Half-Overwatch, half-Fortnite–albeit oversimplified, that’s one way of describing what Apex Legends. But it’s not exactly wrong, because EA and Respawn Entertainment’s Battle Royale shooter has heroes, much like Blizzard’s role-based shooter. So if you’re thinking of giving the game a try, having a quick background about Apex Legends’ legends–the in-universe name for hero–would be a big help.
Get to know a bit of their backstory, their roles, and their unique abilities. Trust us; this will help you choose which legend to buy with your Apex Legend Currency.
Starting With the Trinity
Let’s begin with the legend belonging to what’s arguably the most popular role: Frontline Soldier. It’s none other than Bangalore. A former military weapons expert, her focus is on damage-dealing, crowd control, and mobility. As such, it makes sense that her abilities are as follows:
- Passive Ability: Double Time – You move faster for a short time if you take damage while moving.
- Tactical Ability: Smoke Launcher – Fill a targeted area with smoke, occluding enemy visibility, as well as yours.
- Ultimate Ability: Rolling Thunder – A barrage of artillery fire in a straight line. Best used defensively.
Lifeline is the game’s official–and right now, the only–support class. As such, it makes sense that these are her abilities:
- Passive Ability: Combat Medic – You revive downed teammates faster than others while being protected by a shield. Also adds a 25% faster usage of healing items.
- Tactical Ability: D.O.C. Drone – Releases a drone that heals nearby allies over time.
- Ultimate Ability: Care Package – Drops a pod containing defensive equipment for allies.
Completing the DPS-Healer-Tank Gibraltar. From his built and the fact that he carries a shield, you can already tell that he’s more about taking damage than dishing that out. His abilities are:
- Passive Ability: Gun Shield/Fortified – Incoming damage is reduced by 10%; and by aiming down sights, Gibraltar brings out his projectile-blocking shield.
- Tactical Ability: Dome of Protection – Activates a dome-shaped barrier that protects those inside it for 15 seconds.
- Ultimate Ability: Bombardment – Gibraltar signals an airstrike with a smoke, targeting the area it lands on.
Hunter, Ghost, and Robot
Now if you’re the type of player who prefers recon over tanking, healing, or straightforward shooting, Bloodhound is the perfect legend for you. His skills are geared towards reconnaissance and detection, namely:
- Passive Ability: Tracker – Enemies leave clues, allowing you to track them with ease.
- Tactical Ability: Eye of the AllFather – Shows all enemies, traps, and clues for a certain span of time.
- Ultimate Ability: Beast of the Hunt – Increases movement speed and shows all tracks of enemy legends.
If tracking others down isn’t your thing, then how about doing the complete opposite: stealth? For Apex Legends, that role falls on Wraith. A woman from another dimension, she can phase in and out, as well as become visible and invisible.
Her skills include:
- Passive Ability: Voices from the Void – A voice informs you of incoming danger. This is why Wraith is often played with headphones on.
- Tactical Ability: Into the Void – Become invisible and impervious to damage.
- Ultimate Ability: Dimensional Rift – Open two portals that connect two separate locations; has a total duration of 1 minute.
On the other hand, if you want to provide a bit of versatile utility, or if you simply want to play as a robot, there’s always Pathfinder. Watch out; he has quite the high skill cap, but once you master him you’ll be moving about real quick, thanks to his unique set of skills:
- Passive Ability: Insider Knowledge – Allows you to hack into a survey beacon so you can see where the next ring will be.
- Tactical Ability: Grappling Hook – This lets you move to and from one place to another with blinding speed.
- Ultimate Ability: Zipline Gun – Props up a zipline that you and your allies can use.
Buying a Legend
Now it’s time we moved on to the legends that you have to purchase. By acquiring them, your account becomes worth much more in the Apex Legends Calculator. First on the list is Mirage. As the name suggests, he’s a saboteur that creates illusions in order to deceive his enemies. These are his skills:
- Passive Ability: Encore – Drops a decoy and cloak if you get knocked down. Lasts 5 seconds.
- Tactical Ability: Psyche Out – Creates a holographic image that will confuse opponents.
- Ultimate Ability: Vanishing Cloak – Mirage cloaks himself while deploying a team of decoys.
Caustic is another legend you have to unlock. He’s not one of the good guys, considering he uses biochemical weapons.
- Passive Ability: Nox Vision/Fortified – Provides threat vision on enemies within in your gas.
- Tactical Ability: Nox Gas Trap – Deploy a maximum of 6 canisters that release deadly gas when shot or triggered.
- Ultimate Ability: Nox Gas Grenade – Lets you affect a big area with Nox
Last but definitely not least is Octane. A young daredevil who unfortunately lost his legs; good thing they got replaced by high-tech prosthetic ones. His skills are geared toward recovery and mobility:
- Passive Ability: Swift Mend – Regenerates a certain amount of health over time.
- Tactical Ability: Stim – At the cost of health, this increases your movement speed by 30%.
- Ultimate Ability: Launch Pad – Deploys a jump pad that you and your allies can hop on and cover great distances.
So there you have it – Apex Legends’ current complete roster. By now, you’ll hopefully have picked up on which legends you’re interested in and which ones you won’t touch with a ten-foot-pole. See you at the Arena really soon!