Years ago, Apple had created MOV files for their Apple QuickTime application. MOV files come with a set of challenges.
First, MOV files are usually large. This can take up a lot of space on your computer. MOV files also aren’t compatible with other software devices.
Enter MP4. Compatible across software devices, and much smaller files, they are the better option.
If you’re looking for a simple yet effective way to convert your MOV to MP4 on Mac, you’re in the right place.
Here, we’ll teach you 5 simple ways of how to convert MOV to MP4 on Mac.
Convert MOV to MP4 With Animaker
Animaker is an online software platform that allows you to convert HD quality MOV files to MP4 for free. However, free accounts’ videos will have an Animaker watermark. You can convert up to 5 videos a month. Not bad!
Here are the steps required to convert MOV to MP4 with Animaker:
- STEP 1: Navigate to the Animaker website and click on Start Converting.
- STEP 2: Click and drag the MOV file you want to convert.
- STEP 3: After the video has uploaded, click the Download button in the upper right-hand corner.
In three simple, easy steps, you have a new MP4 file.
Pros: This is a fast, easy way to convert to MP4.
Cons: All free videos come with an Animaker watermark.
Convert MOV to MP4 on CloudConvert
CloudConvert is a free online software that allows you to convert your MOV files to MP4 for free. They also have some customizable features you can select before downloading.
However, they only offer 25 downloads for free; after that, you can either pay for credits or a monthly subscription.
Here’s how to convert your MOV file with CloudConvert:
- STEP 1: At the top, select the convert options to MOV and MP4.
- STEP 2: Put in your options for your video from the options tool.
- STEP 3: Click Select File and click the file you would like to convert.
- STEP 4: Click Convert.
- STEP 5: Click to download your MP4.
CloudConverter seems to be a good choice for converting from MOV to MP4. It has customizable features before download, such as audio bitrate, trim times, and more.
Pros: Customizable features before downloads.
Cons: Only 25 free downloads before you need to pay. Also, it is not clear if free videos have a watermark on them.
Convert MOV to MP4 Using iMovie
iMovie is a free video editing software. It comes preinstalled on your Mac. If you know your way around video editing software, this may be a good option for you. If not, there will be a learning curve to figure out how to use the system.
Here is how to convert your MOV to MP4 using iMovie:
- STEP 1: Open iMovie and click File.
- STEP 2: Select New Movie.
- STEP 3: Click Import Media to select your MOV file.
- STEP 4: After your file has been imported, click File, go down to Share, and then click File.
- STEP 5: A pop-up box will appear showing your video. You’ll have the option to change export settings. Click Next.
- STEP 6: Choose where you would like to save the file. Click Save.
iMovie is a good option for the tech-savvy individual who has experience using digital editing software. If this isn’t you, it may not be your best option.
Pros: It’s free and preinstalled on your computer.
Cons: If you’re not tech-savvy, it can be tricky to figure out.
Convert MOV to MP4 With WonderShare
WonderShare is another free online software that allows both Mac and PC users to convert MOV to MP4. The catch, the free feature, adds a WonderShare watermark to your video.
Here are the steps for converting MOV file to MP4 using WonderShare:
- STEP 1: Install the software onto your computer.
- STEP 2: Click Add Files to import your MOV file.
- STEP 3: After the MOV file is imported, click Convert.
- STEP 4: Click Download.
WonderShare is a good option for a person who needs to convert a MOV to MP4 on a PC, and doesn’t care about a watermark on their video. However, there are better options for Mac users.
Pros: Easy to use and available for PC users as well.
Cons: All free videos will come with a WonderShare watermark.
Convert MOV to MP4 Through Setapp With Permute
Setapp is a subscription-based service that offers over 150 super-charged apps all for under $10 a month. Setapp offers you a whole suite of apps that provide the safety that other online platforms cannot.
One app inside the Setapp suite is Permute. With Permute, you can convert MOV to MP4 on Mac without losing any quality.
Here’s how to convert MOV to MP4 using Permute on Setapp:
- STEP 1: Open Permute.
- STEP 2: Go to File > Open.
- STEP 3: Choose the MOV file you wish to convert.
- STEP 4: Select MP4 from the dropdown menu.
- STEP 5: Select the Play button to convert your video.
- STEP 6: Choose where you would like to save your file.
That’s it! No watermarks! No losing quality! All for less than you spend on coffee each month.
Pros: No loss of quality for your video. No watermark. Safer than online platforms.
Cons: Available through subscription.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Each Service
As you can see, you have a few options to go with when converting from MOV to MP4 on Mac. You can choose to go with an online software platform like Animaker, CloudConvert, or WonderShare. They offer an easy solution to the MOV to MP4 problem. However, most services come with a watermark, and they can’t guarantee safety.
Your second option is going with a digital video editor like iMovie. While it is free, it offers its own set of challenges. You have to be tech-savvy to use the program. It may take time to learn.
Last, you could use a subscription service like Setapp. With Setapp, there is no loss of video quality, no safety concerns, no learning curve. For as little as 30 cents a day, you can have a safe, watermark free, easy option.
Those are our 5 simple ways of how to convert MOV to MP4 on Mac. We trust you’ll find the option that is best for you.
For more information on this topic and more, check back on our blog frequently.