reference I’m using a r9 290 and I have little to no performance impact if I use 8x, if I bump it up to 16x then I regularly drop to 50 in intense areas (e.g. wolf packs). So there you have it, let me know if this also works for you guys – and also if you happen to find any issues that arise from doing this tweak.